Talk

Advanced search

Traditional story telling (where do I start?)

(14 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Wed 13-May-09 15:56:26

Hi, my daughter loves books and storys. She is 4 years old. I love the idea of traditional story telling, being able to look right at her, doing the actions etc. She loves it. The problem is, I'm rubbish at making up storys. They end up being all along the same lines, then as the story goes on, I don't really know where it's going or how to end it.
I'm going to wright some basic storys, so that I can memorise them and have something to go on.
I'm just trying to think of ideas that would make good storys. I can't really think of anything though. I'd love some advice.
She's in to fairys, princesses, animals esspecially horses.
I like sentimental storys with a morral to them.
I'd be really greatfull for any tips or advice. smile

cthea Wed 13-May-09 15:59:34

You could read her stories and still make the actions, recount some of the parts in your own words etc. It needn't be new ones of your own writing, although it's a lovely idea.

steamedtreaclesponge Wed 13-May-09 16:05:38

Have you thought about re-telling some classic stories that are easy to remember - Red Riding Hood, Sleeping Beauty, that sort of thing? I have a big book of stories from the Arabian Nights retold for children - some of the originals might be a bit risque but there are lots of princesses, wizards and that sort of thing.

steamedtreaclesponge Wed 13-May-09 16:08:26

Just had another thought - you could think of a couple of main characters (a princess and her horse?) and do a serial - a new adventure every night they meet a witch who gives them three wishes, they explore a wood full of fairies, that sort of thing. I suspect they don't even have to be that adventurous for children at that age. My dad used to tell us stories about a character called Rumplepumple the turnip which we adored - seems a bit of an odd choice now but there you are! grin

ICANDOTHAT Wed 13-May-09 16:08:31

I used to make up stories for ds2 and include children's names that he new (school friends, cousins etc). He loved them and they would always be a kind of social story with a moral to them. When I couldn't think of an ending there and then, I left it with a 'cliff hanger' and said part 2 would be the next evening .... he loved the suspense and would often try to guess. The next day gave you time to think up the ending - HEY PRESTO !!

mummyloveslucy Wed 13-May-09 16:10:34

Yes, that's a good idea. I suppose I like the idea of it being my own storys.
She wouldn't know the difference though.
I'll give it a go. smile

BeehiveBaby Wed 13-May-09 16:12:44

We tell the fairy tale standards doirectly to DD1 she loves it, DH started it and is really good, I am rubbish. However, after a few weeks we were at the point where it was very much a two way thing and she even tweaks the plot. Our bears are having pink ice cream for breakfast and they have to walk till it warms up enough to be eaten without hurting your teeth smile

mummyloveslucy Wed 13-May-09 16:14:31

Thanks, she'd love the princess and her horse series. That would be right up her street. The cliff hanger is also a good idea, although not sure if she is that tollerant. grin

mummyloveslucy Wed 13-May-09 16:16:57

I also love poetry, so I'm thinking of writing her a little book with rhyming text. She'd love that, and it would be nice for her to keep.

GypsyMoth Wed 13-May-09 16:22:54

i used to work at "fun with music" where stories are set to music,and alot of the time they were about the composers. all aimed at young children. the storyteller was Ann Rachlin,she was absolutely amazing!! she got an MBE for her storytelling....i used to just tidy up,sort equipment and kids etc,she was the star of the show. her stories are available on cd now. i learnt alot from her about tone of voice when reading. the kids all used to sit mesmerized by her.

parents paid through the teeth for a place,and her website divulges our very famous pupils!! i loved working there and met some amazing (very famous) people. but mostly i remember her stories.

mummyloveslucy Wed 13-May-09 16:28:59

That sounds fantastic, I'll look out for her C.D. smile My daughter also loves music, so that would be great.

GypsyMoth Wed 13-May-09 16:32:59

its at www.funwithmusic.com. i think you can access a sample. her voice is very posh! but worked great with the music. you might pick up some tips!

mummyloveslucy Wed 13-May-09 19:05:38

That's brilliant, thank you. smile I'll have a look at that now.

Perlesgirl Tue 09-Apr-13 19:22:39

It would be nice if Gypsy Moth would return to my website and send me an email then I would know which one of my Fun with Music assistants she is! Thanks for all the accolades and the recommendation of my CDs.
I am busy with all kinds of adaptations of my stories to Apps for all the devices. I look forward to hearing from you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now