Talk

Advanced search

harness or reins for 15mo - advice needed

(13 Posts)
sleepmore Tue 02-Jun-09 13:36:57

Hello

I have a 15mo old and a 2 week old and want to start going to the park with the both of them. Up until now 15mo has been given free rein and she wanders in the park with me close by. I cannot do that now with a pram and want some sort of reins/harness. The harness I have is no good as the strap is so short you would be bent double using it. Can anyone recommend the best thing to do? I have heard of reins you put on both of your wrists.

I am teaching 15 mo to walk with me but that will not be fool proof for a very long time so a harness of some sort is needed.

thanks for advice

spicemonster Tue 02-Jun-09 13:40:41

I have a wriststrap for my DS - you can get them in Boots or 2 for a quid in the pound shop I have since discovered!

You can also get those rucksack rein things but I expect to be using them such a short time that it doesn't seem worth the expense

TheDevilWearsPenneys Tue 02-Jun-09 13:42:58

www.littlelife.co.uk/html/toddler_daysacks/animal-turtle.html

This is the solution, my DC loved wearing them, they can carry a drink/ toys etc and you can tuck the 'rein' bit away when not needed.

Wrist straps can be really dangerous.

TheDevilWearsPenneys Tue 02-Jun-09 13:45:13

My friend is using one at the moment and has clipped www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-2+dog/category-is-2d+collars+leads+and+tags/category-is-2d01+ext ending+leads/ one of these to it so her DD can have greater freedom.

She is not fussed about the frequent 'taking the dog for a walk!?' comments. he he.

Tommy Tue 02-Jun-09 13:47:38

you could unclip one side of the reins on the harness and hold it like a lead - I do that sometimes.

I've also just bought DS3 a little rucksack woith a lead on which he loves and the strap is much longer and more comfy than the reins one

sleepmore Tue 02-Jun-09 13:48:34

Thank you

Can I ask on the daysacks - how long is the rein and why are wrist straps dangerous?

TheDevilWearsPenneys Tue 02-Jun-09 13:49:17

Oh a good thing with the little life rucksack is you can hook it over your wrist, giving you two free hands to steer the pram.

spicemonster Tue 02-Jun-09 13:50:22

Yes, why are wrist straps dangerous? I have never heard of anyone being injured with one

TheDevilWearsPenneys Tue 02-Jun-09 13:52:04

Especially with cheap ones I personally wouldn't trust the velcro to hold. There's also the risk of injury if your DC falls.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/parenting/727453-Poll-Reins-wrist-strap-or-backpack

This thread maybe worth a read

spicemonster Tue 02-Jun-09 13:57:28

Hmm one poster saying they 'think' a child can dislocate their arm if they fall is not evidence of danger to my mind hmm

They don't fasten with velcro, they fasten with a plastic clip thing (well mine do anyway).

Mainly though I am just too cheap to spend £15 on something I'm going to use for about 6 months!

TheDevilWearsPenneys Tue 02-Jun-09 14:05:13

Oh I didn't link that thread as 'evidence'. Just for the OP to read.

It has actually happened to my brother when he was small. He's since dislocated it 8 times . Maybe he had a dodgy shoulder anyway, hard to know.

shivster1980 Tue 02-Jun-09 14:31:31

Another vote for the Little Life daysack. We still infrequently use this and our DS is nearly three. It's the only reins he will allow and I can bear him to wear these days but I need to know he is secure when out in big public places (still wanders off).
We have used it for just over a year and the best bit for lazy old me is as they get bigger you can put some of there stuff in it (age appropriate weight obviously) nappy and wipes, or drink or raisins etc.

FromGirders Tue 02-Jun-09 14:35:19

I'd probably still use a harness and reins at this age, but I bought webbing from B&Q and made a much longer strap so that I can loop it round my wrist when I'm pushing the pram. I love the little life rucksacks, but use them for slightly older children - then they carry their own spare nappy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now