Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Toys/activities for 9 week old?

(14 Posts)
AnathemaDevice Wed 03-Jun-09 14:29:57

Very young, I know, but DS (9 weeks old tomorrow) is beginning to take much more of an interest in the world, and I'd like some ideas to keep him entertained/stimulated, which will also keep me entertained!
At the moment I sing songs/talk to him about what I'm doing, he has a bouncy chair and a playmat which he likes for short periods, we go out for a walk every day (he seems to like watching the sun shining through the trees), and of course lots of cuddles.
I'd like to buy him one or two toys as he's just starting to reach out for things (though when he managed to touch them it's more luck than anything else!) I was thinking of getting this
www.elc.co.uk/toy/blossom-farm-play-perform-platform/
when he's a bit bigger (he's a big lad already, but not quite big enough for that, I imagine), but I'd like to get something else in the meantime, or at least get some ideas of what else we could be doing. Thanks in advance for helping.

FabulousBakerGirl Wed 03-Jun-09 14:31:32

That to me is like a baby walker and not something I would use tbh.

Continuing the blossom theme though I was going to offer you the kids cot activity centre. They all enjoyed it and loved to look at all the colours and shapes on it.

apostrophe Wed 03-Jun-09 14:37:33

Message withdrawn

LaTrucha Wed 03-Jun-09 14:42:22

I had one of those arches but next time (hopefully) Id get one of those kicky things like apostrophe says.

Drawing lines / circles/ spirals on paper with a marker pen also seems to do wonders with my friend's LO.

Oh and if I had a baby arch, I'd get one with a mirror and a squeaky bit.

squeaver Wed 03-Jun-09 14:42:42

I'd get the best baby gym you can afford.

AnathemaDevice Wed 03-Jun-09 15:09:37

Thanks for the quick replies. I like the idea of drawing on paper, I'll give that a try. The platform does look like a baby walker, which does put me off, but he loves being upright as much as possible, so it would be nice to have an alternative to holding him up. Oh, that sounds awful, doesn't it? I like holding him, of course, but it means he can't grab at things at the same time.
I'm going to look at baby gyms- he already has this
www.elc.co.uk/toy/blossom-farm-3-in-1-tummy-time-arch-quilt/
but I'd like another option.

HensMum Wed 03-Jun-09 15:14:57

A musical cot mobile was a god-send when DS was that age.
Can you change/add toys on the baby gym? If he gets bored with it, adding something shiny might help keep his interest.

AnathemaDevice Wed 03-Jun-09 15:24:29

I think I might dig out the Christmas decoratios, see if there's anything in there that's suitiable to hang from the gym.
He's got a cot mobile, but he hates being in his cot during the day, and to be honest I don't want him in the bedroom on his own while I'm pottering around the flat. Though the animals on the mobile do come off, maybe I can add them to the gym...

SuperWasher Wed 03-Jun-09 15:40:13

We added a kick chime to dd's play mat and she loved it.

She spent quite a bit of time on her tummy with toys/baby books in front of her (she was lifting her head from v early though).

She had something a bit like this. It said it was suitable from 6months I think but both of mine used it from 8 weeks ish-they used to stand leaning on it and bounce/rock backwards and forwards.

Mostly though dd just wanted to be held standing up...

midnightexpress Wed 03-Jun-09 15:45:51

Now what you need is two older brothers for him to look at. They are endlessly amusing. I have just the pair, would you like me to send them round? grin

mamadiva Wed 03-Jun-09 15:50:45

My DS loved the noise of bells when he was that age so we bought some of those musical instruments you get in Tesco, like a little tambourine and a stick type thing with little jingley bells on?!

We used to hold these up for him or put them near his feet so he could kick/hit them and he loved it! Although I know I sound mad

Also we had this playgym, it's a lot bigger than a normal play mat and has loads of different textures, colours and toys on the mat itself plus the bonus of the over head bit! Would definately recommend!

If he likes sitting a bit upright how about a baby nest? It's like a big inflatable ring all padded and colourful, you start off half inflating so baby is angled leaning on the side so kind of sitting but still lying then as they grow you inflate more and move baby in so he will end up sitting in it great thing about these is you can also put these under the playgym so baby is closer to toys and easier to hit them as they are kind of sitting up!

Sorry a rambling .

HensMum Wed 03-Jun-09 15:53:29

Christmas decs sound like a brilliant idea!

Neohte Mon 20-May-13 15:10:51

This has some interesting points to consider.

gaitskille.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/the-importance-of-being-a-soft-toy/

TrucksAndDinosaurs Tue 21-May-13 04:46:44

A foil helium balloon tied to ds foot (fully supervised) was a big hit. He waved his foot and gazed at bouncing balloon. Whilst listening to music - he liked Abba, Bach and Jungle Brothers.

Obviously never ever leave unattended in case they tangle themselves.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: