Talk

Advanced search

What the hell is going on???

(8 Posts)
Imoverhere Mon 08-Jun-09 09:48:24

My DS is 15wks old and a lovely happy little lad, who from day one pretty much worked out night and day and although woke for feeding slept through the night (in that he didn't wake up yelling for two hrs like my DD did).

Anyway, over the last week he has started waking loads and staying awake. We had been on holiday and the first night away he slept 9hrs before a feed (longest ever), next night 6hrs, but from then on (now at 6 days of this) every 2hrs. In between the waking he was very restless and has become quite windy too, not something he suffered from before. He is BF but has one 3-4oz bottle of FF early evening (has done since about 8 wks).

I'm getting exhausted and wondering what is going on. I had all this with DD and it lasted for MONTHS and I cannot do that again, so I'm hoping mumsnet might be my saviour.

I've had some thoughts on it, so here goes, is it:

a) Teething (no drooling but he is putting his fist in his mouth a bit)
b) Growth spurt - he's a big lad, about 17lb already and long
c) Developmental spurt - he's just started grabbing his feet and putting them in his mouth and also grabbing things
d) Just being a baby and testing the will and patience of his knackered mummy

Please give me your thoughts and let me know I'm not the only one.

Imoverhere Mon 08-Jun-09 11:45:54

anyone? maybe I'll try later in the day.

wishingchair Mon 08-Jun-09 11:53:06

Possibly all of these coupled with disruption from holiday. Maybe really try to get daytime sleep into good routine (if not already) as that often sets the scene for decent nights. Try to up the early evening FF? Does he drink the 3-4oz ... if so, you could give him more?

Imoverhere Mon 08-Jun-09 15:23:34

Hi wishingchair, thanks for responding.

He's a pretty good daytime napper and is in a fairly good routine, but you are right, that kind of went out the window on holiday. He did sleep but not in his normal places or times. I have tried to give him more FF in the evening but he just wont take anymore than 4oz.

Perhaps I should try a different bottle, although it took ages to get him used to the one he's on.

usernametaken Mon 08-Jun-09 17:10:22

Could be that he is just getting back into his usual routine after being on holiday.

Check the teat in his bottle, he may need the next 'hole' size up and then he may take more milk for his FF feed and sleep better.

Could just be a growth spurt and will be over in a week or two or he could be gearing up for weaning in a few weeks.

Horton Mon 08-Jun-09 17:27:25

Google 'Wonder Weeks' - it may sound quite familiar to you. 12 weeks and 17 weeks are both Wonder Weeks so he may be going through one of them a bit early or late.

Horton Mon 08-Jun-09 17:28:49

Oops sorry, I remembered wrong, apparently 19 weeks is the one after 12 weeks.

See here:

www.livingcontrolsystems.com/wonder_weeks/content_ww.html

Imoverhere Mon 08-Jun-09 19:56:21

Funnily enough I've just got the next sized up teet for the bottle as he does seem to struggle with the one he has now.

Horton - The wonderweeks thing is really interesting. Not sure if that is what he is going through or not.

I feel sadly let down by evolution because I really think that at the other end of the umbilical cord should be the childs instruction manual, not the placenta (which should be small and compact), then I and everyone else, wouldn't spend our time wondering what the heck was going on with our kids!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now