Talk

Advanced search

Sucky baby doesn't want dummy!

(31 Posts)
RuthN Tue 03-May-05 20:55:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

boobie Tue 03-May-05 20:57:35

Hi,
Are you using cherry or orthodontic teat dummy?

PrettyCandles Tue 03-May-05 21:01:46

Persevere with the dummy. Neither of mine could keep the dummy in their mouths without help for at least a month or so, so I used to sit with my finger on it until they were contented.

It could also be wind that is making him upset. Try winding him more often - between feeds as well as between boobs. From time to time use the tiger-in-th-tree position when you hold him. Give him plenty of opportunity to lie on his tummy. When you change his nappy, or even jsut sometimes when you play with him on his back, move his legs as if he was riding a large bicycle, and tuck his knees to his chest a few times. All these things help to release wind.

trinityrocks Tue 03-May-05 21:02:33

my baby is doing the same, not all the time but some periods lasting an hour or two some days, I'm blaming colic and I am trying to stop myself giving her a dummy cos I know I'll break my heart taking away her comfrot at some point when I have to take it away. Stupid and wimpy I know but I just know thats what I will be like so at the mo it's a little like I'm feeding all the time when she has this sort of day!!

FIMAC1 Tue 03-May-05 21:04:31

Did he have a difficult delivery by any chance? I only ask as my dd was identical to this - we finally took her to a Cranial Osteopath at 5 (years!) old after she had terrible sleep probs after finally getting rid of her dummy (3 and and half) She had three treatments and then slept through the night for the first time ever - I had had a very difficult delivery and probs in preg (hbp) which had led to it apparently hth

PS if you are thinking of going, don't leave it as long as we did - for your sakes!

PrettyCandles Tue 03-May-05 21:05:27

Trinityrocks, weaning from the dummy isn't always bad - my ds gave it up without any distress over a week or two at about 3-4m, when he found his fingers. My dd went cold-turkey on it at 6m, took two nights to find her thumb, and never looked back. Others have let their children keep the dummy until they were old enough to choose to let go. Dummies are only a problem when they are used indisciminately, and the baby ends up with one in their mouth 24-7. Then it's tough weaning.

SPARKLER1 Tue 03-May-05 21:05:27

I used to do a lot of comfort feeding with dd2. It was exhausting but has paid off now as she never took to a dummy - I don't have to worry about stopping that now.

marne Tue 03-May-05 21:05:54

I found the cherry dummys stay in better, the orthodontic ones seem to slide out. Keep trying.

SenoraPostrophe Tue 03-May-05 21:07:35

Mine was like this sometimes and wouldn't take a dummy after about 4 weeks.

It might be that he is uncomfortable or in pain - 6 weeks is about the time colicky problems start (I think - memory hazy) so could be that. My mum says that babies that old interpret every uncomfortable feeling as hunger and I think she is right in some cases.

have you tried rocking him to sleep in a pram/pushchair? it was the only thing that worked for ds.

boobie Tue 03-May-05 21:09:53

I agree marne the cherry ones are better for tiny babies but I then swapped to orthodontic later. My DD 5 months just went to sleep without her dummy in for the first time.

RuthN Tue 03-May-05 21:49:07

PrettyCandles Tue 03-May-05 22:13:39

Tiger-in-the-tree: hold the baby so that he is lying on your forearm, cheek near your elbow, one of his arms on either side of your arm and your wrist under his tummy. Your cupped hand supports his lower parts by being wrapped around his nappy with his legs astride. That way your wrist presses gently into his tummy to push up wind, and your movements gently joggle his tummy. You might find it more comfortable to have him facing the other way (ie legs around your elbow, his face in your hand), or to cross your arms once you're holding him, so that you use both arms to support and cradle him, still keeping him on his tummy with a little extra pressure (and it really is a little extra) under his tummy.

PrettyCandles Tue 03-May-05 22:15:12

Whichever way around you carry him, make sure his head is always higher than his legs, to help any wind bubble up.

aloha Tue 03-May-05 22:18:40

Some people swear by cranial osteopathy. Didn't work for me, but I've met lots of people who said it transformed their babies.

Pomi Wed 04-May-05 14:28:06

I always hate the idea of giving babaies dummy as this habit often become hard to break and it needs to be staralise every time(another headace). But when ds1 use to cry a lot i tried as my MIL was forcing me but thank God he refused
it. I know the kids cry for no apparent reason. Just take his wind out and put him to cry they will graddually learn how to sleep themselves. I have done with both my sons.

expatinscotland Wed 04-May-05 14:34:49

What's a 'cherry' dummy? Is it one of those round teat ones? I gave DD one b/c she was sucky. She could take it or leave it now - at 22 months. She calls it 'dubby' and if she finds it she'll play with it. It was easy peasy to take it away from her, tho.

FIMAC1 Wed 04-May-05 15:38:39

Ditto for me, a ventouse after long difficult (induced) delivery - please get him checked out at a CO!!!!!!!

RuthN Wed 04-May-05 20:51:03

FIMAC1 Wed 04-May-05 21:06:21

RuthN

Glad he is a bit better today - would get him checked out even if things improve slightly, a ventouse delivery leaves quite a lot of stress on the skull apparently - my dd did not 'outgrow' this and it was only when someone paid for us to go as her sleep was dreadful (woke every half hour at 5 yrs) that we went. As I said, after 3 sessions she had her first full nights sleep (and needless to say we did too) since she was born

Good luck

RuthN Fri 06-May-05 19:36:21

FIMAC1 Fri 06-May-05 19:41:39

RuthN

Hi - is he still the same then? Hope you get some results like we did - only wish we didn't leave it 5 years - lol! I was sceptical (but desperate for sleep) when we went - it was nothing short of life changing for all of us, please let us know how you get on. It might take a few sessions for it to be effective and my dd was very tired afterwards and after the 3rd actually had a 3 hour mid-day sleep (she had dropped her sleeps in the day at 18 months)!!

Good luck

RuthN Sat 07-May-05 16:53:11

FIMAC1 Sat 07-May-05 17:19:57

RuthN

Fingers crossed! There is loads on the net when you Google on Cranial Osteopathy and Ventouse, so lets hope

matnanplus Sat 07-May-05 17:44:31

Have you thought of giving DS come 'colief' b4 his feed, can help in the digestive process and causes much less posseting than other colicy relief liquids?

The tiger position, tho i know it as the rugby ball hold and one dad's often feel more confident with is good, as is lying him on his tummy on your upper legs with your knees a little higher than your pelvis and giving him a pat/rub/jiggle, a towel on knees is a good idea just in case.

hth

RuthN Tue 10-May-05 20:25:35

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now