Talk

Advanced search

Is third-hand car seat ok to use?

(46 Posts)
nomorechoc Fri 22-May-09 11:51:40

we had it second hand (from someone we knew) and now is going to be passed down to my youngest DC. We have zero money at the moment, but even so dont want to skimp on safety of course.
some of the polysterene is a bit broken - dont know whether this matters or not?
do you have really old car seats?

suwoo Fri 22-May-09 11:56:44

I read on here recently that some car seats have a 'use by' date which I had never realised. Maybe you should email the manufacturer? Just how old is it?

nomorechoc Fri 22-May-09 12:03:45

i guess is about 6 yrs old now - so not ancient - its just the bits of polysterene around the main frame which have come off makes me feel a litle uneasy. but we're having to buy a new one for older DC anyway and 2 new carseats would be a big expense for us right now

suwoo Fri 22-May-09 12:14:40

What about getting a newer but still second hand one off Ebay? I've been looking at Maxi Cosi's and they can go quite cheaply on Ebay.

I think I have seen some new ones in Asda for about £30, can you stretch to that?

ninedragons Fri 22-May-09 12:23:33

I wouldn't if at all possible. I don't suppose there's a relative you could ask for a gift or a loan?

suwoo Fri 22-May-09 13:01:53

Not sure which group seat you are looking for, but this one is only £30.

FabulousBakerGirl Fri 22-May-09 13:02:58

Of course it matters that the polysterene is broken!

Third hand - no way imo.

MerlinsBeard Fri 22-May-09 13:03:55

They have a use by date on them after which the plastic starts to degenerate between 6 and 10 years. If the polystyrene is broken then it will not protect your child as well as it could.

Picante Fri 22-May-09 13:04:25

I wouldn't. I have heard that you shouldn't use a car seat that's older than 5 years.

MerlinsBeard Fri 22-May-09 13:10:21

You can either put your child in a seat that is safe and may save their lives, or you can pout them in a seat that may NOT save their life as its BROKEN and past the usual date for usage.

And yes i am being stroppy but you absolutely cannot mess with childrens safety!

(and have been in the same situation where can't really afford a seat and to eat and pay bills etc)

Itsjustafleshwound Fri 22-May-09 13:13:39

Have you tried a wanted ad in Freecycle - there may be someone looking to get rid of one ?

NoFurtherQuestions Fri 22-May-09 13:14:54

Message withdrawn

NoFurtherQuestions Fri 22-May-09 13:15:49

Message withdrawn

FabulousBakerGirl Fri 22-May-09 13:16:18

Passing a seat down to another child is one thing - getting one from a stranger is another.

IMO new seats are vital not negotiable and definitely not seats that are years and years old.

I am sure people could cut down on something to buy a decent car seat for their child.

TheHedgeWitch Fri 22-May-09 13:21:05

Message withdrawn

oldraver Sun 24-May-09 00:14:13

I would say its too old and should be scrapped. However if it had been 'younger' you probably could of got the polystyrene replaced by the manufacturer. Someone on another board had the polystyrene crack on her Maxi-Cosi and it was replaced even though the manufacturer said it didnt compromise safety

Get a cheapie one

mamadiva Sun 24-May-09 00:34:02

Car seats have an expiry date on them of 5 years IIRC, this is due to the shell degrading whether it be from sun exposure, a lot of ware or just general usage.

Personally I would'nt even use a 2nd hand one because it may have been in a slight knock which could cause straps or seat back to fail and it is just never safe because you can't always see weakening on a seat.

Which stage is it you need?

When disposing of old car seat always always cut the straps as someone may mistake it for a decent seat and pick it up!

Group 0
Group 1
Group 2,3

If you can stick with one that has straps to secure LO for as long as possible because adult seat belts have been known to kill and inure children!

oldraver Sun 24-May-09 00:41:44

I use a cover on mine like a reflctive silver stuff. It stops the seat being exposed to sunlight and keeps it cool in summer. My DS is very small and is likely to be in his seat for along time, so I will probably have to get rid of it by its 'use by'date .

mamadiva Sun 24-May-09 00:50:20

Oldraver yes you should still get rid of it when the use by date is over or if you have any sort of accident in your car no matter how minor it may seem.

oldraver Sun 24-May-09 00:54:00

Lol I did work out that my little dot wouldn't reach 18kg till he was 7.. way past the seats use by

suwoo Sun 24-May-09 17:05:02

The one I linked to earlier in thew thread was cheaper wink

Oldraver, my DD is 7 and still weighs less than 18kg grin

onadietcokebreak Sun 24-May-09 17:20:28

Sorry I would rather eat beans on toast for a month than use a car seat that may be safe, Got a cheaper one for £30 that still meets the safety standards

oldraver Sun 24-May-09 20:51:21

Suwoo... Its a distict advantage to having little dots... I'm far happier him being in a 5 point harness for longer. A lot of the mums on my Mums Club Forum are exasperrated as their bruisers are out of the 5 point already at 3 years

MrsBonJovi Sun 24-May-09 21:04:04

Argos £30

WriggleJiggle Sun 24-May-09 21:09:33

My dc are in second hand car seats. Personally I would prefer them to be in a better quality second hand car seat than a cheaper brand new carseat.

I'm probably completely wrong in this, but I completely object to filling up landfill with carseats. 3 (?) car seats per child is an awful lot of plastic to scrap.

"even though the manufacturer said it didn't compromise safety" Probably true, but I bet they're not that comfortable to sit on without some padding.

NoFurtherQuestions It is impossibly difficult to get hold of a freecycled car seat. THe are often on the site but are usually snapped up within minutes.

<< gets ready for a flaming >>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now