Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Last year's suncream

(17 Posts)
Honeymum Wed 27-Apr-05 13:50:27

Does it deteriorate? I've just spent a fortune in Boots (2 for 1!) but I'm wondering if I can use last year's?

Ameriscot2005 Wed 27-Apr-05 13:52:01

Cosmetic products have to have a shelf-life of 3 years in order to meet EU standards, unless they have an expiration date on them.

eemie Wed 27-Apr-05 13:56:02

It does deteriorate. My dh got badly burned one year from using old stuff. It has to be kept cool, so can be inactivated if it's been left in a hot car, for example. I now keep ours in a cool bag with the food/drinks when we go out, and store it in the fridge. HTH

Honeymum Wed 27-Apr-05 15:20:38

Good tip eemie, I'll make sure I store mine in the fridge (and I'll always be able to find it too!).

JanH Wed 27-Apr-05 15:22:54

I have a bottle of Asda's here which is at least 12 months old and it actually has a use-by date on it - 13/05/06.

PsychoFlame Wed 27-Apr-05 15:23:55

I've got a feeling mine have use by dates on....

They feel really nice in hot weather if they are stored in the fridge too

JoolsToo Wed 27-Apr-05 15:24:05

I've used mine year on year with no adverse affects (that I know of) but in any case you can get Nivea very cheap at Tesco (last time I looked anyway) so maybe its not worth it!

SoupDragon Wed 27-Apr-05 15:25:18

I use last year's sun cream for "home" use and buy fresh for holidays abroad.

Ameriscot2005 Wed 27-Apr-05 15:34:29

The ones with "use by" dates are there probably because the manufacturer is selling the product before they have 3 years' of stability data on it. Chances are that it will be good for more than three years, but they just can't prove it yet.

Good point about high temperatures - this will accelerate product aging - and the three year guarantee is for room temperature product. A product from a reputable manufacturer should be able to withstand higher temperatures for a short time, especially if higher temperatures are part of normal use for the product.

Ameriscot2005 Wed 27-Apr-05 15:40:10

A Google on sunscreen shelf-life should reassure. The only one on the first page of hits saying that you should only use a sunscreen for one season is from a company that is selling a cover-up.

Easy Wed 27-Apr-05 15:42:44

Hmm, I thought the info that I heard last year - "you must buy fresh sunscreen every year, becos it deteriorates" - had a smell of marketing spin about it.

Ameriscot2005 Wed 27-Apr-05 15:46:45

Yes, it does, Easy. If a manufacturer is saying that the product needs to be replaced, then it should have an expiration date. If it doesn't have that, then they should be able to prove a 3-year shelf life. That's the law.

The product should look and smell OK, and if it doesn't, you should send it back to the manufacturer for a refund.

Kayleigh Wed 27-Apr-05 15:47:47

I "cycle" mine same as SoupDragon.

kcemum Thu 28-Apr-05 15:11:57

Was told by very helpfull assistant in Boots that if unopened, stored in a cool dark place it has a shelf life of 3 years. If iot has been opened it has a life of 12months

HappyDaddy Thu 28-Apr-05 15:49:42

Last year's suncream can be used as aftersun but not suncream anymore.

Ameriscot2005 Thu 28-Apr-05 17:11:19

To comply with the EU Cosmetics Directive, all product, opened and unopened has to have a shelf-life of 3+ years, or an expiration date.

Happydaddy, where did your aftersun theory come from? The sunscreen chemicals are very stable - if there is any concern about the formula (say due to leaving it in a hot car), then it's the basic emulsion (ie moisturising lotion) that is likely to crack.

CountessDracula Thu 28-Apr-05 17:12:23

but dahling it's sooooo last year - surely you need this season's suncream

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now