Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

is it mean to ban McDonald's?

(57 Posts)
donnie Sat 30-Apr-05 15:41:08

a friend of ours is moving quite a way away and is having a farewell children's party in McD's for her dd. Our dd is invited. The problem is so far we have never let her go to McD's as we are so opposed to it - both the food it sells as well as from a business ethic perspective - and yes, I have read Fast Food Nation! so the question is do we let our dd go to her friend's party or not? the children are in the 3 - 4 age range.

JanH Sat 30-Apr-05 15:42:38

Once won't hurt, donnie - will you be there too to check what she eats?

SenoraPostrophe Sat 30-Apr-05 15:44:46

Is your dd likely to find out and feel she has missed out? If so, I'd let her go (I do have the ocassional McD's myself though).

vickiyumyum Sat 30-Apr-05 15:45:34

i rarely let my kids eat at mcd's, but if it was a party then i would probably relent, especially for someone who was leaving the area. if you are that opposed to the food, you could always take a packed lunch and just let your dd have milkshake, stating food allergies to the staff if they question you.

SenoraPostrophe Sat 30-Apr-05 15:45:41

lol, Janh. because there are so many healthy alternatives she can have there.

But i do agree, once won't hurt.

SenoraPostrophe Sat 30-Apr-05 15:46:10

maybe sneak some marmite into her burger so she doesn't get a tatse for it.

JanH Sat 30-Apr-05 15:47:42

She might choose a salad, SP

donnie Sat 30-Apr-05 15:47:42

thanks ladies, I suspect it is a bit mean to bar her from going....one of us will be there anyway so we can try to control what she has!

donnie Sat 30-Apr-05 15:48:27

believe me , she would NOT choose a salad! quite like the marmite idea though....!

SenoraPostrophe Sat 30-Apr-05 15:50:00

assuming she doesn't like marmite obviously. And if she's a right-thinking child she won't!

JanH Sat 30-Apr-05 15:51:14

Was kidding about the salad! But they have more fat and salt than the burgers and nuggets, don't they?

WestCountryLass Sat 30-Apr-05 15:53:21

I would let mine go for a one off party. She probably won't like it if she's not used to eating processed crap

donnie Sat 30-Apr-05 15:53:50

do they? the salads have MORE salt than the nuggets ? now I really have heard it all.....

wheresmyfroggy Sat 30-Apr-05 15:54:52

You watched Supersize me then Janh?

mrspink27 Sat 30-Apr-05 15:55:09

nothing on this earth would allow my dd's to eat McD's... as far as that goes i am a food nazi! did you wacth supersize me ... and read fatland, fast food nation etc.... not even a milkshake yuk! and I dont want my dd's to see it as a treat! I agree to take along a pack up... very hard i know especially when they are in the midst of all the other kids eating!

JanH Sat 30-Apr-05 15:57:20

ivillage.co recommendations for people on particular diets; it says

<<The Food Standards Agency recommends a daily salt intake of 6,000 milligrams. The Garden Side Salad without dressing is low in salt at 250mg, as are most of the drinks (the coffee drinks have 250mg salt). The desserts are relatively low in salt or are salt-free, except for the Cadbury's chocolate donut and the yoghurts, which have moderately higher amounts. The fruit bag has only trace amounts. The other foods on the menu have from 500mg to 5,000mg of salt, most in the range of 2,000-3,000mg. Even the Crispy Chicken salads have between 2,300 and 4,100mg of salt.>>

There has definitely been something in the press recently about how unhealthy McD's salads are.

JanH Sat 30-Apr-05 15:57:45

Noooo, wmf! Missed it!

Flip Sat 30-Apr-05 15:59:42

Sorry to but in... Hi Janh!

JanH Sat 30-Apr-05 16:03:19

Hi, Flip!

donnie, it was this from Which that I was remembering I think:

<<Don’t be fooled into thinking that every salad bought in McDonald’s will be healthy.

The advert shows a grilled chicken salad with balsamic dressing. At face value, there’s nothing wrong with it: the salad featured is relatively low in fat and calories – it’s unlikely to spend a lifetime on your hips. However, other salads in the range are less healthy. The grilled chicken with dressing and croutons has double the fat and calories. And the crispy chicken salad with dressing and croutons actually contains more calories and fat than a Big Mac.>>

donnie Sat 30-Apr-05 16:06:15

I can't say I am that surprised Janh - the dressings/croutons are obvious places to cram salt and fat I suppose.It seems to make a nonsense out of the whole 'fast food goes healthy' initiative though.

Flip Sat 30-Apr-05 16:06:31

I spend at least one meal a week at McDonalds and I'm a size ten. Okay perhaps more like six times a week. It doesn't do me any harm and I let my kids eat it to although not as much as I do. I'm sure that everything is bad for you in some way or other. Live for today. I wouldn't stop your little girl enjoying herself. You won't be able to stop her when she's a teenager.

How are you Janh? It's been a while since we chatted.

MissChief Sat 30-Apr-05 16:09:02

NO! Crap, plastic food in plastic environment -
not real eating out experience at all! If we can't afford Pizza Express or somewhere similar, nothing wrong with packed lunch for day out

Flip Sat 30-Apr-05 16:10:45

MissChief, it's a party she's talking about that's being held at McDonalds. Is one junk meal worth making your kid a social outcast over?

Ameriscot2005 Sat 30-Apr-05 16:14:51

Never say never...

snafu Sat 30-Apr-05 16:16:54

Flip - six times a week? Seriously?

Ummm, I am pretty anti-McD's but I would probably let my ds go in the same situation. A one-off isn't going to do any harm, particularly as it's a special occasion. (I still don't understand why parents have parties at McD's but that's another thread, I guess.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now