Talk

Advanced search

Expectations for your LO's - walking/cycling

(13 Posts)
supagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 10:13:31

Hi all

Yesterday my car was in the garage and it was not ready until after school so I took DS with me to collect it. We walked there, which is around an hour walk going at his pace - he is 5. He was fine, he did not complain at all - it was a great opportunity for us to chat about his day and stop and look at things (it is quite a nice, quiet walk). We collected the car and drove back and I gave him a sticker for being so good.

Today I metioned this to a friend and she seemed really shocked and surprised that I had got ds to walk "all that way" when he had been at school all day. To me, this is not unusual - as kids we didn't have a car so would often walk or cycle to places and I often walk or cycle with the kids and leave the car at home. I mentioned that we sometimes cycle with the older kids (6&10) to a lake a couple of villages away and again she felt this was a long way for their "little legs" to cycle.

Having spoken to a couple of others, they too seem to think these are long walks/bike rides for the kids. I don't think I'm wrong and think perhaps this attitude is why there is so much obesity these days......but what do others think? I am quite surprised tbh and wondering if my expectations are too high??

SG

TrinityRhino Thu 04-Jun-09 10:19:50

we walked to the next village along the shore which is about 3 miles round trip with our three they are 9, 4 and 2
the two year was on dss2s shoulder for the last bit of the way back but the other two were fine

the nine year walks further with her dad sometimes

the two year old has started doing the whole 1 hour dag walk out of the buggy recently

I think mine are a bit useless at walking tbh and we are working on it

sleepwhenidie Thu 04-Jun-09 10:29:26

I think you are very lucky to have DC's who don't complain about walking - my DS is a nightmare - give him a scooter and he will cover miles but walking he gets "tired legs" after about 50yards and has to be cajoled/threatened/bribed along grin!

Ignore others' comments, I think kids are driven everywhere far too much these days too and it is bound to contribute to obesity. Your DC's are obviously fine and happy, I'm sure that they would let you know if they weren't! They will definitely benefit from the exercise, now and in the long term in their general attitude towards it.

supagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 10:33:44

DS is the opposite - if I take his scooter he will have "tired legs" after about 10 mins and I end up carrying it while he walks! LOL! Guess you can't have it all ways.......

SG

JeffVadar Thu 04-Jun-09 10:59:47

I find it amazing that people should think that that was too much for a boy of 5!

We live in the sticks and go walking regularly on Dartmoor. DS was doing 3-4 mile walks easily since the age of 4, and now (at 10) further than that. We also cycle as well.

I do find that I have to take a snack and some water with us to keep up energy levels otherwise he gets a bit grumpy half way round.

No wonder childhood obesity it increasing!

throckenholt Thu 04-Jun-09 11:15:47

mine are 6 and 7 - will happily walk 3 miles and cycle up to 10. They often ask to go for a walk or a cycle. They were very pleased with themselves to walk up Whernside and Pen-y-ghent at easter.

I think normal healthy kids should have no problem walking/cyclling those sorts of distances.

supagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 11:34:50

I am so glad to see these messages! Many of my friends just automatically jump into their cars for every trip - some even drive their kids to school on rainy days (it's a 10 min walk - they won't melt! ;O) ) and I was pretty sure I wasn't being mean "making" him walk so far, but it's nice to have the reassurance!

SG

mistlethrush Thu 04-Jun-09 11:44:04

Spent 1/2 term in the Lakes. 4yo Ds was happily doing 4 - 5 mile walks either morning or afternoon - with energy for more - no complaints (in fact demanding to do another walk the next day!)

cat64 Thu 04-Jun-09 11:53:01

Message withdrawn

usernametaken Thu 04-Jun-09 11:54:09

I was worried recently (DD was 4.0yrs) as to how she'd cope sight seeing all day. Turned out I had nothing to worry about as she walked 6 miles the first day, the 5 miles a day for the next 3. The best bits were that she didn't moan once and she slept very well!

We've just taken her stabilisers off her bike and at the weekend she rode 6 miles very easily and then 5miles last night. She is now 4yr2ms.

They have a lot more stamina than they are given credit for.

UniS Thu 04-Jun-09 19:54:36

If your kids are doing it, your expectations are not " too high" your expectations are right for your kids.
Today I bike trailered my lad to preschool, then he rode his bike to swimming( about 1 mile each way, took around 30 mins) in the afternoon and swam in a deep pool for 45 mins. He is 3.3. He can ride his bike 1.5 miles each way to toddlers and we live on a stonking hill.
I do think that if we expect them to ride bikes/ walk as transport they will manage it so long as we ramp it up gradually & allow plenty of time.

sarah293 Thu 04-Jun-09 19:58:50

Message withdrawn

branflake81 Fri 05-Jun-09 08:15:27

DS climbed Snowdon at 4. We are quite a "walky" family though and do a lot of hiking. Plus I hate driving so they have always been forced to walk everywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now