Talk

Advanced search

I know I am odd; I haven't ever taken DD swimming but I wondered if anyone else felt the same way as I do...

(73 Posts)
CrushWithEyeliner Wed 27-May-09 14:40:19

She is 2 and has been into the sea on holidays I have no problem with this. However, swimming pools just scare the hell out of me. The potential accidents, the germs, the noise . I just can't face it. Is it such a big deal?
I would like her to learn to swim - I am open to be convinced if anyone feels it is wrong to leave it till later....

sarah293 Wed 27-May-09 14:46:15

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Wed 27-May-09 14:46:49

Message withdrawn

ShannaraTiger Wed 27-May-09 14:49:49

I've never taken Dd(5) or Ds(2) swimming either. I just can't face the getting dried and dressed afterwards.

CrushWithEyeliner Wed 27-May-09 14:50:11

Oh so glad not just me - and well done your ds! wow natural learned swimming!

notyummy Wed 27-May-09 15:00:18

I think kids should learn to swim for safety reasons (a life skill like crossing the road), and that it is a great form of exercise - plus the fact that most kids can by a certain ages means that those who can't feel stupid and excluded. (Birthday parties at the pool etc - and the kids at my school who couldn't swim had the p**s taken out of them mercilessly.)

That doesn't mean that at the age of 2 all kids should be learning to swim....just that I feel it should happen fairly early in life.

sarah293 Wed 27-May-09 15:02:21

Message withdrawn

navyeyelasH Wed 27-May-09 15:13:10

I'm off swimming in a bit with a little girl I look after, swimming is so much fun! Who cares about a bit of germs now and again it toughens you up!

My Dp is 28 and can't swim as his dad made a decision that it was too risky, and my DP really resents the fact that he can't swim. He's had loads of lessons as an adult and just can't do it!

QOD Wed 27-May-09 15:16:29

We have to teach them round here really, we have canals and the sea right there points
SO it;s a necessity, but I paid for lessons & just looked down my nose at the water from the viewing area!

Cakesandale Wed 27-May-09 15:19:08

I have been taking my dd since she was just 4, and she was terrified. I was the only Mum not sitting chatting, but crouching on the side of the pool, with water soaking up into my very long and heavy skirt.

But I wanted her to learn as i didn't til I was 24, and regretted that.

She loves it now (at nearly 6).

I think it is a MAJOR hassle, especially in the winter - but a bit better if you can find a relatively scum-free pool with warm water and a heated changing room.

But 2 is VERY little, if neither of you fancy it. maybe cut yourselves some slack and leave it a while yet?

BitOfFun Wed 27-May-09 15:21:35

I have attempted it years ago with mine when they were little, but I loathed trying to get wriggly wet toddlers changed while freezing cold myself!

Dd1 goes sometimes on her own with friends, and dd2 is lucky to attend a well-equipped special school and is taken every week in their own pool. Rather them than me, given how prone she is to pooing in the bath blushgrin

Overmydeadbody Wed 27-May-09 15:25:57

I don't think it's such a big deal really.

I feel exactly the same way as you about swimming pools and so avoid them like the plague.

i just enrolled DS in swimming lessons once he wanted to go and so now I just have to drop him off and pick him up, he learns to swim but I don't have to go swimming with him in the swimming pools <<shudder>>

I like swimming on holiday though, in the sea or in outdoor pools, but this is what I grew up with living in a hot country and I just can't get my head round indoor pools.

SingingBear Wed 27-May-09 15:27:39

Message withdrawn

aprilflowers Wed 27-May-09 15:40:37

There is no rush but the child in yr 3 that cant swim and is very nervous when the whole class goes and can be miserable.
My friends child ended up begging not to go to school on swimming days and his Mum says he has picked up her worries - he cant go to swim parties, out with the school or cubs
Rare I know but it may save your child's life
My grandfather was one of the few that learnt to swim where he came from and it saved his life at Dunkirk.

wasabipeanut Wed 27-May-09 15:54:01

TBH I hate swimming but 20mo ds loves it. We solve this issue by my dh taking him every sunday and me starying at home to cook lunch.

Works well.

I think it is important that they learn but the emphasis for us at the moment is just on having fun and enjoying it. DS loves to jump in and go down slides abd stuff so it seems to be working. We'll think about lessons maybe at about 3 or so.

mrsdisorganised Wed 27-May-09 15:57:51

No not odd in the slightest. I hate taking mine swimming, take them in river and sea (shallow) in summer and the 3 eldest can swim, also hate the idea of germs!

francagoestohollywood Wed 27-May-09 16:08:34

My dc started swimming lessons this september, at the ripe age of respectively 6 and 4. While they always enjoyed being in the sea, I never had enough stamina to take them to the swimming pool before now.
I don't think there is a real need to learn to swim any earlier. And it saved me lots of stress and tears (I see many distressed 2 yrs old at the swimming pool).

francagoestohollywood Wed 27-May-09 16:09:37

I must admit that we've always spent our summers in Italy at the seaside, so they always accessed friendly and warm waters.

JennyPenny22 Wed 27-May-09 16:14:03

I love taking my DD swimming. I agree it is a bit of a faff with the getting changed etc. As for the hygiene - our pool is pretty clean compared to others but then thats what the showers are there for and the chorine kills the germs in the pool surely?

DD1 is only 17 months but loves swimming and we try to go at least once a month to keep her confidence. Haven't manged to go for about 6 weeks or so though as I have just had DD2 but will go as soon as postnatal bleeding stops. If you saw how much she loves it, you would be able to see why I enjoy taking her. Her little face lights up when she sees it and she will happily be in for over an hour. And it totally shatters her out too, so good when she is going through a phase of not sleeping well.

Ceebee74 Wed 27-May-09 16:14:52

Each to their own smile

We took DS1 swimming from about 3 months old (once or twice a month) and he is now nearly 3 and very confident in water and will be starting lessons soon. We are doing the same with DS2.

BUT this is because me and DH both enjoy swimming, it is free at the gym we are members of and, as it is a private gym swimming pool, it is less likely to have plasters floating about in it wink We use it as a way of tiring DS1 out getting DS1 to do some exercise and spend some time as a family.

Some people take their children camping because they (as in the parent) enjoy it - I hate the thought of camping so couldn't think of anything worse than taking my 2 camping - as I said, each to their own!

Btw, I was never taken swimming by my parents, I did have lessons with school but never got anywhere near swimming properly/confidently and I definitely didn't enjoy it - it is only in the last few years that I suddenly got the 'hang' of swimming and actually do it for enjoyment now.

CrushWithEyeliner Wed 27-May-09 17:37:19

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes DD has access to the sea on holidays but I feel the sea is a different kettle of fish altogether.

I feel I may take her to a pool on hols this year and if she likes it I will think about starting. I genuinely would like her to have the skill but maybe give it a go next year. The germs and weeing in all that warm water still makes me heave though lol....

piscesmoon Wed 27-May-09 17:46:14

I think that swimming is an essential skill, it may save their life.
I took mine from babies. You don't have to like it or be water confident yourself, you can just sit in the shallow part with them and let them have fun, get them used to splashing and getting their faces wet.

Pingpong Wed 27-May-09 17:46:58

I am not a confident swimmer and neither is DH although we both can swim. I really wanted DD to go swimming early as it is so easy and natural when they are young. We started Waterbabies at 9w and she loves the water and has no fear. It is great exercise and fun she sleeps really well after a swimming session. We normally go swimming twice a week. I thoroughy recommend it.

Riven you say your DD2 'can't and never will but is also unlikely to fall into water' - does she not have a bath? Anyone can fall in water when they least expect it. I think it is a very blase attitude to have to water.

What a lucky outcome for DS2

scienceteacher Wed 27-May-09 17:54:09

OP,

I don't like swimming pools either (or rather the other customers who leave tissues etc lying around in the changing cubicles). But it is just something to grin and bear.

My DDs have lessons twice a week - half an hour - and it is a loathesome time for me, but they are enjoying their lessons and making progress.

We are using the local municipal pool at the moment, but will probably switch to a nearby prep school for next term - they offer a good selection of lessons and family membership at a better price and better atmosphere.

My older kids learned to swim in a private pool club in the USA, which was a lovely environment. The changing rooms were as grotty as anything but we could get changed at home so it wasn't a particular issue.

EvenBetaDad Wed 27-May-09 18:08:17

CrushWithEyeliner - I did not learn to swim properly until I was 16 but am really glad I did. It is a great life skill and if DD does not learn she will miss out on a lot of fun with friends and always felt somewhat socially awkward as I did.

HOWEVER....

I know what you mean about the smell, sore eyes, noise, dirt, germs, and feeling cold and frightened in public swimming pools. I also think DD is far too young at 2 to do anything but be with you in a nice warm shallow toddler pool.

We took DSs to a private pool from age 3 and they became really confident by the time they were 5 but I have seen parents literally ducking toddlers under water in a quite cold adult pool and the kids coming up coughing, screaming and terrified. Sending them to lessons too early before age 5 is also a waste of money and time. It really is not worth it and totally counter productive -our DSs are great swimmers now and we never pushed them at all.

Going with you in a nice relaxed warm environment during a quiet time up until age 5 and then every week for swimming lessons with kids of a similar age from say 5 is quite enough.

Sadly, UK schools just do not do enough regular swimming to be relied upon to adequately teach children to swim - so parents have to take on the responsibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now