Talk

Advanced search

Red Baby Books?

(24 Posts)
annashelley Thu 04-Jun-09 11:17:14

Hello Ladies,

I'm doing a research project and was hoping you might be able to help? I'm pregnant at the moment but this is part of my dissertation for uni...

It's about your red baby books.

I was wondering what you think of them, if you like/don't like them? Also, what your relationship is like with them? (do you always remember to bring them with you? what happens if you forget it?)

Lastly if you could sum up how you feel about your books in 5 words or a couple of short sentences, that would be amazing.

Thank you!

Hope you can help....

Anna x

rasputin Thu 04-Jun-09 11:18:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheOddOne Thu 04-Jun-09 11:20:44

They showed that both my boys were tall for their age - which i knew. I chose not to obsess about the charts etc. but then i am quite laid back about things like that.

Oh and i never forgot mine <pious>.

BitOfFun Thu 04-Jun-09 11:21:34

grin

I think they are good for first-time mums of pfbs, charting the growth etc etc, vaccinations and whatnot, but I don't think I even used mine for the second.

rasputin Thu 04-Jun-09 11:23:51

Tambajam Thu 04-Jun-09 11:24:31

Seems fairly sensible to keep all the information in one place. I usually remember them.

It's good that the NHS are finally rolling out accurate weight charts rather than using the ancient statistics. But it's a shame it's going to take a while before they get into everyone's red books. I know not all areas have red books so you may find some people on this thread aren't familiar with them.

I think they are a bit of a missed opportunity in that they could contain extra information like breastfeeding helplines and ways to get breastfeeding support with very little additional effort and negate the need for some of the ropey leaflets people are given in hospital.

Tambajam Thu 04-Jun-09 11:24:31

Seems fairly sensible to keep all the information in one place. I usually remember them.

It's good that the NHS are finally rolling out accurate weight charts rather than using the ancient statistics. But it's a shame it's going to take a while before they get into everyone's red books. I know not all areas have red books so you may find some people on this thread aren't familiar with them.

I think they are a bit of a missed opportunity in that they could contain extra information like breastfeeding helplines and ways to get breastfeeding support with very little additional effort and negate the need for some of the ropey leaflets people are given in hospital.

Nyx Thu 04-Jun-09 11:25:25

I did like it, it gave me somewhere 'central' to record vaccinations etc. However, I was quite bad for forgetting it. It ended up living in the changing bag as I knew I'd take that everywhere!

craftynclothy Thu 04-Jun-09 11:27:21

I hate them. Dd was always small (on 2nd centile) and I stopped bothering to get her weighed cos I was fed up of the HVs saying that she was small and to try and get more milk into her...she's normal; 2% of kids should be on & below the 2nd centile. I also got fed up of the HVs 'explaining' the charts to me - I have a maths degree and understood them better than they did angry.

I quite like the idea of having a book that records all their immunisations etc but the red book only has space for the 'standard' ones (i.e. doesn't include ones you might get if going on holiday).

I do remember to take it with me but usually have to spend ages looking for it first. It's also only needed for the HV & vaccination visits - doctor has never asked for it so hardly a full record of anything hmm.

So imo: waste of time and cause of stress to new mums

annashelley Thu 04-Jun-09 11:30:49

Hmm, all very interesting... so it sounds like the book is kind of like marmite?

Are there people who love it and people who hate it??

rasputin Thu 04-Jun-09 11:34:15

rasputin Thu 04-Jun-09 11:34:59

rasputin Thu 04-Jun-09 11:35:45

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Thu 04-Jun-09 11:36:29

I loathe them.

The only notes in mine are from the HV 10 week visit. I have plotted a few (home measured) weights on the charts and could kick myself for being sucked into the bloody things.

It wouldn't even cross my mind to take it with me to the GP.

They could be a very useful tool if more thought was put into them.

5 words for you:

waste of time and money.

mondaymonday Thu 04-Jun-09 11:36:47

I was given bf weight charts to insert in my book and that was last year. Seems strange that these aren't available yet in most areas

rasputin Thu 04-Jun-09 11:38:45

wahwah1270 Thu 04-Jun-09 11:40:40

most villagers here seem to obsese bout the charts, worry if a babbe is 25 or below, but seem to think they want a prize if their child is on the 98th centile. theey arent marrows.

PortAndLemon Thu 04-Jun-09 11:43:42

I always lose track of where I put them once the children get to 6 months or so. So I can see that (perhaps) the stuff relating to the first 6 months is useful, but after that it seems a bit of a waste. As pp said, it's only HV checks and vaccinations that actually get recorded in it as even if you carry it with you everywhere GPs and hospitals never write anything in it -- so it's not a proper record anyway.

abraid Thu 04-Jun-09 11:47:55

The vaccination part is very useful when children are older--if you press the doctors and nurses to actually fill them in.

My daughter is 10 and changing school and we have had to list ALL her innoculations since birth. I couldn't have done this without the red book.

Also, I've found the height charts useful as the children get older: just to see that they're weighing roughly what we should expect them to weigh for their height, etc. It's reassured me that my beanpole son has pretty well always been this, since infancy.

Geocentric Thu 04-Jun-09 11:53:32

We had one for DC1, then moved abroad when he was 7 months so stopped using it. I loved his red book (having everything in one place), and missed not using it again afterwards and not having one for DC2.

But then, I love hoarding info on the kids - I made an 0-2 yrs chart for each where I put all their developmental steps etc. and now do a yearly overview - I know, I'm just plain sad. blush

<prim over-organized emoticon>

CMOTdibbler Thu 04-Jun-09 11:58:59

The only thing in DS's is 8 weighings 2 measurings and his vaccinations.

No urge to record anything else, and no urge to take time off work to take him to HV.

cat64 Thu 04-Jun-09 12:08:07

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Thu 04-Jun-09 12:09:50

It's a good idea to keep all the info in one place. If only I could remember where that one place is...

abraid Thu 04-Jun-09 12:53:57

The funny thing is that it was originally the doctors who were so keen on the books--got this from my mother, a retired HV. But getting them to fill them in is a nightmare: cue, sighing, hunting for a pen, 'Where do I write it?' in a cross voice, etc. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now