Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me what a better response to my 7 yr old DD's rolling her eyes at me and being insolent is...

(20 Posts)
HerBeatitudeLittleBella Thu 11-Jun-09 09:22:47

... than screaming in annoyance and threatening no TV for the rest of her life?

Seriously, she has really been pissing me off recently. Exaggerrated rolling of the eyes, heavy sighing and pantomime shrugging. I feel like throwing something at her or boxing her ears story-book style. Obviously I restrain myself from that, but do yell because it really presses my buttons. Which of course, she now knows - she knows it's a sure fire way to wind me up. So how to do I take this control away from her?

Wise advice please!

HerBeatitudeLittleBella Thu 11-Jun-09 10:08:26

UndertheBoredwalk Thu 11-Jun-09 10:11:28

My dd (8) does this too, I go scary quiet and growl 'you will stop that now or X will happen' Usually you won't be going to x's house, or the cinema or whatever we may have planned at the time.
I've carried this through before so she knows I will and doesn't try me any more lol

ShrinkingViolet Thu 11-Jun-09 10:11:47

do it back at her? or a full-on Kevin the Teenager huffy fit?

GoodWitchGlinda Thu 11-Jun-09 10:12:11

Ignore it, or give a little patronizing snigger and walk away. She will feel stupid.

If you get angry, you are fueling the fire. That is what she wants. If you treat her like she is being a bit silly and childish and you simple don't have time for it, she will soon stop doing it because the only effect she will get from it is to be embarrassed herself.

Worth a try!

HerBeatitudeLittleBella Thu 11-Jun-09 10:19:09

LOL at doing it back.

madwomanintheattic Thu 11-Jun-09 10:21:57

i do gwg's version and just burst out laughing. (i do have to fake it lol as am generally the most bad-tempered mummy on the planet)

totally not cool to be laughed at.

flashharriet Thu 11-Jun-09 10:23:19

The two things that have worked here are:

raising your eyebrows Margaret Mountford style and saying "I beg your pardon?"

delivering whatever it is you've got to say and then leaving the room before the eye-rolling can start

OrmIrian Thu 11-Jun-09 10:23:46

Stick your tongue at her. Or ask her if she wants an eye test. Exagerated eye-rolling is sometimes an indication of discomfort and tired eyes.

HerBeatitudeLittleBella Thu 11-Jun-09 10:25:02

LOL now have suitably groomed eyebrows.

I can't leave the room before the eye rolling starts as it starts as I speak - "DD you know that you are not allowed to draw until you have checked your bag is ready for school" - the eye-rolling will start at the DD bit!

But I like the idea of laughing at her. <Evil>

controlfreakythecontrolfreak Thu 11-Jun-09 10:32:19

give her NO attention for it... if she starts up simply leave the room and say something like "well we wont be able to discuss x then, your loss"" or "let me know when you feel able to talk to me properly".... and save your strength for the joys that lie ahead!

ICANDOTHAT Thu 11-Jun-09 11:23:45

IGNORE IT AND WALK AWAY..... IT"S GONNA GET A LOT WORSE ... SAVE YOUR ENERGY wink

cory Thu 11-Jun-09 15:06:43

I patronise unashamedly in this situation, 'yes dear, quite' gets a long way ime

PlumBumMum Thu 11-Jun-09 15:12:01

Eye rolling from 7/8 year olds, I can't belive it has started already, I'm like you it makes me want to scream at her.

I normally make her go to her room and tidy up or put something she really loves in the bin (depends how bad the eyerolling is!)

pagwatch Thu 11-Jun-09 15:18:29

I give her marks out of ten and advice on style and content.
" that was very good sweetheart but if you try putting your hand on your hip it looks way stroppier. Come on, lets try it again. What about a hair flick -that is always good. Or you could storm out? Perhaps that is a little advanced? What do you think?Don't be disheartened. If you just put a bit more oomph into it you will soon look like a ejit whenever you want to."

Surprisingly it works.

PlumBumMum Thu 11-Jun-09 15:20:07

ooh I like that pagwatch, that would work on my dd

dylsmum1998 Thu 11-Jun-09 15:26:01

ooh pagwitch i like that, i get the eyerollig etc from ds, must see how that works with him grin

Blu Thu 11-Jun-09 15:30:54

What Controlfreaky said.

DS has started experimenting with this - I simply refuse to talk or discuss anything with me unless he is polite and straightforward. I just drop all conversation, quite calmly, and say 'if there's anything you want, or awnt to do, we'll talk about it when you are polite'.

They think it's cool because they see it in films, but it's incredibly rude, and the sooner they get the message that being rude is not a productive way to communicate the better.

I couldn't manage any of the jokey responses because it makes me so cross!

HerBeatitudeLittleBella Fri 12-Jun-09 16:02:59

LOL Pagwatch I'm going to do that

stinkymonkey Fri 12-Jun-09 16:23:50

some advice on this sort of thing here Looks like they're all doing it - what is it with seven year olds?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now