Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

God, what a battle...

(15 Posts)
HappyDaddy Fri 15-Apr-05 16:44:52

...Trying to get 11 month old dd from milk in bottle with teat to spout. What a battle. She loves her milk but has fought tooth and nail to stop the spout even getting in her mouth. She's eating food instead now and is well happy. Dunno what I'm going to do, though.
I'm knackered now!

JanH Fri 15-Apr-05 16:46:00

Have you tried her with just a cup (with no top at all)?

Shazzler Fri 15-Apr-05 16:46:48

I'm not sure on how to help - mine never really had bottles but I hope you get on OK.

I'm sure she will drink from it eventually............

SPARKLER1 Fri 15-Apr-05 16:48:52

HD - are you using a feeder cup or a teat you attach to the bottle. I used to use the Avent bottles and tried putting the spout onto them - dd's hated them. Just went straight onto using a feeder cup - they were fine. Not sure what the difference was but it worked anyway. Keep persevering - it's hard work but you'll get there.

bubblerock Fri 15-Apr-05 16:50:30

What about a sports type bottle, we got one from Asda (tommee tippee) It may be a bit more similar to the bottle but get her used to plastic instead of a teat. We got DS drinking from a straw asap as it made things easy when we were out with cartons. Good luck!

PsychoFlame Fri 15-Apr-05 16:50:53

If she doesn't like the spout why don't you just stick with the teat. My DS2 is 2 and is still on teated bottles.

HappyDaddy Fri 15-Apr-05 16:53:05

Sparkler, that's exactly my problem. I've got a spout on her normal Avent bottle.
Hmm, thanks ladies, I'll try those out.

HappyDaddy Fri 15-Apr-05 16:53:43

I'm tempted to stick to teat but dw wants to change to spout and told me not to give in...

JanH Fri 15-Apr-05 16:57:18

Oh, I didn't realise it was her usual bottle but with a spout. Agree with Sparkler, try a different feeder cup, she may be OK with that.

Fimbo Fri 15-Apr-05 16:57:29

Tesco do a cup that has a spout on it that looks almost like a teat, my ds has used this since about 8 months old and loves it. They are hard to spot in Tesco but it comes in pink/purple for the girls and green/blue for the boys, they are in a clearish square box and are there own make. I think a few others on here use it as well.

WestCountryLass Fri 15-Apr-05 19:10:17

Boots do a bottle that comes with a normal teat, then a soft spout/teat and then an actual spout. It also has handles which you can detach.

PS. Maybe your wife would like to do the teat weaning when she is at home????

HappyDaddy Sat 16-Apr-05 10:50:55

I'll definately look in Boots and Tesco today, thanks very much.

She drank from the bottle but with no top on, this morning, like a normal cup. A bit messy but it got the job done. Going to try and find some totally different looking cups today, to see if they work.

I would mention that to dw but whenever she tries these new things they always seem to work!

ElliesMad Sat 16-Apr-05 11:40:41

My daughter is 22 months and does not like cups at all. She says milk and takes me to the fridge and lokks at me as if I've lost the polt of it's anything but the bottle. Then when we try a cup, (we have about 10) she gets really upset. I spoke to the HV and she said leave it before trying again. She mentioned that you never see a bride with a bottle in her mouth! I mentioned that I was worried about her teeth and she said make sure she doesn't walk with it.
So we'll wait a while...

Donbean Sat 16-Apr-05 12:13:20

My ds is 21 months and still has his milk from a bottle, 3 times a day. TBH it has never concerned me nor has it occurred to me to stop this. Its part of his normal routine, 3 times a day we snuggle up together and he has his milk. The rest of the day he has his water from a non spill cup.
I will sorely miss these times when he decides that he is too busy to snuggle with me.
Im not particulary concerned about his teeth either because he downs the bottle in 4/5 mins and i cant see how that short a time will cause damage to his teeth,plus he consumes so much water through the day. (I have never given him fruit juice or squash)

HappyDaddy Mon 18-Apr-05 07:43:53

Thanks again, all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now