Talk

Advanced search

Is this good material for making a wrap for a newborn?

(11 Posts)
pinkdolly Tue 03-Mar-09 14:41:32

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mocha-Soft-Fine-Rib-100-COTTON-Jersey-Fabric-Material_W0QQitemZ260370599325QQcmdZView ItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM?hash=item260370599325&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C 65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

So I am looking into wrapping with my boy due in 5 weeks. I have been trying to hunt down some decent material that doesn't cost a fortune. I have found the above on ebay. What do you make of it? do you think it would be suitable/strong enough.

I have never wrapped before so was looking into an easy starter fabric.

Thanx for your help.

WowOoo Tue 03-Mar-09 14:47:34

Should be strong enough. Could you double it just in case?
Sure it will be comfy and nice. Well done for making your own!

pinkdolly Tue 03-Mar-09 14:49:22

Thanx wowOoo- after much debating I thought making my own would be the best (most cost effective option for me), I just cant decide on material.

suwoo Tue 03-Mar-09 15:02:47

Hi pinkdolly, I would be interested in looking at a pattern if you have one or hearing more about your method. Thanks.

pinkdolly Tue 03-Mar-09 15:31:56

Hi suwoo, I found this website helpful when deciding about making my own wrap.

www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=121.

Also you tube is a good source of video info for teaching you various ways of wrapping.

I admit I am no expert at wrapping, in fact I would say I am a wrapping virgin, have been using a babyhawk with my youngest dd. But I liked the idea of a more snuggly carrier for a newborn.

Hope that helps.

suwoo Tue 03-Mar-09 15:36:22

Thanks for that pink dolly, how does it look when made up? I have been looking at the moby wrap would it be similar do you think?

pinkdolly Tue 03-Mar-09 15:42:01

It was the moby's that first got me thinking along the lines of wrapping actually. I checked out the wrapping instructions on you tube and then found a length of fabric at home that wasn't really suitable but ok to practise with and then I stuck my 2 1/2 year old in it. I was amazed at how easy it was, which is why I am now looking into making my own.

There are loads of people on here much more in the know then I am tho, who could give you far better advice then me.

claireybeemine Tue 03-Mar-09 15:48:00

Should definitely be strong enough. I use a (very thin) sarong as a makeshift pouch for my one year old and it holds him fine. Oh I'm all jealous now, I loved wrapping him as a newborn and still would now but he fights me

pinkdolly Tue 03-Mar-09 16:31:38

Thanx clairey, think i have decided to buy some, just got to decide on the colour. I liked the mocha but my mum has found some in azure blue which is quite nice too.

claireybeemine Tue 03-Mar-09 17:10:17

Ooh get both grin Means you'll always have one to wear when the other has been puked on! (I had 3 wraps for ds)

suwoo Tue 03-Mar-09 22:02:27

Ooh now I am excited pinkdolly after looking on youtube at the instructions- they make it look a piece of piss grin. Are you buing 5 metres like the pattern suggests? There is a remnant shop near me which sells fabric for £1 per metre so I'll pay them a visit I think.

Thanks for your thread, I had never thought of DIY!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now