Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you mainly struggle through life or cruise along?

(28 Posts)
flobbleflobble Thu 28-Apr-05 16:42:06

I feel as though I struggle around 70% of the time - just to keep together being a mum, running a house and working (not very well paid but still stressful job, 23 hours a week). Dp works full time, again not a high earner.

I don't know if everyone feels that they are struggling a lot of the time...how do you feel about your life?

Evesmama Thu 28-Apr-05 16:44:27

you are me to a tee!!

flobbleflobble Thu 28-Apr-05 16:45:27

Just us two then Evesmama!

Evesmama Thu 28-Apr-05 16:46:08

seems so!!!
although i bet this thread gets bombarded later!

expatinscotland Thu 28-Apr-05 16:47:09

no, count me in as well. it's a constant battle and i pretty much always feel the weight of the world on my shoulders.

lou33 Thu 28-Apr-05 16:47:14

STRUGGLE!

flobbleflobble Thu 28-Apr-05 16:47:33

Are you currently in cruise mode or struggle mode?

Evesmama Thu 28-Apr-05 16:49:25

when dd is in winging mode, i go in cruise mode(autopiolot!) all rest of time is one big struggle!

bundle Thu 28-Apr-05 16:50:56

totally normal to struggle. do take a look at Motherinferior's Custard Thread

CountessDracula Thu 28-Apr-05 16:51:06

Well I don't feel I struggle financially but my ironing does get me down.

Do you mean financially or time-wise?

CountessDracula Thu 28-Apr-05 16:51:39

Can those who say they struggle pls say in what areas of their lives?

Easy Thu 28-Apr-05 16:51:43

It seems to be a struggle most of the time. I try not to stress about parenting, and 'enjoy' my time with my son, but so often it goes wrong.

Then there's the Work/life balance, and of course money. We don't do too badly, but there never seems to be enough. We need to do out our bathroom, the telly is on the blink, the cordless phone we bought 3 years ago has developed a fault, everytime I think I can put some into savings something else comes up.

I keep telling dh that it'll all get better soon, it has to be our turn at good luck, but .....

FLUM Thu 28-Apr-05 16:52:34

i spend most of life feeling I'm a bit rubbish as I never get round to doing anything. but have realised it is that i like relaxing more than doing things.

on my grave ' she relaxed her way through life' but her house was a mess

CountessDracula Thu 28-Apr-05 16:52:37

I think there is a difference between struggling and what is just normal life tbh

ThePreciousIdiot Thu 28-Apr-05 16:53:39

I was surprised to find myself thinking 'cruise' when I looked at the title. On reflection I think I do a bit, not saying life is easy, it's not, but I do find that nearly everything just washes over me without any great affect. If that makes sense

flobbleflobble Thu 28-Apr-05 16:54:03

More of a general struggling feeling - financial comes into it for me but it is only one of many struggle zones...ironing not one of mine though...

And thanks for the custard link - a much better thread title than mine!

tabitha Thu 28-Apr-05 16:55:54

Yep, another struggler here. Right now, life's more like swimming through treacle than custard
I feel that I just don't have enough time, money or energy to cope with everything that's thrown at me. Keep hoping that things will get better....but when?

flobbleflobble Thu 28-Apr-05 20:39:24

Must be about time for loads more strugglers to start bombarding this thread???

Or are there not so many of us after all?

trinityrocks Thu 28-Apr-05 20:47:46

I STRUGGLE trying to become a cruiser though, trying to understnad what makes me struggle and ways I can change the practical or the way I react to situations so that I can start to cruise......sometimes

flobbleflobble Thu 28-Apr-05 20:51:11

How??!!!

expatinscotland Thu 28-Apr-05 20:54:36

To answer your question, CD, the bulk of my 'struggle' is financial. And that spills over into time - as I have to spend a LOT of it making a living or studying to make a better one. My DH is a SAHD and has several learning disabilities that will make it extremely difficult for him to make a living. So I support all of us. With two jobs; neither of which keep the wolf from the door. And then I'll start studying for my law degree in Autumn part time. In a city 40 miles away b/c it's the only one that offers a part-time course at night. And I'm pregnant as well.

I do the educational play w/DD. And although he helps where he can, I do a lot of housework, too, and all the paperwork/billpaying and any sort of activity that involves reading/writing or chasing something up.

I feel frazzled mostly. The pressure from the responsibility sometimes makes it hard for me to sleep or gives me panic attacks. But I keep telling myself God won't give me more than I can handle, and I've become much more spiritual in the past couple of years.

And it's made me have absolutely NO patience for peoples' petty whinges.

redsky Thu 28-Apr-05 21:30:16

After years of struggling I'm learning to cruise it! My children are now 17 and 12 and I'm finding life so much easier than when whey were younger. I used to feel constantly torn between work/home and exhausted wtih the constant demands of mothering, working and housework (and worrying about it). Now I have more money AND more time - so life does get better!

Nemo1977 Thu 28-Apr-05 22:13:41

i sort of bob up and down its not a smooth ride but not a complete struggle. A year ago was a nightmare struggle but it seems to be getting better...although ask me again in a year as will have no.2 here then..lol

Aimsmum Thu 28-Apr-05 22:23:44

Message withdrawn

QueenEagle Thu 28-Apr-05 22:25:41

I sort of cruise along most of the time with the odd struggle thrown in now and again. I try to make sure I'm organised (ish) and things aren't too bad for too long.

Last week I felt I was struggling to cope on a personal level so went to see my GP, spent 20mins chatting with him and concluded I'm not getting depression but I am bored and actually need to do something outside the home, so have applied to do some voluntary work.

God, things will be a struggle then.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now