Talk

Advanced search

Carolyn Webster - Stratton 'The Incredible Years'

(9 Posts)
TheDevilWearsPenneys Tue 09-Jun-09 16:35:48

Has anyone heard of this, read her book or gone on the course?

I have been offered it to help with managing my ASD son and am very sceptical.

TheDevilWearsPenneys Tue 09-Jun-09 16:36:05

www.incredibleyears.com/

TheDevilWearsPenneys Wed 10-Jun-09 10:15:19

bumpity bump

poshtottie Wed 10-Jun-09 12:21:27

My HV is giving me a copy of this book tommorrow (for free). I borrowed hers though I only flicked through it,it did have some useful stuff. I am also putting my name down for the course.

disillusioned1234 Tue 23-Jun-09 14:05:49

Hi, someone please direct me if there is another thread on here about this course, as I can't see one.

I enrolled on this course hoping for help but in fact I have never been in worse despair. I feel I have totally failed because I can 't keep up the strict regime of writing down every 15 minutes what my child does. I did not do Gina Ford when I had a baby, yet felt that with babies there was an option - some swore by Gina Ford, some did not - neither way was right or wrong.

But to be sent on a course that is telling you to talk like a drill sargeant, to save up all your anger and worrying for an alocated time slot (eg 9:30 pm - see p 163 of the book if you don't believe me), it is not giving you a choice, it is saying "this is how you do it", and if you don't you've failed.

If you have had anything but a perfect childhood yourself (and your parents as well - everything trickles down) I don't recommend this course as it will stir up all your parents' and grandparents' shortcomings.

I'd be interested to hear the other side of this - that course is wonderful - and also to hear what circumstance you have. If you are SAHM with a husband with a stable income, and you have all day to sit around reading books and following strict exercises and regimes, great. I just wonder how much of the population that would be.

In the future children will be raised by robots with total control of their emotions at all times, if this course is anything to go by.

(preparing for the backlash...)

EldonAve Tue 23-Jun-09 14:09:07

I have bought the book but not read it yet

disillusioned1234 Tue 23-Jun-09 14:11:32

Ok I should be more fair and say there are some good points in it, but the whole course is doing my head in. Maybe the pace is too fast, i don't know, and certainly there are some things in the book that are overwhelming, like all these schedules you have to do. And monitoring everything. You end up feeling really false or like a failure if you don't do it perfectly.

hifi Wed 24-Jun-09 12:57:33

dh and i have done a 12 week course and felt it very helpful. there were some really challenging children there and every single one improved.
a lot of it is how we interact with our children and how to do it better.
we focused on the 10mins a day child led play and it realluy inproved her imaginiative play skills and tantrums, this was more down to how i handled her. it waqs something for dd to look forward to and all it was was a 10min commitment.
its one of the only courses that has had clinical trials.

hifi Wed 24-Jun-09 13:05:58

i will see if i still have the course homework, it wasnt full on and i ended up filling it in on the way to the class. disillusioned im the sahm with the perfect lifehmm but 80% of the other participants were other adoptees , single mothers to 2 children who had arrived with profound difficulties and they saw improvement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now