Talk

Advanced search

At what age and size of child can i get rid of my booster seat in the car ??

(10 Posts)
maltesers Fri 05-Jun-09 12:42:38

My youngest ds is 8yrs and 9 in Sept. He is a good average size and weight for his age. Can i discard the seat yet ?? At 8 and a half it just seems so old to be still on a booster seat..

Sparks Fri 05-Jun-09 12:46:09

They are supposed to have them until they are 135 cm tall or 11 years old.

FigmentOfYourImagination Fri 05-Jun-09 12:46:12

From BBC article

Which children are affected?

I expect police to use common sense, not put out major dragnets... but to appear at the school gates from time to time to give people advice

Road Safety Minister Stephen Ladyman
All children under 135cm (4ft 5in) tall, unless they have passed their 12th birthday, must use a child seat appropriate for their weight.

Most children reach 135cm around the age of nine.

So, 12yo or 4ft 5in, whichever comes first.

mankyscotslass Fri 05-Jun-09 12:46:55

It is either age 12 or height 135cm.

I believe safety experts suggested 150cm as the best height to stop using boosters, but because that would put a lot of adults into the needing boosters category 135 was put through as legislation.

maltesers Fri 05-Jun-09 12:48:14

Ohm ok, everyone thanks. Will hang on to his seat ... he doesnt want to get rid of it at all . When he goes to his Dads for the w/end he doesnt have one and hasnt for 2 years now... not good i think.

FigmentOfYourImagination Fri 05-Jun-09 12:50:32

maltesers, "not good i think" isn't really the point.

It is against the law. Law which was introduced to protect your/his child in the event of an accident.

Can you not let your ex have your seat for the weekend ? Presumably your DS is old enough to insist that the seat is in his fathers car ?

FigmentOfYourImagination Fri 05-Jun-09 12:51:52

Of course, I am assuming that his father has got rid of the seat he used to have for your DS and also that he can't/won't purchase a new one.

maltesers Fri 05-Jun-09 12:54:35

Yes, i should ask and check whats going on. He can be VERY obstinate and stubborn and I cant face any more fall outs with my Ex... but safety is very important. I will mention to Ex its against the law. He also had DS riding his bike without crash helmet....angry

cat64 Fri 05-Jun-09 12:59:46

Message withdrawn

maltesers Fri 05-Jun-09 13:02:43

just the bottom booster seat he sits on. Without a back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now