Talk

Advanced search

Balance bikes - suitable for a 2 yo ...?

(6 Posts)
Plonker Tue 02-Jun-09 14:32:26

...or closer to 2.5/3yo?

Dd3 will be 2 in July and I really like the look of the balance bikes. She loves to be outside and would live out there if she could, I thought this would be a lovely toy that she could play with, with her big sisters.

Are they suitable for a 2yo?
I'm a little concerned that she won't be tall enough (she's prob slightly below ave height)? Do you think it would be better as a Christmas pressie when she will be 2.5, although she wouldn't get as much use out of it weather-wise?

Also, any recommendations?
I've looked at the Rothan (think it's islabike) and that looks lovely (and small, think the recommended age on it is 2?).

What do you think?

smallorange Tue 02-Jun-09 14:37:01

I'd have thought that closer to 2.5 - 3 is more suitable - you may find that at just 2, learning to balance will be a bit too frustrating.

Mine really got into it at age three but a friend's DD was really good at 2.5, I think it just depends on your daughter.

I saw a ridgeback 'Scoot' which is bright pink and is tiny, which looks good quality.

Just remember to make her wear a helmet as they can go really fast on these bikes.

UniS Tue 02-Jun-09 22:20:22

Get it now, as you say wait till christmas and she won;t get so much use of it. She won;t notice a small christmas pressie inplace of teh bike she had earlier.

Rothan is lovely- our lad had one at 2, lernt to ride it by 2.3, was useing it as transport to play group at 2.6, just growing out of it at 3.3 and will be given a pedal bike soon ( offically His christmas pressie early).

Overmydeadbody Tue 02-Jun-09 22:24:28

Go and try some out for size. There is no point buying her one if she's too short to use it.

DS had one fro 2 but he is a tall child.

hockeypuck Tue 02-Jun-09 22:26:58

DD is average height and had an extra small puky balance bike at 2. He loved it. He has hypermobility so didn't walk till 19 months and I actually thought he'd struggle with the bike but by day 3 he was freewheeling on it.

They are amazing, I am evangelical about it. Definitely don't think 2 is too young if you get an extra small one. If you can't get one the right height it's worth waiting a bit longer.

UniS Tue 02-Jun-09 22:38:44

adding- Rothan lowest saddle height is 28cm from floor. measure her inseam, crotch to floor with shoes on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now