Talk

Advanced search

Question about breastfeeding, crawling and sleeping

(6 Posts)
tostaky Fri 29-May-09 08:16:25

Baby is 7 months old. Solids are going well and i would like to stop breastfeeding.

Problem is DS has never been a good sleeper. Always wakeup at least 3 times a night for a feed.

A week ago i stopped breastfeeding during the day. I think that is when he started becoming VERY clingy at night, to the point if he doesnt have my nipple in is mouth he cries and wont sleep.

Do you think i should re-introduce a day feed (breast) to give him some re-insurance?
it also coincide with him starting crawling... could that be a reason too?

Help! i need some sleep!!

tostaky Fri 29-May-09 08:17:11

and more importantly i want him to fall asleep on his own like he used to....sad

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 29-May-09 08:27:33

It is believed that bad sleeping can coincide with developmental stuff. It is likened too the feeling when you have so much going on in your mind (I need to go grocery shopping, I must remember to post that letter, did I lock the front door?) that you can't sleep.

I'm not sure about the bf'ing. Maybe he's confused as to why he can have boob at night but not in the day?

tostaky Fri 29-May-09 10:46:45

See, he is fine during the day. He doesnt try to pull my shirt or nything and he gets really excited when he sees me preparing the bottle...

so im thinking it is something to do with re-assurance? but what can i do?
We are trying to give him a bottle of formula each time he wakes up at night but because he wakes up every hour, it feels wrong to feed him so often... and even if we load him with milk he still wants my nipple for comfort...
I dont understand why is that?

tummytickler Fri 29-May-09 17:59:11

Can you get your dh to give him a bottle of water at night. I am sure he will soon become bored with it, especially if you are not there smelling all yummy and milky grin.
My ds was the same when i went back to work! Luckily it was only a term temp and he settled a few months later. He is forever pulling at my top all day though (but he is 21 months).#
I think if you want to stop bfing all together then enlist the help of dh if he can do it!

mrsfossil Tue 02-Jun-09 16:52:43

Hi maybe he is hungry and needs more food in the day. He may start sleeping through if he is full up when he goes down at night. Best of luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now