Talk

Advanced search

Worried about DD(11) Seems to be really worried over something but will not talk to anyone.

(14 Posts)
mynaughtylittlesister Tue 09-Jun-09 14:33:35

I have been called in again to School (3rd time now)regarding DD. School are really worried about/for her. She is spending a lot of the day complaining that she feels unwell and in tears - head ache, tummy ache,dizziness, itching.... She has been having small panic attacks. I feel useless, DD is my 2nd out of 3DDs. She has always been my sensitive one, the quiet one, the caring one, the one that can get a bit over looked and trodden on. IYKWIM.
I know its a difficult yr for her, she will be changing schools after the Summer, she does know the school well, a lot of her friends will be going there and her big sister is also there.

Although DD is a sensitive one she doesn't normally act like this. She already started her periods (which was a huge shock to her and quite frankly I don't think she copes emotionally with this - she deals with it but she is so embarrassed by the whole ordeal)

I have booked her to have her eyes re tested just to make sure that they have not changed (she started to wear glasses last September) and to rule out whether that is what is giving her the head aches.
I have also booked her in to see a lovely lady Dr and am going to ask her if she will do a kind of MOT on her. Obviously I am concerned for my DD, not sure if I am over reacting, but I really feel I need to do something for her.

Has anyone else got any ideas that I could use to help DD get through this.
School have said that they will see the Senco and get DD put on the list to have extra visits to new School, which may or may not help. She may not like being picked out as vunerable (which she is at the moment!)

Any pearls of wisdom - greatly received

Thanks

MarmadukeScarlet Tue 09-Jun-09 14:41:10

Go and see/speak to the GP before the appointment, tell her of your DD's behaviour and your concerns before - so you do not discuss it infront of your DD.

Good luck.

mynaughtylittlesister Tue 09-Jun-09 14:42:59

Marmaduke that is what I intend to do. She is a very sweet lady DR.

mynaughtylittlesister Tue 09-Jun-09 19:52:59

Had her eyes retested this afternoon and there is a significant change, so she needs new glasses.
The opticians want to see her in 6mths as her eyes have changed so much since September.

I told her this evening that I have made an appointment at Drs and said I feel she needs a bit of an MOT, she laughed. She is quite excited at going to the Dr as she very rarely goes, in fact I cant honestly remember the last time she went!

mynaughtylittlesister Tue 09-Jun-09 22:26:18

Anyone??

notnowbernard Tue 09-Jun-09 22:31:30

I think your dd sounds lovely, and you sound very 'switched on' and aware of her needs smile

Glad you're seeing a decent Dr

I think just keep the lines of communication open with her (dd)... let her know that you're there for her to talk to anytime, about whatever she wants. Hormones may be playing a big part in all this

I also think it's encouraging that she was able to show her humour when you talked about going to see the Dr

mynaughtylittlesister Tue 09-Jun-09 22:59:20

Thank you Bernard. DD is lovely, in fact a real joy!

But I do know I worry too much at times!

Obviously here it is a worry as her YR6 teachers have collared me again today.

She was so funny when I told her about going to Drs for an MOT she said "Mum I am not a car!" We both had a chuckle.

mynaughtylittlesister Wed 17-Jun-09 19:46:39

Took DD2 to the Drs toady as she was lovely. Gave DD a thorough going over. Her blood pressure is low, not dangerously low thou. She is sending her off for blood tests to check to see whether she is anaemic, also they are checking her thyroid.
Dr asked me how well did she eat (as DD is all bones) She was relieved when I said that DD ate me out of house and home.

She wants to see DD back in 2 wks. She also said to DD that if she was worrying over anything at all, they had special people at the surgery that were specially trained that would listen to her and give her help or advice.

School have also been fab, they organised the extra visits for her, she went to one today and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

So we now have a few answers, what with her eyes changing very quickly over a short space of time and needing new glasses, she has low blood pressure that could be causing her dizziness. It will be interesting to see if any of her bloods come back with problems.
Maybe thats what has been wrong with her in the last few months. Maybe not one thing was the problem but a good few underlying issues were just getting too much for her and not actually anything worrying her so to speak.

I am so pleased that the School contacted me now, at first I was a little sceptical.

mynaughtylittlesister Wed 17-Jun-09 20:08:44

"toady" should say today! oops!!!blush

woodstock3 Thu 18-Jun-09 13:52:30

sounds like you have got your answers and school has been really good. would just add - you have probably already ruled this out but you are sure there is no chance she is being bullied/teased at school (especially if she is an early develloper which girls can be mean about?). the panic attacks are not so obviously explained with a physical cause as the other things.
if that is definitely ruled out, would also just check about migraines if the headaches are severe and the other symptoms seem to accompany them (tho your GP has also probably thought about this). i had them from when i was quite small but didnt realise that what i had was unusual until i was 12 or 13 - a migraine attack can come with dizziness, a sort of tingling feeling on your skin (is that possibly what she is describing as itchiness?), flashing lights in front of your eyes, intolerance to light, feeling sick etc. onset is often with puberty beginning.

mynaughtylittlesister Thu 18-Jun-09 21:03:40

Thanks woodstoock3, I will keep an eye out for bullying.
I am hoping that as her eyes have changed quite a bit since September that was what is causing her headaches! (fingers crossed)

Qally Fri 19-Jun-09 00:24:13

I got blistering headaches from eyesight issues. Still do if I swap between contacts and glasses, actually. I also had terrible migraines when puberty hit, and actually mid-pregnancy as well. So yeah, basically echoing woodstock - including the bullying worry.

She's lucky to have such an involved and concerned Mum. Nice second thread to open, after the one about that poor little boy in the street.

Pyrocanthus Fri 19-Jun-09 10:49:20

Your daughter is clearly getting lots of love and support at a bewildering time in her life. Apart from possible physical problems like her eyesight, this stage of year 6 does seem to be quite turbulent - my dd is going through it at the moment and there does appear to be a lot of turmoil and falling out amongst some of the children in a formerly very harmonious class, and, yes, some bullying. Their bodies and minds seem to be all over the place, and insecurities about friendships and new schools bubble over from time to time. I think if my dd was coping with the onset of periods as well at the moment she'd be in pieces.

Keep your eyes and ears open - if you can, ask around other parents to see what their children are making of it all, and whether there are reports of children being singled out. Even if your dd isn't being picked on, it can make for an unsettling atmosphere for a sensitive child.

mynaughtylittlesister Fri 19-Jun-09 20:43:12

Thanks guys. I will definately keep an eye/ear out. Her blood test is now booked for Thursday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now