Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Travel with kids??

(7 Posts)
AnotherHelen Wed 13-Apr-05 16:21:44

Hello! I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and we are taking them on holiday to butlins in minehead in 3 weeks, we live in Grimsby and so its going to be around 6 hours travel, i am hoping someone could maybe give me some tips on how to make the journey as stress-free as possible (i know it wont be completeley stree-free!) would it be best to travel at night or in the day? xxx

Wallace Wed 13-Apr-05 20:50:51

Lots of stops I think! It may be best to travel at night, but recently I did a 6 hour journey with my 3 and 5 year olds. The 3 year old only slept for an hour and a half, and the 5 year old was awake for all but 20 minutes we did start at 1am, so they were disturbed by being woken up and put in the car, they would probably have been ok if we had set off at bedtime.

oooggs Wed 13-Apr-05 21:06:25

Defo at teatime, stop for tea then stop again for jimjams and milk then at the other end transfer into bed. I know how far it is we have just driven up to Hull from Saltash, Cornwall (very near to Devon).

It worked for us but DS is 16 mths.

Have a great time

Willow2 Wed 13-Apr-05 21:08:36

Hiya, if you post this in the travel section you might get a bit more of a response. I'd be inclined to travel from mid afternoon, with a tea stop and then into pyjamas so they can fall asleep in the car - or get up really early and just put them in the car and hope the shock keeps them quiet!

Marshmellow Wed 13-Apr-05 21:12:09

We went down to Cornwall last year with dd1 aged 3 and dd2 aged 17 months. If anyone had told me it was going to be an 8 hour trip i think i would have had a nervous breakdown at the mere thought of a journey that long!! However, we went down during the day and only had 2 brief stops and they were fine. We came back at night so they slept most of the way and the whole experience was far better than i imagined. I did go and buy loads of picture books and new casette tapes etc to occupy little minds and i'd certainly recommend having a few 'new' things to distract if need be. At least in a car you can just keep stopping if you have to and stretch your legs. Have a great time

allyolly Wed 13-Apr-05 23:04:05

Hi
I have four children under 6 and mean mother that I am! I always leave for our caravan in devon at bedtime....not only is the journey much quicker but the children drop off, get carried into bed at the other end leaving me free to enjoy a glass of wine or two before the chaos of our holiday begins....stress free? totally! Well sort of. xx

goreousgirl Wed 13-Apr-05 23:17:14

How about a laptop and a dvd! Daytime travel is good because you can stop and stomp - nightime travel is good because they MIGHT be asleep - difficult to keep them that way when you arrive though!! Very best of luck. Have a plan for your arrival if at night )ie work out how you will transport them to the room with minimum stimulation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now