Talk

Advanced search

my toddler refuses to wear a hat, and suncream makes his eczema flare up. help!

(7 Posts)
kissmummy Tue 02-Jun-09 21:05:57

He is 22 months so not quite old enough to reason with. For some reason he has an aversion to hats - i've tried him with two different styles. he just tears them off. ive been putting sun block on him but it makes his eczema flare up - better than getting burned but not ideal. Are we doomed to an entire summer in the shade? has anyone found any fun hats that toddlers like? or suncream for very sensitive skin?

fucksticks Tue 02-Jun-09 21:07:00

can you get one that ties under his chin?

MIAonline Tue 02-Jun-09 21:26:35

I'm afraid I was quite strict with this: hat on = go out, hat off = go in. It was quite a simple 'choice' My DS (last summer, similar age to your DS) soon realised that it was worth having it on! However, You have to be very consistent for a while and have it on every time he goes out.

We also suffer with the suncream flaring up eczema, we are trying a few new ones (natural, organic etc) there have been a few threads about this recently that have had some good suggestions for suncreams.

MegBusset Tue 02-Jun-09 21:35:02

We had the same problem and followed a similar strategy to MIA -- just kept putting the hat back on every time DS1 took it off. Eventually he got bored of taking it off again!

Also, we have found the E45 suncream doesn't aggravate his eczema.

pinkem Tue 02-Jun-09 21:35:40

E45 do suncream.

I got my ds a wide brim hat with a chin strap, i had to be really firm with the 'hat stays on' for a day or two then he just accepted it!!

gingerninja Tue 02-Jun-09 21:35:42

We use Lavera sensitive suncream which is ok and all natural ingredients.

You can also buy those wet suit type things that offer UV protection. Buy a size too big so it covers him up.

BananaFruitBat Tue 02-Jun-09 21:40:18

I know I've said this before - but try Johnson's Kid's Suncream. It's the only one that doesn't make DS's eczema flare up. I've even tried organic ones and E45. It's the only Johnson's product I've ever used on him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now