Talk

Advanced search

Forward facing car set is 9mo or 9kg more important?

(15 Posts)
BrightShinySun Sun 07-Jun-09 20:50:34

Dd2 is over 9kg but only 5.5months old. On our forward facing car seat instructions its says from 9kg, usually around 9months. She hates the car and we're off on holiday soon so wondering if she might be happier if foward facing. Obviously safety comes first though so any ideas on which is more important? TIA smile

wuglet Sun 07-Jun-09 20:51:41

Whichever is the latest - so in your case would be 9 months. Sorry

CurryMaid Sun 07-Jun-09 20:52:40

Far, far safer to keep her rear facing for as long as possible.

Neck strength is really important and I think (don't quote me though) they don't recommend you going to next stage til at least 6 months - it's a development thing as much as a weight thing as far as I know.

Just as an aside, have you considered a rear facing next stage car seat? smile

differentID Sun 07-Jun-09 20:52:52

it should be at least 9kg weight and at least 9 months old.

nannyL Sun 07-Jun-09 20:53:01

unless she exceeds 13kg then wait until 9 months

But age is a guide and weight is the crucial factor.

children are so much safer rear facing

CurryMaid Sun 07-Jun-09 20:53:19

Oh, sorry, just read you've already got the car seat. Ignore my last post!

gigglewitch Sun 07-Jun-09 20:53:41

I'd agree that it's whichever is the latest. Better to be safe...
Can she sit unaided? <probably irrelevant actually>

JoeJoe1977 Sun 07-Jun-09 20:56:25

Not just weight and age, you also need to consider length. As long as the baby's head is still being supported by the seat it is safe (it doesn't matter if their legs are sticking out a bit). If the head is above the top of the seat then it is no longer protected and you need to go up to the next seat.

CarGirl Sun 07-Jun-09 20:57:50

Please keep her rear facing as long as possible, as long as her eye level is below the top of the seat she is fine height ways.

BrightShinySun Sun 07-Jun-09 21:01:23

Thats fine, just wondering, am happy to keep her rear facing if thats whats safest. Will just plan travelling around her tired times and make lots of stops!

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 07-Jun-09 21:06:46

She must weigh at least 9kg and be able to sit up unsupported for at least 20 minutes. Age irrelevant.

CherryChoc Sun 07-Jun-09 21:39:16

5.5 months old? In the US the limit for forward facing is 1 year.

Sorry it's a pain! I plan to keep DS rearfacing as long as possible without buying a hugely expensive seat (I have got a group 0+1 seat for when he grown out of his infant carrier, anyone know how long they can be rearfacing in those?)

LadyAga Sun 07-Jun-09 21:59:21

The longer they are rear-facing the better.

Your baby is at a far greater risk of a broken neck or snapped spine with a forward facing seat if you are in an accident.

I had the same thought when my DS was that age as he is enormous and doesn't even register on the percentiles any more, but if you speak to a car seat expert and Halfords or Mthercare etc they will tell you how dangerous it is to put such a young child forward facing.

My DS is 10mths now and legs are bunched up, but his head is supported and he does't mind.

PortAndLemon Sun 07-Jun-09 22:15:52

Have a look at the crash test footage at the bottom of this page -- it really makes the point about relative safety of rear- and forward-facing.

Loopymumsy Sun 07-Jun-09 22:37:05

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now