Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

14 month age gap between two children

(11 Posts)
tew Tue 05-Apr-05 16:43:48

I'm unexpectedly 11 weeks pregnant with my second child, and fingers crossed, there will only be 14 months age difference between the two. Would love to hear positive? experiences from other parents in the same boat! Have been told that my first child won't be jealous as won't be aware of what's going on? Thx.

sorrel Tue 05-Apr-05 16:48:48

no direct experience of this except dh and his siter are 9 months apart( SIL was a premie). They are very close, so i suppose thats good. Congratulations tew!

ja9 Tue 05-Apr-05 16:49:50

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

No advice to give - sorry! I only have one so far. hope your keeping well.

tew Tue 05-Apr-05 16:50:23

Thanks Sorrel, has taken me a little while to get used to the idea, but at least it's not twins!

lucysmum Tue 05-Apr-05 16:54:25

only 13 months between my brother and me. We always got on very well my mother says, happy to do the same things (as much as a boy and girl ever will be!), had the same friends. My mum didn't particuarly enjoy the little baby stage and was pleased to get all the nappies, sleepless nights etc out of the way over a relatively short period of time.

tew Tue 05-Apr-05 16:59:24

Thanks Lucysmum. We wanted to have them close in age, but didn't think it would happen quite this quickly! x

jenkel Tue 05-Apr-05 17:02:58

I have a bit more that you, 17 months between my 2 dd's.

We had no jealousy at all, think dd1 wasnt really old enough to remember life without her sister. I think its harder work initially, your first born will still be very dependent on you, but as long as you can cope with that I think it is easier on the child. I was the first out of a large group of friends to have their 2nd, and watching my friends, the older the first born gets the more jealousy issues they seem to have.

DD2 has just turned 1 and its a wonderful time with them both, they play with the same toys and they play together which is lovely.

So I would say, quite tough for the first 6 months and then it seems to get progessively easier.

jolou1 Tue 05-Apr-05 17:03:12

There are fourteen months between my boys and I'm so pleased I did it this way (although it all happened a bit quicker than I planned!) There's no getting away from the fact it's bloody hard work at times, but two and a half years on, they have a great relationship (all out war and cuddles in equal measure)and there's never a dull moment! All I can say is try and get as much rest during pregnancy as possible (I used to get a quick half hour kip each day in the car at work during my lunchtime.) Lots of early nights if you can't rest in the day and try to eat well, you will need the energy!
Don't be afraid to ask for help and whatever you do, don't feel guilty that you're depriving your first child. DS1 doesn't remember life before his brother and he wouldn't have it any other way. It also helps to learn to perfect the "feeding two children at the same time technique". And you'll have arm muscles to die for. Good luck!

Tiggiwinkle Tue 05-Apr-05 17:05:36

There are 15 months between my 2 eldest DSs-but they are now 22 and 23 years old!
Would not be too sure about the oldest not being jealous though-mine was! They still have their moments now, but on the whole get on well.
Congratulations!

tew Wed 06-Apr-05 09:38:53

Thx for all your supportive messages, think it will be very hard work, but worth it in long run! x

BethAndHerBrood Wed 06-Apr-05 16:56:30

There are 12 months and 3 weeks between my two. The hardest thing for me was being pg and having a baby at the same time. When I was 8 months pg I had to carry my small boy about, as he wasn't walking by then and that was hard, plus my DS was a nightmare baby, didn't sleep, so I was exhausted all the time.

But once DD was born, I found it all relatively easy. Ignore advice given to you from people with no experience of this. It will be way out!! Having 2 children this close together is completely different to just having 2 children!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now