Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ear piercing of babies, what do you think?

(413 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Fri 01-Apr-05 21:56:18

Sometimes i think i live in a romany gypsy camp the number of babies i see with pierced ears and jewellery dangling from their little wrists. Having never adopted the courage to get my own ears pierced, i cant imagine piercing a little baby's ears. Its brutal and so common! What gives with this practice? In my opinion, its mutilation. The dangling bracelets are a health hazard to little ones, and i fear they could break their arms if they got them tangled in their sweaters.

What gives with this?

mamadadawahwah Fri 01-Apr-05 21:57:09

By the way, nothing against the travelling community in this thread, just used romany gypsy camp to illustrate.

Lonelymum Fri 01-Apr-05 21:57:53

I think it is YUK.

spod Fri 01-Apr-05 21:58:27

i hate pierced ears on babies and children... why do people do this? who is it really for?

KatieMac Fri 01-Apr-05 21:59:10

I think it is dangerous and I would refuse to mind a child wearing jewellry

LGJ Fri 01-Apr-05 22:00:24

The pits of commonality. IMHO

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 01-Apr-05 22:00:47

I think it's awful. TBH I haven't seen a baby with pierced ears for a long time.

debs26 Fri 01-Apr-05 22:02:03

my friend wanted her dd ears pierced but had to get someone else to take her in because she couldnt face it. i found her sitting on a bench really upset because she could hear her SIX WEEK OLD dd screaming in the shop. why why why why why????????????????

mamadadawahwah Fri 01-Apr-05 22:02:58

I live in N Ireland and together with the pierced ears and jewellery are the butch "buzz" cuts for the boys and soccer team shell suits and for the girls is frilly, almost wedding like outfits. the money they must spend on this tat. They think their kids are well turned out. They think they are keeping up with the jones' and have no idea of either taste, or child safety. Arrgh

Aimsmum Fri 01-Apr-05 22:03:10

Message withdrawn

Evesmama Fri 01-Apr-05 22:03:29

one word...
Chav!!
well that my opinion, especially round here and normally accompanied by a 16 yr old mother with a large glod clown round her nexk and belt size hoop earings with shiny balls at the bottom!

mamadadawahwah Fri 01-Apr-05 22:04:09

excuse my ignorance or age but what is a chav?

ladymuck Fri 01-Apr-05 22:04:38

Not that uncommon round here, but mainly cultural. Couldn't do it myself, but then I'm still astounded to see 2.5 yo boys with pierced ears and necklaces at ds's pre-school - even if you thought that the fashion statement was acceptable wouldn't you view as dabgerous in those circumstances?

kama Fri 01-Apr-05 22:04:52

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Fri 01-Apr-05 22:05:12

Message withdrawn

mamadadawahwah Fri 01-Apr-05 22:05:42

Kama, one question - why??

Evesmama Fri 01-Apr-05 22:05:46

oh dear
thats the new word everyones using..basically means fake burberry wearing, trousers tucked in socks with 4 kids before your 15 type person

i use other words, but this is more polite

Lonelymum Fri 01-Apr-05 22:06:08

Your neighbours sound like chavs if that explains the word to you.

mamadadawahwah Fri 01-Apr-05 22:06:27

but what is chav an acronym for ?
or is it?

Lonelymum Fri 01-Apr-05 22:08:54

this might interest someone

Pinotmum Fri 01-Apr-05 22:09:18

The best I've seen is a 3 month old with a gold signet ring on his finger.

nutcracker Fri 01-Apr-05 22:09:45

Both my dd's had theie ears pierced at about 3 yrs old. Both asked and i had mine done at 2, so had no objections and still don't.

They are only allowed to wear studs and take them out for swimming, pe etc.

ThomCat Fri 01-Apr-05 22:10:51

Gross. Wrong. Unnessecery.

Some asian familes do it and not quite sure of the cultural reason but respect them all the same.
Other than that, it's wrong. it's the 'parent' dressing up their 'doll' and it's shocking.

It's the sort of thing that makes me want to stop the parent and ask them 'why?'.

It makes me sad and it makes me angry.

mamadadawahwah Fri 01-Apr-05 22:12:26

Well i suppose in some "cultures" it is accepted to mutilate girls genitalia. I dont accept the "cultural" excuse at all.

Pinotmum Fri 01-Apr-05 22:13:08

It's unusual in Spain not to have your dd's ears pierced I have been told - perhaps I've been told incorrectly. I just wouldn't do it for safety reasons. though when dd is older if she wants them pierced we can discuss it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now