Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Cot to bed - when did your child make the move?

(19 Posts)
EldonAve Sat 31-Jan-09 20:30:32

DC1 was moved to a bed at 2 as we needed the cot for DC2

DC2 is now 2 and still in the cot
How long can you keep them in a cot? Assuming they don't get the hang of climbing out?

LadyOfWaffle Sat 31-Jan-09 21:18:38

DS was in it until about 2.3. For the last 6 months odd the side was off though. Depending on size you can keep them in any length of time I guess

cece Sat 31-Jan-09 21:21:49

Both of mine were about two and half. DD couldn't climb out but we decided to do it anyway. DS on the other hand started climbing out so it forced our hand a bit.

onadietcokebreak Sat 31-Jan-09 21:23:32

Im thinking the same. DS is only 16mths but if he didnt have the cot would be able to store more in his room....hardly a good enough reason to move him though is it!!!!

May try him for naps in bed first before the big move.

pania Sat 31-Jan-09 21:40:15

Ds is still in his at 2.11! And he's very tall too. But it's more like a daybed since we took one side off (Ikea cot - this one). At some point we'll have to get him a proper bed but we're not in any hurry. He does nap in our bed and never falls out, so that's reassuring.

ChiefMangosuthuButhelezi Sat 31-Jan-09 21:49:21

Ds1 was in a bed at 3. Ds2 is 3 in march and still in his cot, but only because ds1 opens the gate and would let ds2 out to topple down the stairs.
Sometimes ds2 sleeps in ds1's bed and I put the bed guard up, but that's only when ds1 is in with me (usually every night at the moment)

Mummyfor3 Sat 31-Jan-09 21:51:24

DS1 moved to a bed aged 2 1/2 yrs; DS2 then insisted to move into a big boy bed as well - aged 1 1/2 yrs shock!

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 31-Jan-09 21:52:12

2 and a hafl when she was climbing out, getting books and climbing back in again

Ceebee74 Sat 31-Jan-09 21:54:15

2.3 because DS2 was on his way imminently and thought I should get it out of the way whilst I was on maternity leave but before the baby arrived iyswim!

Unfortunately it has meant many more sleepless nights for us than the baby has given us sad but we can't go back!

nappyzonehasastroppytoddler Sat 31-Jan-09 21:54:27

DS moved into a bed (cot bed size) last Saturday aged 27 months. Seems happy enough and hasnt fell out (yet)or realised he can get out himself - his room seems so much bigger. We have a cabin bed (lower one) dismantled inthe loft waiting for him when he is a competent bed sleeper which i am hoping will be this yeat. His room is the size of a small toilet blush

forkhandles Sat 31-Jan-09 21:56:11

All mine moved around 2yrs I know a friend who had her DD in a cot bed (as a cot not a bed) until she was 3yrs as she never climbed out and was perfectly happy

onadietcokebreak Sun 01-Feb-09 00:03:55

fivegomadindorset....that made me laugh...could just imagine my son doing that when older!

Twinklemegan Sun 01-Feb-09 00:09:25

We took the side of DS's cot a couple of weeks ago. He's 2 and a half. He never climbed out of his cot, but that was because he wore a Grobag. He was starting to be very grumpy indeed in the mornings, and a nightmare to put to bed. Since we took the side off he's been a joy - even running to put himself to bed. We can read a story in bed and in the morning he's much sunnier. A great move. He won't be going in a proper bed for at least another 6 months though - there's plenty of room left in the cot just now.

TheYearOfTheCat Sun 01-Feb-09 00:23:42

Our DD moved at 2.7 years. Our DS is currently in the process of moving - he is 21 months [sigh]. He has been climbing out of the cot for the last 4 months.

He knows he wants to move from his cot, just doesn't know what he wants. Has slept in the big boy double bed beside his cot; the big boy single bed in his sister's room; mummy & daddy's bed - alternating between being cuddling into Mummy, then Daddy; falling asllep downstairs and being lifed up to bed . . . .

I should go to bed myself.

S1ur Sun 01-Feb-09 00:50:16

Ooooh I moved ds TONIGHT (he is 2)

EldonAve Sun 01-Feb-09 09:06:32

Thanks everyone

Tigerschick Sun 01-Feb-09 09:14:57

We bought DD a bed for her 2nd birthday.
We put it up as soon as we bought it and DD moved in that night - she was about 22 months.
She has a bed bar but I'm not certain that she really needs it - it's more for peace of mind.

seeker Sun 01-Feb-09 09:18:19

We never had a cot. Straight from Moses basket to futon. Easy peasy.

DustyTv Sun 01-Feb-09 09:22:35

We actually moved DD into her single bed last night. She has one of those side things so she doesn't fall out. DD is 14mo and she slept fine, I'm just hoping that she carried on sleeping okay in it. Her cot bed is still up in her room in case she would rather sleep in there.

By the sounds of the other posts maybe my DD is too young. Will have to wait and see how she is over the next few nights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now