Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How often do you buy your LO's a magazine?

(17 Posts)
Ceebee74 Mon 02-Feb-09 20:42:51

Just wondering - DS1 is 2.6 and he gets one, on average, about once a week. I prefer to buy a magazine than sweets - even though the free gift is plastic tat which he plays with for, ooh a minute grin

He loves choosing which one to have and it keeps him occupied whilst we go round the supermarket or town.

thisisyesterday Mon 02-Feb-09 20:46:20

we used to get one each week when we went to the supermarket but i am so tired of tantrums when the useless bit of shit breaks, and him not even looking at the actual magazine that i've banned them lol

i'd rather buy him a toy car or something (about 50p in sainsburys) than a magazine

Portofino Mon 02-Feb-09 20:52:26

My dd usually gets one a week. But she is nearly 5, so actually enjoys the puzzles and colouring in, and is starting to read bits and pieces. We have a box in the playroom though filled with the resulting plastic tat. Oh and Disney princess pictures/stickers everywhere.

Ans was it her or DH who stuck Peppa Pig "Oink Oink" magnets on the biscuit tin. Or am I being paranoid...?

morningpaper Mon 02-Feb-09 20:54:05

maybe 2 or 3 times a year

I've started buying the Usborne Sticker Books for my two now - they are fantastic

duckyfuzz Mon 02-Feb-09 20:54:14

DTs are 5 and I think I've bought them 2 ever (both times when away from home, in a bid to keep them entertained) I think they are a complete waste of money really, but don't mind the odd one, every other year or so

duckyfuzz Mon 02-Feb-09 20:55:56

yes sticker books, esp from book people, are much better value and require less parental input I find

ChasingSquirrels Mon 02-Feb-09 20:59:43

ds2 (3y) gets one every few weeks, my mum buys them.
ds1 (6y) had them when he was smaller and now gets NG Kids on subscription (Tesco points) and the free Lego mag.

PandaG Mon 02-Feb-09 21:01:45

didn't buy them very often at all while DC were little. my Dad now gives them both comic money, £1 a week, which gets put towards Beano (DS aged9) and the yucky fortnightly Disney Princess magazine for DD (6)

thisisyesterday Mon 02-Feb-09 21:02:16

oh god, try doing a sticker book with ds1 then.
he goes all weird and refuses to put the stickers in unless I have discussed each one with him and helped him decide exactly where to put it.
hmm

cmotdibbler Mon 02-Feb-09 21:04:37

DS (2.8) gets about one a month now - he likes to colour/stick/ read them and then cut things out. And he really enjoys the choosing and purchasing of one

needtodohousework Mon 02-Feb-09 21:05:35

Morning paper - I am selling those sticker books for £1 each (plus p+p) if you are interested? They are meant to be £3.99 and are brand new. CAT me if you are interested. smile

morningpaper Mon 02-Feb-09 21:07:13

great - have catted you!

ramonaquimby Mon 02-Feb-09 21:09:53

rarely - sometimes for a plane trip. We also get Nat Geo for kids, really like that.

Smee Mon 02-Feb-09 21:15:50

We only get them on long train journeys, which is a few times a year. Works well as it's a real treat then.

duckyfuzz Mon 02-Feb-09 21:19:32

sticker books

Mimia Mon 02-Feb-09 21:29:23

I used to buy them until I realised the crap I was wasting my money on. Now she gets a book from the local cheapy bookshop for £1-2 pound once a month.

pollywobbledoodle Mon 02-Feb-09 21:29:37

only 3-4 times a year.....but at the end of feb amazon sells off it's annuals, last year they were a pound or 2 each....much better value

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now