Talk

Advanced search

Help, dentist says to get rid of dummy!

(15 Posts)
samsonthecat Fri 05-Jun-09 17:03:31

Not sure how to go about this really as I wasn't planning to do it yet but DD2 has to get rid of the dummy now. The dentist says it is affecting the shape of her mouth so it has to go asap. She is only just 2 and sleeps with it in her mouth, I have no idea how to get her to sleep without it but would like to get rid this weekend as I hate to leave it now the dentist has said it is doing damage to her.

ilovecake Fri 05-Jun-09 17:31:01

Our DS age 3 this weekend had dummy from birth. We cut it back to having at bedtime only at least 6 mths ago and then about a month ago we decided to bite the bullet and told him that all the dummies were lost and we couldnt find them. He was upset for about 10 mins and then dropped off to sleep. Our anticipation of his response was far worse then the actual response!! The dummy served our needs more than his i think. He asked for the dummy at bedtime for about 3 days and that was it. Friends have used the dummy fairy to take off dummies to other babies who need them - or have left a present in return for the dummy (a la tooth fairy) Hope this helps. Good luck.

A friend used Santa Claus to get rid of the dummy but that would involve another 6 months wait! The dummy fairy seems the most oft used.

FabulousBakerGirl Fri 05-Jun-09 17:32:51

Cold turkey but with talking first.

She is quite little so maybe go down the leave them for the fairies and then she can find a little gift she has wanted in the place of the dummy.

paisleyleaf Fri 05-Jun-09 17:35:55

There are farms around that make a thing of donating dummies for the piglets to suckle on.
It's a great idea, some have a dummy display, and everything!!
Spring is an ideal time as there are piglets.

janeite Fri 05-Jun-09 17:39:52

There is a book called The Last Noo Noo by Jill Murphy about a little creature (a monster I think but tos a long time ago) getting rid of his dummy by throwing it in the lake. We read that a few times with dd1 then told her she was going to get rid of hers and she chose a place to throw it away (which bin: we didn't pollute a lake!).

samsonthecat Fri 05-Jun-09 17:57:08

Thankyou, we are going to do it tomorrow i think. I'll let you know how it goes smile

blinder Fri 05-Jun-09 19:49:02

Not sure how helpful this is at this time of year but here goes - I suggested to my DS to put all his dummies into his Christmas stocking, which Santa might swap for toys. I made it clear that it was my son's choice. He did it, had pressies and NEVER asked for his dummy again shock. He was 2yo. (I kept them just in case blush and still have them in a box - 10 years on!)

Can you ask your daughter to do a swap, or give them to a smaller baby who 'really needs dummies' and get some wonderful reward for her generosity? I found that because my son chose to do it by himself, there was no trauma at all. He felt it was all his idea!

Good luck with it!

samsonthecat Sat 06-Jun-09 20:14:47

They went this morning.We told her the fairies had taken them for new babies.The fairies leftchocolate buttons and fairy dust for her. She cried in the car because she usually has a dummy on her car seat,has refused to nap with out a dummy but has finally gone to sleep after about 45 mins of crying/resettling so not to bad really. I was expecting much worse. I'll come back tomorrow and let you know how she slept all night. smile

notevenamousie Sat 06-Jun-09 20:16:23

I did it at 2 years 2 months on dental advice. We went and bought the big duplo dinosaurs set, as a reward/bribe, on advice from friends and from mumsnet. The first night was terrible. But after that, she did great. There is still a gap between her teeth 4 months on, but I so hope we caught it in time.

samsonthecat Sun 07-Jun-09 08:57:00

Well she slept all night but woke up at 6am and refused to go back to sleep. She usually sleeps till 7.30 or 8am so the early morning was a bit of a shock. It was much better than expected though. grin

morningpaper Sun 07-Jun-09 08:58:26

eugh yuck at morning waking!

samsonthecat Sun 07-Jun-09 09:00:00

Thanks for the sympathy morningpaper grin

blinder Sun 07-Jun-09 11:36:57

still - it sounds like it's going pretty well. Well done!

notevenamousie Sun 07-Jun-09 19:50:16

Sounds like you are doing great 6 am is a bit of a lie-in here... hmm sad
Well done you and your dd!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now