Talk

Advanced search

What do you buy someone second time round?

(23 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Thu 11-Jun-09 14:32:49

A friend of mine has just had a second baby - another girl . A group of us want to get her a gift. We got vouchers first time and happy to do that again, but is there anything you tend to need with two that you haven't needed with one that would be really useful to get her? (Please don't say a full time nanny!)
I imagine we'll be spending £80 - £100

StealthPolarBear Thu 11-Jun-09 14:33:31

She's also had a really rough time of it lately so we might want to spend some of the money just on her, which I know cuts it down a bit, but again, ideas welcome.

zookeeper Thu 11-Jun-09 14:35:49

I would get the baby a token gift and get her something to pamper herself - something likebath oils, expensive body lotion, voucher for a manicure (along with an offer to babysit whilst she goes) etc

screamingabdab Thu 11-Jun-09 14:37:09

Pay for a cleaner for a few weeks?

Gift Vouchers for Center Parcs?

<puts thinking cap on>

smallchange Thu 11-Jun-09 14:40:13

I had the same dilemma recently and ended up going for lovely organic baby/bath products from my local organic herbalist type shop for my friend and her ds2.

My mum was recently sent a basket with fruit/chocolates/mini bottle of champagne which would have made a fab post birth present.

screamingabdab Thu 11-Jun-09 14:44:14

Oh, regarding what to buy the baby, even though I had a second boy, it was nice to get some new clothes that were just for him, not hand-me-downs. So I would say, don't be put off buying the baby clothes, or a special blanket.

StealthPolarBear Thu 11-Jun-09 18:17:24

thank you for all replies, will give it some thought

Wheelybug Thu 11-Jun-09 18:20:23

I had a second girl and liked getting new clothes and toys. That said, i think if someone was spending £80-£100 on me I would probably like vouchers for somewhere like John Lewis. Or else, what about, we just had both girls handprints done in clay together which was about £100 - done by imprints.

peppapighastakenovermylife Thu 11-Jun-09 20:08:06

For her - something to pamper with / chocolates / token for baby sitting when she is up for it.

For the baby - I really liked getting a nice new outfit - something that will get lots of wear like a little cardigan - but something new and fairly good quality - next or something. I only say this as with my second baby everything ended up being second hand / ebay / tesco and being practical things. My friend gave me the sweetest all in one knitted cardigan thingy which to be honest she didnt wear lots but I absolutely adored it.

screamingabdab Thu 11-Jun-09 20:34:20

A Baby Book for her to write down the baby's milestones and stuff.

Sometimes we forget to write this stuff down in the obsessive way we did for our first-borns !

StealthPolarBear Fri 12-Jun-09 09:44:49

right I'm thinking about the luxury fruit / chocolate / champagne basket idea as well as vouchers for baby stuff with the rest of the money - what do people think of Pumpkin Patch? If that's no good I'll go for something more dept store-ish

StealthPolarBear Fri 12-Jun-09 09:52:04

I personally didn't enjoy getting flowers when I had just given birth - finding a vase and sticking them in was just another job. Am I alone in this?

Ceolas Fri 12-Jun-09 09:55:49

What about paying for her to have her ironing done for a few weeks? Not sure I would have bothered with fruit/chocs/champagne really.

Or cook some meals for her freezer/get some delivered from one of those services (can't remember a name)

yawningmonster Fri 12-Jun-09 11:05:45

have just had my second baby and hands down the two most useful wonderful gifts have been a cleaner from my mum and my friends got together and froze about 3-4 meals each and am still getting through them at 5 weeks post delivery...wonderful!!!

StealthPolarBear Fri 12-Jun-09 12:04:44

really?
Hmm so cleaner is looking like a good idea
But she has a DH for that!
Not sure whether I'd be pleased or slightly insulted if someone hired a cleaner - can you get 'cleaner vouchers' to be used as a one off as I think that might be better? Will look into it, thanks.
Also, as I said there's a group of us and so far I'm the only other one with any DCs - will the non-DC ones think hmm if I suggest a cleaner?!

screamingabdab Fri 12-Jun-09 12:15:29

They might think hmm, but only because they don't know any better!

Go with your instincts, though

screamingabdab Fri 12-Jun-09 12:17:55

yawningmonster meal idea is a good one. Isn't there a company that delivers really nice frozen meals?

Me and DH existed on filled pasta for about 3 weeks after DS2s birth

HeadFairy Fri 12-Jun-09 12:18:26

I must agree with the cleaner thing... even if it's just a couple of sessions. It all helps. And the food idea is lovely too. I'd love it if my mum cooked me 5 weeks worth of food, she's such a great cook!

HeadFairy Fri 12-Jun-09 12:23:55

my mum has used cook when she's been away on business and needs to stock up on decent food for the freezer... they're really nice. Could always say you'll pay for x amount of food from there if they want to choose it.

Ceolas Fri 12-Jun-09 13:06:40

Yes Cook were the folks I was thinking about. You can buy 'packs' from them or vouchers. But if you or your friends are good cooks, you could obviously do the same for cheaper.

nct73 Fri 12-Jun-09 14:06:40

I have just had number 2. I love that my mum sent me the boxset of 30 Rock season 2 via Amazon with a note saying - thought more use than flowers. Boy does she know me well. The group of mums I gather with weekly got me Boots vouchers which is means I can choose to use it on DD, DS, me or a combo which is good. I do love the idea of having a cleaner for a couple of weeks. DP is doing a great job of spoiling DD & keeping on top of chores but a cleaner would clean behind & under stuff as well as around. bless.

nappyaddict Fri 12-Jun-09 14:10:42

Stealth you have to get the ones that come in a box with a bag filled with water inside or in a basket with an oasis - no vase required!

peasandbeans Fri 12-Jun-09 14:14:52

my friend sent me a yummy fruit cake (in the post!) which was just exactly what I needed two weeks after the birth if dc3, and also a little outfit for the baby.
Now I make fruit cakes for all my friends when they have babies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now