Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Is it normal for a two year old to stick her fingers down her throat to vomit?

(16 Posts)
bubble99 Sun 03-Apr-05 20:38:07

The Bubble family met up with the extended family today. One of them is lucky enough to have a swimming pool so we were at their house. My two year old niece was in swimming with her mother, my neurotic SIL, when she swallowed some water. She vomited a little in the pool (yuk!) but it was what happened next that really shocked me. She climbed out of the pool and stuck her fingers down her throat in a purposeful manner and vomited some more. I have long suspected that my SIL has an eating disorder. Sudden weight loss, going to the loo promptly after meals and eating a huge amount of food for one so skinny. I can't help but think that my niece was copying what she'd seen mummy do. How sad.

Hulababy Sun 03-Apr-05 20:53:04

That does not sound healthy, or particularly normal, behaviour for a two year to me. Mt almost three year old would not even understand that she could do that, let alone try it.

kama Sun 03-Apr-05 20:53:53

Message withdrawn

Pruni Sun 03-Apr-05 21:05:39

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Sun 03-Apr-05 21:07:36

It can be normal for a child to make themselves vomit deliberately for attention but they usually scream until they are sick. This sounds a bit odd to me.

lou33 Sun 03-Apr-05 21:07:54

i wouldnt say it was normal either

coppertop Sun 03-Apr-05 21:18:22

Ds2 (2.2yrs) sometimes sticks his fingers into the back of his throat when he's upset. Now and then he will actually be sick but this seems to be unintentional IYSWIM. He puts his fingers down his throat (probably sensory-related) but doesn't do it with the intention of making himself sick - in fact he seems very surprised when it happens.

I would be worried that your niece was copying tbh.

bubble99 Sun 03-Apr-05 22:01:39

I'm going to have a word with my BIL. I need to get my facts straight before talking to her. I think he will be honest enough to say if she is bulimic (as I suspect she is.) All very sad and she needs help but in the meantime she's got to lock the bathroom door before vomiting. Sticking my beak in I know, but what message does it send to a toddler about food?

Twiglett Sun 03-Apr-05 22:03:52

DS manages to cough until he's sick sometimes

but he gets no attention for doing it, and he makes sure he goes to the toilet

I don't think that's usual behaviour, it sounds learned to be honest

although maybe its to do with hygiene and swallowing pool water???

I would look into it, sounds suspect

Socci Sun 03-Apr-05 22:08:03

Message withdrawn

tiffini Sun 03-Apr-05 22:09:12

my DD 16 months put her fingers down her throat and gags ( never vomits) i dont know why she does it, it seems to facinate her.
And my DS went through the same stage when he was about 3, everytime he was told off.

tiffini Sun 03-Apr-05 22:09:57

fascinate even D'OH

dancer77 Mon 04-Apr-05 01:24:45

My ds done this from about 12 months and it always used to be after he had eaten. He used to do it when he had enough to eat and wanted to get out of his chair! (I know he's younger) He also used to think it was funny and if I told him not to do it he would laugh and do it even more. However from the history of your SIL does sound like there may be a problem.

bobbybob Mon 04-Apr-05 02:05:21

Did your SIL see it? That could be enough to ensure that she is a little more careful what her dd sees. Rather like people's language improves the first time they hear their toddler swear.

piximon Mon 04-Apr-05 21:05:53

My 2.5 year old son had been making himself gag recently. He thought it was really funny until he was actually sick and frightened himself. He hasn't done it since.

sansouci Mon 04-Apr-05 21:07:44

No, this is not normal. Is criminal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now