Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

gettin rid of dummies and 3yrs old!

(19 Posts)
shelly888 Fri 05-Jun-09 15:52:57

my daughter is 3, 4 in 4 months and still has her dummy and is in love with it! she goes to pre school every morn and quite happily leaves it in the car but wants it as soon as she come out from school. When she is busy playing she will forget about it but soon wants it again. Weve tried many times to get it off her but not suceeded. We have just took it off her today and said she can have it at bed time but has been histerical!
I really think its affected her speech. At pre school all the other kids her age speak so much clearer. This is my last thing to conquer, shes now been dry at night for 2 months so i was waitin for her to get used to that before i change this to!
i need sum advice!

shelly888 Fri 05-Jun-09 15:53:16

my daughter is 3, 4 in 4 months and still has her dummy and is in love with it! she goes to pre school every morn and quite happily leaves it in the car but wants it as soon as she come out from school. When she is busy playing she will forget about it but soon wants it again. Weve tried many times to get it off her but not suceeded. We have just took it off her today and said she can have it at bed time but has been histerical! i need sum advice!

applepudding Fri 05-Jun-09 19:10:49

My DS kept his dummy very late - until just after he started full time school - but - this was very much only for use at night and put away in the drawer during the day time.

He eventually gave it up of his own accord when he realised that the other children would laugh at him if they came round to play and found it there.

curlygal Fri 05-Jun-09 19:43:19

I can't offer much advice, just support am afraid as I too have a three almost four year old dummy addict blush

can't believe DS still has his dummy now as I am not keen on them but needed it for my sanity as was only thing that helped him sleep (other than 24 hour BF!) and he's just got into the routine of having it at night.

He only has it at night time for sleep but woudl like it a LOT more. WHen he gets tired he cries for it an becomes hyserical.

I said I'd get rid of it and one, than at two, then at three and now we are staring down the barrel of four and still using it.

As apple pudding's post I am hoping that he woudl give it up of his own accord as this is the way he has done most things so far (such as potty, bottle, buggy (still work in progress) etc) and I am resigning self to him possibly starting school still using a dummy at night blush

Hope someone can you you advice but just so you know you are not alone smile

helsbels4 Fri 05-Jun-09 19:51:45

Well......we actually have the dummy fairies visiting our house tonight!!!!!! DD was four a couple of months ago and still loves her dummy at bedtime.

She's starting school in September and we've made a big thing of her being a big girl now and so we've just wrapped her dummies up with a note for the dummy fairies to give them to the babies who need them and in return we hope the fairies are going to leave her a big-girls present (a watch, a necklace and some chocolate coins wink)

At the moment she's fairly ok about it but we'll see if she sleeps tonight or not.

shelly888 Fri 05-Jun-09 19:56:37

we said to our DD tonight if shes a big girl and stops having her dummy we'd buy her a pet goldfish, she just said, i dont want a pet and went and played!

helsbels4 Fri 05-Jun-09 19:59:07

Definitely perservere! We've been working away on dd being a big girl for months and up until now, she hasn't been in the slightest bit interested. All of a sudden, she seems to like the idea of the dummy fairies leaving her a present hmm

UniS Fri 05-Jun-09 22:42:18

Have started raising the idea that boy's (3.3) dummies MIGHT go to his not yet born baby cousin in a few months time. Also primed SiL to expect an odd present gracefully.

Stinkyfeet Fri 05-Jun-09 22:56:14

We went cold turkey with ds2, shortly before he turned 3. It wasn't planned - he was down to just the one dummy he would have (one with a star on hmm), and we couldn't find it one night. So, just kept telling him we'd have to look for it in the morning and he'd have to manage without it.

I sat with him, reassuring and consoling, while he tried to get to sleep - it took about an hour the 1st night.

As he got through that night, we decided to bite the bullet and dp and I agreed that even if we found the dummy, we wouldn't give it back. So during the day, we distracted him if he asked for it. I sat with him for the next few nights while he went to sleep, and it took gradually less time each night.

It wasn't easy, but not as hard as I'd been anticipating. So, in a nutshell, if you really want to get rid - I'd recommend cold turkey!!

starshaker Fri 05-Jun-09 23:02:15

dummy fairie visited here a couple weeks ago and left a lovely slide. dd has only asked for it a couple times but not been bothered when i reminded her. i used to think it would be hell. she had to have at least 3 at all times. btw she was 4 in april and i just got the nerve to do it a couple week ago. do it. its totally worth it, her speach has come on so much and oddly enough she is eating better as well

MamaMuesli Fri 05-Jun-09 23:23:37

Go cold turkey, be prepared for difficulty getting to sleep and more tears than usual at first, but bet it won't be as bad as you think.

MamaMuesli Fri 05-Jun-09 23:24:14

round here they hang them on trees for the dummy fairy to collect and give to the new babies...along with leaving a nice pressie of course.

helsbels4 Sat 06-Jun-09 07:26:56

The dummy fairies did indeed visit my dd last night! She didn't fall asleep until after 10pm although she was crying for her dummy or anything and she slept absolutely fine without it!

The fairies left her a big-girl watch (she keeps asking what the time is every two minutes hmm), a Pepper Pig necklace and bracelet set and some chocolate coins!

Fingers crossed for tonight!

I say, go for it. They'll all get over it eventually grin

shelly888 Sat 06-Jun-09 19:24:31

well.. this mornin i said to her that the dummy fairy has been and has left a special tin for her to leave her dummy in during the day and can only get it out at bed time and that after a few weeks the fairy will be back to take the tin and all the dummies away to give to the poorly babies. She isnt so sure bout not having it at all but was brilliant today, asked for it a couple of times but i just reminded her its in the fairy tin and shes been fine. Just got to conquer her sleepin wivout it next hmm

ministryofsleep Sat 06-Jun-09 20:19:48

watching this with interest - DS1 is 3.5 and still has a dummy for bed, trying to work up to him giving it up but not very hopeful

Marne Sat 06-Jun-09 20:30:37

Dd1 (5) has just stopped using hers this week blush, she has Aspergers and hates change so i thought getting rid of her dummy would be a night-mare. In the end she just stopped using it due to me buying her a new dummy which was too small, she just looked up and said 'this dummy is for baby's, its too small' i told her i didn't have any others so she said 'ok, i will go without now i'm 5' shock.

Dd2 (3.4) still has her dummy at night.

Claire2009 Sat 06-Jun-09 20:32:39

Dd (3.4) & Ds (2.2) both have dummy's, just for night times but I do want rid, will I have to do cold turkey on them both? shock

shelly888 Sat 06-Jun-09 20:41:38

im just gonna keep tellin her that its goin in a few weeks, she excepts things that are different alot better if we tell her in advance and she gets used to the idea before it happens!
she also like to countdown to things, like bedtime, i tell her 5 mins she like to count down the mins on her fingers. i may get a calender and mark the day wen the fairy is comin to take them away completly so she can mark each day off, i think she except it alot better.

helsbels4 Sun 07-Jun-09 12:51:36

That's a good idea about marking the calendar. We've been telling our dd about the dummy fairies for quite some time now, just so that it wasn't a huge shock to her!

The first night wasn't too bad because she was excited about the dummy fairies coming and leaving her a present but last night wasn't so smooth! Although she didn't ask for her dummy too much, she didn't want to go to bed and played up quite a lot which isn't usually like her.

We'll see what tonight brings! Good luck to all of us who are going through it though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now