Talk

Advanced search

6mo eating ice-cream and jelly?

(17 Posts)
bibiboo Wed 13-Apr-05 07:54:16

Am I wrong to think my 6mo dd is too young for jelly and ice cream? I don't think I am but evidently my family does. She was only given a tiny bit of jelly "to suck on" and a spoon of ice-cream, but I've already told them I don't want to introduce her to sweet foods/treats until she's a lot older. This was done in front of me btw, but in a crowd of people whilst laughing and saying "Mummy is going to kill me for giving you this..."
I didn't know what to do except laugh it off but say she's not to have it again. I am really angry that other people can take such liberties with my child!
Am I totally over-reacting? Don't mind you lot telling me if i am.

lockets Wed 13-Apr-05 07:57:51

Message withdrawn

LGJ Wed 13-Apr-05 08:00:38

Sounds like my vile SIL.

Seriously was your mother involved in this ?

If so I would have a quiet word, and ask politely that you are not undermined in front of people.

My DS didnt have J & I until he was well gone 2.

Newbarnsleygirl Wed 13-Apr-05 08:00:40

No not at all. It's recomended that you don't give ice cream until after 12 months like cows milk.

I am quite strict when it comes to other people giving food to my dd and it drives me mad when they don't listen to me. Like the other day, dd hadn't eaten her lunch so the rule is she doesn't have anything else until her tea. We have always done this but oh no certain somebodys want to give her chocolate and biscuits

It makes me very cross.

triceratops Wed 13-Apr-05 08:16:46

I don't think a lick or a taste of anything is going to do harm to a normal six month old ( when I think what ds was putting in his mouth at that age ). What was wrong with this situation was that your family was bullying you by deliberately doing something they knew would upset you and then laughing about how uncomfortable you were between themselves.

lapsedrunner Wed 13-Apr-05 08:19:13

DS is 2.7 and still hasn't tasted ice cream, not sure if that makes me a good or bad mum!

Papillon Wed 13-Apr-05 08:23:34

What point was there in giving a child sweets / ice cream except to satisfy themselves?? They did not respect you or your child. Be proud to draw your line and insist they adhere to! You are being alot wiser than they are...

myermay Wed 13-Apr-05 08:26:32

Message withdrawn

pixiefish Wed 13-Apr-05 08:27:29

What a #######################

sorry for the swearing but i do wish that people wouldn't do this. Your baby~ your decision. They wouldn't like it if you undermined them with their kids.

Amanda3266 Wed 13-Apr-05 08:33:57

Don't you just hate family sometimes. My Mum was amazed that I wasn't feeding my son all sorts of things at six months. All I kept hearing was "you were weaned at six weeks and your sister was given her first solids at two weeks" (apparently sister got a jar of baby food at two weeks because she screamed so much and the GP told Mum to "feed her some solids - she needs them" (!)

beansontoast Wed 13-Apr-05 08:40:07

id have freaked...however looking back there is alot to be said for 'lightening up'.

try to look at it in terms of how much good stuff your mum/whoever does for the baby and what their relationship is like and weigh it all up.

Enid Wed 13-Apr-05 08:41:43

dh gave dd2 apple pie and custard when she was 10 weeks old, she loved it (still does - shes 2 now and still alive )

beansontoast Wed 13-Apr-05 08:43:14

bibiboo..ive just read your other post re mil...hope you dont think im being brutal?
thsi is a very emotional time and i assure you i was just the same

Bozza Wed 13-Apr-05 08:46:33

Would have been more concerned with DS than with DD. As in, I have lightened up. Although was rather annoyed at the amount of chocolate 7mo DD was given for Christmas. Didn't let her have any. And as for Easter when she was 10 months.... I have let her have a little but just a taste of DS's hoardes would have been sufficient.

Six months is very young though as you have probably only just started weaning. And agree that it is very undermining so

stitch Wed 13-Apr-05 08:52:04

i think six months is far too young. but having said that, i remember when i was fifteen, and my cousin who couldnt have been more than sixish months old, feeding her my bowl of pistachio ice cream. i used to be very precious about my pistachio ice cream, and no one was allowed any, but she was so cute and adorable, and she kept wanting more, i think she must have polished off quite a bit.
her mom didnt say anything. neither did mine.
but i wouldnt let anyone give any to my six month old.

bibiboo Wed 13-Apr-05 11:42:33

I think triceratops has hit the nail on the head. It's not the actual food that upset me (although I'm not happy about it), it's the way it was done, i.e. I would have felt stupid making a big fuss about it in public, when everyone else was of the opinion that it wouldn't harm her. I know they would never harm her, it's the lack of respect for my wishes and choices re DD such as vegetarianism. DM and MIL think I'm mad and wrong and quite openly tell me how I am depriving her. But then go on to gag when I tell them what I've prepared for dd to eat (to make sure she gets enough iron/protein etc.
Families suck sometimes.
But on the other hand, both DM and MIL are wonderful grans to her (well, my DM is actually my gran, so great gran to dd). So what can you do?
I'm just glad I can justify my decision to say no to these things. The problem I have is, my Aunt (who fed her the ice-cream) has a dd who is very close in age to my dd and thinks if it's okay to give to her daughter, it's okay to give to mine. How do I say no without sounding like I'm accusing her of being a bad mother?

beansprout Wed 13-Apr-05 12:16:17

Bibi - I really feel for you. I would have gone apesh*t.
It's ok to simply say that you don't want dd to have something. You speak for you and if anyone wants to infer anything about themselves, well, that's up to them. You can't have dd being fed stuff that upsets you just to keep someone else happy.

I totally agree that the way it was done was bloody horrible. Shame on them. What on earth is the point of doing something like that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now