Talk

Advanced search

Are your dc's school jumpers always covered in huge grease stains and other crud?

(19 Posts)
MilaMae Mon 09-Feb-09 14:19:21

Have accepted I'll never find out where it comes from but just wondering if everybody else

a) manages to get it out every wash if so how?

b)like me they just send them into school with said stains after jumper has had a wash

or c) you all replace them.

madwomanintheattic Mon 09-Feb-09 14:20:22

b.

Hassled Mon 09-Feb-09 14:22:43

DS2's school jumpers are covered in toothpaste spit before he even leaves the house. The real killer is school glue on a jumper/sweatshirt - nothing seems to shift it. And yes, I just pack the DCs off regardless - I'm not proud!

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 09-Feb-09 14:24:34

b
I regard school uniform as being in the same class of clothing as overalls or aprons - they are meant to get filthy. That's how I know they are keeping busy.

TrulyMadBadandDeeply Mon 09-Feb-09 14:28:01

b) but I am a dab hand with the Vanish bar and most of the stains do go eventually (ro be replaced with fresh ones, obviously).

whenigrowupiwanttobe Mon 09-Feb-09 14:29:33

b
c would cost me a fortune!

ThePellyandMe Mon 09-Feb-09 14:30:56

b

The person who's idea it was to have pale blue sweaters at my ds' school should have to wash them all IMO. Have tried everything and still can't get most of the stains out.

idobelieveinfairies Mon 09-Feb-09 14:33:59

Mine have light blue polos that get stained from whatever the soft-surface is made of!

A new game 'sausage rolls' which involves children lying on the floor and rolling around shouting 'sausage rolls' isn't going to help....we are ok for now....with coats on....fingers crossed they have found a new game by the summer!

catinthehat1 Mon 09-Feb-09 14:38:14

..and the cuffs go as well, it is like rats have chewed them in the night.Baffling..

MilaMae Mon 09-Feb-09 14:40:23

Sympathies Pelly I'm struggling with red grin

Will go potholing under the sink for my dusty old Vanish bar(forgot I had one of those)worth a try.

Encouraging to hear we're all doing the same,just thought I'd check smile

Thanks

abraid Mon 09-Feb-09 14:47:21

b).

It's always the new ones that get the lasting stains, too.

Yes--why do they chew on the cuffs?

ThePellyandMe Mon 09-Feb-09 18:35:27

Yes, we had red last year MilaMae, they were bad enough.

All the schools round here changed uniform when they became Primaries and I look enviously at the other schools with their practical burgundy and their stain hiding navy.

My plans to hand sweaters down to DS2 are fast going out the window.

TrulyMadBadandDeeply Mon 09-Feb-09 18:56:30

Hmm, don't assume that navy is any easier, Pelly. There's something in school custard which creates a semi-permanent pale mark!

<<Wonders why schools don't adopt camouflage pattern for uniform as it would be so much better at hiding stains>>

HerbWoman Mon 09-Feb-09 19:40:55

Abraid - I read years ago that they chew on the cuffs as a teething aid. The permanent teeth start coming through around 6, and I guess there might be the need to chew before that. DD used to do it around that age and it used to really annoy me until I read that.

With their school tops, I go for b. No way do I replace them as there's no guarantee that they won't get another permanent stain the first time they wear them. It only seems to be certain pens and some paint that doesn't wash out though.

DanJARMouse Mon 09-Feb-09 19:44:46

b

DD1 has been part time since september. I have already replaced her polo shirts (white) because by xmas they were beyond repair (and dh shrunk them in the tumble dryer) but her school cardigan (red) is filthy. Black biro and all sorts. Bobbly and cuffs going too. oh, and the buttons keep coming off.

Will get her a few new ones for Easter when she goes full time but they are rubbish.

bodiddly Mon 09-Feb-09 19:47:57

have yet to get into the whole school uniform issue as ds doesnt start school until september .. but definitely have this problem with nursery - everything gets ruined by glue/paint/food .. you name it! Out of interest how many school jumpers etc do you buy for your primary school age kids?

bigTillyMint Mon 09-Feb-09 19:51:32

Mine have 4 each, and wear them for 2 days if possible!

DS used to be fastidiously careful about keeping his clean, but couldn't care less now, whereas DD used to drop all her food down it and now doesn't.smile

bodiddly Mon 09-Feb-09 19:55:03

thanks btm .. my mum has offered to buy ds his first school sweatshirt as she has bought them for each of her other grandsons .. I just wondered how many others I was likely to need!

mamijacacalys Mon 09-Feb-09 20:02:16

bI have 3 sets of uniform for DS (age 6, Year 1) so he has a clean set every day on 4 days - I send him in trackies when it's PE on a Wednesday. (I normally wash the Monday set on a Monday or  a Tuesday so they are ready for the 2nd wearing later in the week).Recommend M&S trousers as they are teflon re-inforced and (amazingly) he has failed to trash them after a term and a half plus they look fab without ironing - just fold them after tumbling or before hanging on airer.The sweatshirts and poloshirts are a jade green colour and embroidered with the school motif. Pricier than high st or supermarket alternatives and only available from a local shop.  But they are lasting really well as they are good quality 'Trutex' brand and don't bobble with repeated washing.  Still get the odd greasy mark though but a good soak in a bit of Vanish usually sorts it.
HTH smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now