Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

choking!!!!!!

(8 Posts)
lucykatie Fri 22-Apr-05 22:33:36

my dd is 7 months old and i have been told and read that she should be having plenty of finger food, today i gave her half of a rich tea biscuit and she choked!!!!

So what am i doing wrong, this has happened 2 times today, luckily with no lasting damage but even though!

Please help as it must be me as everyone else is so succesful at this.

Frizbe Fri 22-Apr-05 22:35:21

Don't worry they often gag for the 1st few times, its that old getting used to feeding yourself solid stuff thing! why don't you try a piece of cheese, a bit softer?

Frizbe Fri 22-Apr-05 22:35:35

or a banana

Evesmama Fri 22-Apr-05 22:36:25

dd used to always choke on fingers of bread, till i realised she could manage soldiers!!!!FGS and gave her thin slivers instead!!

lucykatie Fri 22-Apr-05 22:39:50

well to be honest she had sucked the biscuit to death and still mnaged to choke.....beleive me this was not gagging as she went purple. had to do the old slapping thing which was awful.

surely she will choke on bread wont she?

this is gonna sound bad but this is my second child and i cannot remember this stage in her life!!!!!!bad mother alert.

WestCountryLass Sat 23-Apr-05 00:38:38

Some babies have a senstive gag reflex and even if they gum up the food and it is pretty soggy, if its in a 'lump' and it hits the back of their throat they will gag and choke. My DS was like that and could not handle lumps for quite a while.

Some foods my DD eats without choking on are Cheerios soaked ina bit of milk to make them softer. Rice puffs (like sugar puffs but without the sugar). Tiny bits of cheese. Root veggies that have been well steamed. My DD is 9 months and she can't eat biscuits, something to do with the crumbly texture, without gagging but can manage toast, but not bread.

karen01 Sat 23-Apr-05 21:32:05

luckykatie- my ds did this and I just had to keep trying foods with him, keeping him on my knee whilst he was eating so that I could get to him quickly. He is 10months now and for the last 3-4 weeks has quite happily been able to eat his finger foods, still does choke/gag occasionaly but if he swallows a big bit he seems to gag it back into his month then gum it to death a bit more before swallowing.

dancer77 Sat 23-Apr-05 21:53:25

The first finger food my ds ate was bread and I chopped it up into the smallest bits possible and let him pick the bits up, If I gave him anything any bigger he just used to take to big bites and then choke. He couldn't eat toast for a long time. I don't think he stopped choking on it till he was about a year. His teeth didn't start coming through till late and he only had two front teeth at 12 months. Now he has back teeth he hasn't done it for ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now