Talk

Advanced search

Lip Licking rash

(3 Posts)
mumof2monsters Thu 11-Jun-09 16:25:45

My DS is nearly 8 and has a huge red rash around his mouth that makes him look like a clown. I guess it is from licking his lips but it looks sore and really does look awful.
He is being teased about it at school. HAs anyone else experienced this and what treatment could I use?
I have been using vaseline but not sure it is doing any good.

johnworf Fri 12-Jun-09 07:57:08

Firstly, I'd check with your GP that it's nothing more than a rash. Impetigo can also look like a rash and kids tend to get it around their nose/mouth. It's very contagious though.

My DSS has had a rash around his top/bottom lip, usually after a cold or in cold and windy weather. I liberally rub vaseline around the areas or give him a chap stick. I keep telling him not to do it but I think he does it and doesn't even realise he's doing it!

Will clear up in time. smile

MaggieTulliver Fri 12-Jun-09 07:59:07

Dd had this recently. I smothered in vaseline before she went to bed. And also told her to stop whenever she licked her lips and explained why. She stopped by herself although I imagine it could be a hard habit to break.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now