Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Are you turning into your mother?

(20 Posts)
bubble99 Sat 16-Apr-05 22:18:30

Well, not literallly. Unless there's a bunch of us morphing into: Sensibly clad/ garden centre/nice cup of tea/knick-knack collecting/you'll catch your death/ why does your DH always have an urgent appt. or weekend away when I visit?/ Michael Buerke fancying obsessives.

I mean as in parenting. Do you hear yourself saying the same things or reacting in the same way as your mother did when you were growing up? And if so, do you find yourself repeating things that you always said you'd never do or say to your child? I'm asking because today I caught myself saying something to DS2 in exactly the same way my mother used to talk to me all those years ago. I've also unintentionally perfected the Paddington Bear stare that she always used to use........ But at least I don't fancy Michael Buerke

piffpaffpuff Sat 16-Apr-05 22:23:06

do find myself saying things mum said and thought I wouldnt. it makes me laugh really

Mirage Sun 17-Apr-05 07:15:48

Ohhhh yes! DD was having a tantrum in her car seat the other day & I turned around and gave her 'the look'.DH laughed & said that I'd perfected the 'mummy look' that he remembered from childhood.

It does seem to work though-I managed to avert 3 tantrums yesterday using 'the look'.She threw herself on the floor,looked up to see my reaction,then quietly got up again.Thanks mum!

WideWebWitch Sun 17-Apr-05 07:18:48

I'm doing my best not to turn into my mother.

maria1966 Sun 17-Apr-05 12:11:47

I do hope so,my mum was fab

MarsLady Sun 17-Apr-05 12:56:29

Not turning....turned!

JoolsToo Sun 17-Apr-05 12:56:59

NomDePlume Sun 17-Apr-05 12:59:44

PMSL @ "Sensibly clad/ garden centre/nice cup of tea/knick-knack collecting/you'll catch your death/ why does your DH always have an urgent appt. or weekend away when I visit?/ Michael Buerke fancying obsessives."

ROFL
ROFL
ROFL
ROFL

My mother is a copius red wine drinking, darts playing, pub loving, fag smoking maternal anti-christ.....

SPARKLER1 Sun 17-Apr-05 13:01:09

Oh yes I think I am. Remember the days when your mum didn't know how to work the video - that's me now!!!

Gobbledigook Sun 17-Apr-05 13:01:42

Definitely - yesterday at swimming ds1 was hanging off the bench/coat hook type thing and I said 'get down, it's not a climbing frame'!! My Mum used to say that and it shocked me to hear it coming out of my mouth!

Gobbledigook Sun 17-Apr-05 13:02:06

NDP - it's not a good description of Jools either!

bubble99 Sun 17-Apr-05 23:14:41

GDG. Did you sound like her as well?

fairyfeet Wed 20-Apr-05 16:04:04

You should definately worry if you start fancying Michael Buerke and should realistically consider suing your mother for permenant parental damage :0

I beat myself up a bit over this one as I did proberly what most mothers to be do, and made a mental list of all the things I would not say or do to my soon to be DD.

I think I remained true to the list for about three months and now constantly find myself mimicing my mothers words and actions.

The first thing on my list was n ever to say anything negative about my child! Huh, well that was totally flattened when toddler tantrums came along!

lunarx Fri 22-Apr-05 20:28:03

absolutely not. my mother was vindictive, nasty, verbally and physically abusive.

Rinkydink Sun 24-Apr-05 20:09:36

I hope not!!! Our roles reverse alot! I feel like i'm her mother sometimes!
Sometimes i say things, and say to myself 'God, i sounded just like my mother then!' Then realise i'm talking to myself... which is something she does too!!

collision Sun 24-Apr-05 20:15:05

I am purposely trying not to!

My Mum hated playdough when we were kids and would not allow it in the house.

This means that ds can play with it as much as he likes! Mum came over one day and he was squishing it all over the place to my mothers horror! 'Dont you mind him doing that?' she asked. ' Oc course not,' I replied! When she had gone I had to clean it up as quickly as possible because he got it everywhere and i was trying to be cool about it!!!!

She did say once that if she ever started to turn into her mother that I should mention it. So I did. She didnt speak to me again for a month!

With my Mum i often feel like Monica in 'Friends' tho I do love her but she does my head in!

Chandra Sun 24-Apr-05 20:16:32

Yes, started when I got married and has intensified deeply since DS was born

Rinkydink Sun 24-Apr-05 20:20:05

Things i've said:
In changing rooms " No, mommies bottom isn't too big... these trousers are...just....too...small!!"
Not eating their tea "You'll go to bed hungry!"
Constant questions "...just BECAUSE!!" and "because 'why' has a tail" ???????What does THAT mean?

blueteddy Sun 24-Apr-05 20:20:39

I bl**dy well hope not!!!
I think dh would divorce me if I did!

vicdubya Sun 24-Apr-05 20:22:48

Unfortunately even worse, apparently I am turning into my Grandmother

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now