Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Shopping today, kids drive me mad in tesco what can I do?

(22 Posts)
sahara Thu 14-Apr-05 08:19:13

I am off out to tesco and recently it has become a nightmare.
My ds1 (6yr), ds2 (2 1/2yrs) are monsters and I usually end up in tears at the checkout. seriously. It's so bad the cashiers know me and will actually open up a till for me as they now how upset I am.
As soon as we enter Tesco they run off, from there I become extremely stressed. The toys are all near the front so there is no way I can avoid the cause of my stress. They will both scream if I won't buy anything for them from the toy section.
Then what's worse is my ds2 has now taken to hiding from me whilst I hunt for him. He hides on shelfs behind stuff so I have no idea where he is and walk up and down the aisles calling for him, getting worried. What can I do to end this nightmare, the only times It's ok is when I use a trolley as I can trap ds2 in that aswell but I don't drive and I push dd1 in her pram down to the store so I have to make do with a basket.

What do you do to ensure shopping is relaxed (apart from not take your kids)?
And what should I do about ds2 hiding from me all the time?

wheresmyfroggy Thu 14-Apr-05 08:25:14

Have you thought about reigns or a wrist link thingy for ds2?

have tried getting ds1 to help you by finding things you need to get, turning it into a bit of a game?

sorry if you've already thought of these, if not HTH

triceratops Thu 14-Apr-05 08:26:18

I always say that if ds is good in the supermarket (I define good as not running off or breaking anything) I will buy him a magazine that he can choose. If he is naughty I take away one train at a time until he looses the whole train set for a week. It does work but I have to keep reminding him of the rules and stick fast.

Or shop online - it is only £5 and you can use the discount codes posted here to make up for that. Many children find that supermarkets are just too stimulating and they can't behave even if they really want to when they are so excited.

nailpolish Thu 14-Apr-05 08:26:23

TESCO.COM

PandaBear Thu 14-Apr-05 08:26:27

Hi - how about internet shopping!! Avoid Tescos at all costs, that's what I do. Sorry if I have no other practical advice

sahara Thu 14-Apr-05 08:30:33

I don't have a debit card to pay for things online otherwise I would happily give up the stress of shopping. Have tried baskets for distraction for ds1 but to be honest he just does what he wants anyway. It is ds2, I was thinking about buying a small basket for him and letting him do some shopping but where can I get one that is light enough for him to carry?
I have appointmant at bank today to get a debit card so hopefully I can Tesco.com stuff all I like afterwards.

almostanangel Thu 14-Apr-05 08:30:44

get a piece of paper and draw some of the items you need to buy on it,,give them a pencil/crayon and then get them to mark the items off as you get them ,,might work for a little while any way ,,good luck

sahara Thu 14-Apr-05 08:31:42

almostanangel that sounds like its worth giving a try. thanks

PandaBear Thu 14-Apr-05 08:31:51

My DD1 is 2.5 - if I have to go to Tesco with her, I sit her in the seat and make up a story on the way round. Works with her - but then she loves stories!!

almostanangel Thu 14-Apr-05 08:34:08

maybe even get them to do the drawings before you leave ,,so its like their shopping list ..maybe let them add a little treat??

nailpolish Thu 14-Apr-05 08:37:46

tesco.com really is fantastic

in the meantime, sit him in the seat, when you go into the shop head straight for the packets of raisins, crisps etc and let him eat them around the shop then give the checkout assistant the empty packet to ring up

Nemo1977 Thu 14-Apr-05 08:49:35

Do shopping online and use all the codes on mumsnet..lol has been saving me an absolute fortune and its easy

debs26 Thu 14-Apr-05 09:21:30

put ds2 in trolley seat, buy wrist strap for ds1 - to be used if he cant behave!! can you get them a little treat for being good in the shop? we often pick up a magazine and the kids carry it round with them, if they are naughty it has to be put back. the fact that they have it in their hands is a great reminder for them to be good. if they are hungry i get a baguette and let them eat bits off it as we go round - the checkout staff seem perfectly used to scanning empty packets so i dont think i am the only one who does this! i have to say i understand why kids are naughty in shops - if i could avoid going i would too! good luck!!

stitch Thu 14-Apr-05 09:24:00

sorry sahara, but the only cure is online shopping.
ive been doing it for four years now, since just before ds2 was born. same age gap as you. i now have three kids, and go into a supermarket about twice a year now. texco will deliver it on tuesday or wednesday for four pounds. surely your sanity is worth more than 3.99?

stitch Thu 14-Apr-05 09:26:11

sahara, it is better to use a credit card than a debit card. that way, if anyone does get hold of your details, then it is the companies money and not your s they are spending/ iyswim

stitch Thu 14-Apr-05 09:26:22

sahara, it is better to use a credit card than a debit card. that way, if anyone does get hold of your details, then it is the companies money and not your s they are spending/ iyswim

purpleturtle Thu 14-Apr-05 09:28:59

Stitch, I'm guessing that if Sahara doesn't have a debit card yet, she's not running credit cards either.

iota Thu 14-Apr-05 09:29:37

I use one of 3 solutions:

shop when boys are in school/nursery
dh goes at 7 am on Sat morning
online shopping

I took both of them the other week in the school hols and it was a nightmare - forgot how bad it could be (mine are 5 and 3)

nailpolish Thu 14-Apr-05 09:35:29

yes 24 hr shopping is great

ive been in asda loads of times at 3am - when pg and i couldnt sleep, and i do it every xmas

is there someone who could watch the children late at night or early morning to let you go on your own?

when you do get the debit card i would highly recommend tesco.com though

sahara Thu 14-Apr-05 09:39:06

No credit Card unfortunately.
Thanks for your advice. I guess I sort of knew already that it is distration that works, or doing it online. Just needed to hear it said.
Ds1 is out of school waiting to find out where will be named on his statement.
So it's atruly difficult time to be trying to have a peaceful shopping experience.

lunavix Thu 14-Apr-05 09:41:54

Go to another supermarket....

Sainsburys and Asda have creches. You'll need to spend a tiny bit (£2 each??) but you'll save on 'Muuuum, can I have this?'

nailpolish Thu 14-Apr-05 09:44:40

creches?

i must find one of then round here

great idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now