Talk

Advanced search

Am I doing something wrong?

(11 Posts)
ruthiemum Fri 22-Apr-05 20:51:03

Have recently transferred DS who is 2 1/2 into cot bed - he was climbing head first out of his cot so had to in a way. But the problem is he is running riot in his bedroom for at least two hours even when he is tired out. He rips wallpaper off the walls, his lovely new border he has ripped down, I have had to take all his clothes out of the drawers because it looked like a war zone every morning. He has his teddies and that in his room but he just can't seem to settle and when he finally does go to sleep he does so on the floor. Is there anything I should be doing so he can be a bit more peaceful or do they all act this way? He was such a good sleeper in his cot but I feel worn out with constantly going to check on him all the time.....

ionesmum Fri 22-Apr-05 21:32:30

Can't really help but am giving this a bump for you. Have you looked at the new Supernanny book?

Hope you get this sorted soon!

ruthiemum Fri 22-Apr-05 21:46:48

Ta - will have a look and see if there is any suggestions short of giving him sleeping tablets

moondog Fri 22-Apr-05 21:48:44

I would take away the stuff that he wrecks. Leave the room as empty as possible, and put a gate across the door.

tiffini Fri 22-Apr-05 21:55:45

my DS did this too, i yhink it is something to do with the sudden freedom, they soon grow out of it.
i decided it was better than a screaming kid not wanting to go to sleep, i just left my DS to it.
If your DS sleeps in the dark like my DS put toys in the room that light up when played with, that might keep him away from the drawers and wallpaper.

ruthiemum Fri 22-Apr-05 21:57:03

have done the gate thing and removed his toys for being "naughty", i.e. being a wallpaper stripper. Do feel really bad though with him only having his night teddy and bed. I think the thing I can't understand is what he is possibly doing for 2 hours + with nothing in there, suppose if he is not crying it's not a problem just wears me out when he is constantly shouting me!

ruthiemum Fri 22-Apr-05 22:04:39

that sounds like a good idea, I'm certainly going to try it - will have a good look around the shops tomorrow and see what is about

moondog Fri 22-Apr-05 22:05:37

How about a mattress on the floor? Might be less threatening and more fun than a bed?

ruthiemum Fri 22-Apr-05 22:11:04

I'm going to try everything until I get it right. I think I had this strong view that children should be in bed to sleep I've kinda gone neurotic when DS is just messing and doing the opposite. I suppose it's his time to relax as well.

moondog Fri 22-Apr-05 22:14:55

My 41/2 year old often messes about in her room after she's gone to bed. I don't mind as long as she stays in there with the light off and is relatively quiet.
After all, I mess about loads in my bedroom

ruthiemum Fri 22-Apr-05 22:18:31

LOL and they don't complain at us do they!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now