Talk

Advanced search

Is there such thing as a sock monster????

(21 Posts)
foxd Sun 08-May-05 10:24:32

Why is it that despite constantly buying new pairs of socks for my 2 ds, I still end up with a draw full of odd ones? Is it possible for washing machines to eat them or does a sock monster come in the night?
Does anyone have any tips or ideas for keeping a pair of socks a pair pls??

Eeek Sun 08-May-05 10:26:21

always buy identical socks - ie all blue or all grey. Then, even if you lose one you can still make up pairs. Keep any odd ones for next time the monster fancies a snack.

bundle Sun 08-May-05 10:27:03

yes there is a sock monster, it's voracious.

also - buy socks in just 2 colours and then even if you pull them out of the drawer in the dark, you will always have a pair.

swiperfox Sun 08-May-05 10:33:55

I have bought dd soooo many socks. It drives me mad. I counted up the other day 9 socks that have lost the other one. I don't get it - where do they go???????

bundle Sun 08-May-05 10:34:56

only 9??? pah, that's nothing i have around 20 including some of mine..

swiperfox Sun 08-May-05 10:39:34

lol i dont dare to begin counting mine or dp's

bensmum3 Sun 08-May-05 12:18:08

Hey ,my sock monster has a family ?

Blackduck Sun 08-May-05 12:19:38

There is a sock monster in our house....its ginger, got four legs and woofs....

Lonelymum Sun 08-May-05 12:23:32

I have read that you can put socks in a pillow case before putting them in the washing machine and that way they don't get lost in the wash, but personally I believe in the sock monster.

Lonelymum Sun 08-May-05 12:24:47

Also, if you put the odd socks in the airing cupboard and leave them for several weeks, you often find the other one of the pair joins them. They must get lonely and call to each other.

highlander Sun 08-May-05 17:56:06

the Canadian sock monster is the worst I've ever encontered. DH came to Vancouver with millions of pairs - and now he's down to 4. very mysterious.........

motherinferior Sun 08-May-05 18:00:00

If there isn't a sock monster, I am Very Frightened Indeed

AngelCakeUmm Sun 08-May-05 18:03:35

There's a sock monster in our house too and its starting to drive me mad! do washing machines eat socks? I am sure mine does

Whizzz Sun 08-May-05 18:17:43

Top Tip : If they are little socks - put them in the washer in one of those net bags that you use for washing tablets !

foxd Sun 08-May-05 18:41:17

Thanks,
i will be buying socks the same colour from now and as for the pairs ive managed to salvage they will be going in one of those net bags. The vast amounts of odds will be going in the airing cupboard on the off chance the sock monster decides to return any.Lol Although im sure the sock monster is branching out into hairbrushes and combs as I never find them when I need them. I am usually the mum at school gates that loooks like they've been dragged through the hedge backwards.LOL

champs Sun 08-May-05 23:26:17

yep deffinetly!!

and a knicker monster too

foxd Sun 08-May-05 23:27:03

That is so true!!!!

MarsLady Sun 08-May-05 23:27:13

Yes! and when you find him can you get him to give back the children's school socks please, not to mention my lovely pink socks etc.

LGJ Sun 08-May-05 23:29:30

foxd

You have to ask

LGJ Sun 08-May-05 23:36:22

A longgggggggggggggg time ago when I was still a teenager.............oh, OK just barely a teenager. my BF's Mum had what was known as the homeless sock bag...........( I now have one) one day BF's DD got really fed up with this always filling up and never seemingly emptying.... he tipped the whole lot out on the floor one day.......and was very proud when he out of all the socks matched up one pair, only to be told Dad, they are leg warmers and they went out of fashion years ago... he never bothered after that

foxd Sun 08-May-05 23:39:12

A homeless sock bag sounds good a little depressing for the homeless socks though. LOL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now