Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DD v.upset by profile on Wii-Fit

(70 Posts)
LightShinesInTheDarkness Thu 08-Jan-09 12:53:48

I just wondered whether anyone else has come across this problem? DD (10) had a Wii-Fit for Christmas, and when she set up her profile it said she was 'in danger of being overweight'.

Her reaction has been extreme - she has been crying, sworn us to secrecy that we must not tell anyone, passworded her profile. More worrying though, she now insists she is fat, needs to lose weight, wants cucumber for breakfast etc.

We have tried reasoning with her, explaining that its only a machine, can't see her etc. She is beautiful and gorgeous and I thought she believed us when we told her that, but this has rocked her world.

Any tips, please?

wannaBe Thu 08-Jan-09 12:55:04

why would you buy a 10 year old a wii fit?

mumblechum Thu 08-Jan-09 12:55:34

I've heard from a couple of people that the Wii described them as overweight, when they're not at all. I'd tell her it's a glitch with the Wii and if she needs reassurance, put her details into the BMI calculator online (obv. try it first yourself) which will give her a more accurate picture.

julesrose Thu 08-Jan-09 12:56:06

what a horrible machine! Can you re-do her profile?

RipMacWinkle Thu 08-Jan-09 12:56:59

I might be being a bit thick but is the regular BMI check meant for kids? I thought it was only really useful for adults?

AnarchyAunt Thu 08-Jan-09 12:59:55

Having looked on the Wii Fit website it does state that the BMI assessment/profiling stuff is for adults, not those under 19 (here)

SweatyArseCrack Thu 08-Jan-09 13:00:16

I know of a few kids who got wii fit for christmas. From what I've heard it almost ALWAYS tells people that they're either over-weight or in danger of becomming overweight.
Shame she is so upset by it though.

Seona1973 Thu 08-Jan-09 13:00:40

I am sure there is a different BMI calculator for children too which would give different results to the one used for adults. Here is one for children here

blondie80 Thu 08-Jan-09 13:02:13

if truly you don't think she is overweight and that the wii is wrong somehow, check what user details she entered.

my 9yr old is a healthy weight and came out over weight but we found she had put in the wrong height.

if she is overweight, then using the wii to monitor and get her back into the recommened healthy range will be good for her.

daisydora Thu 08-Jan-09 13:03:16

My sister got one for xmas and my nephew (7) has been on it and has becomeobsessed by his profile. He is not overweight but he seems to be a bit fixated on making sure he doesn't put on weight and his bmi....definately a machine that should only be used for adults.

PortAndLemon Thu 08-Jan-09 13:04:14

Could you book a GP's appointment? Perhaps she needs to hear it from someone in authority rather than from her parents?

AnarchyAunt Thu 08-Jan-09 13:04:32

But tbh you are encouraging body consciousness by buying her one in the first place IMVHO.

Its an electronic machine all about fitness and health, its a perfect example of the madness in society. Why can't we just let kids walk places and play in the park? What advantage does a Wii Fit give over an active healthy lifestyle? What message does it send to children, that we feel they need a machine to tell them if they are fat/fit/healthy?

Sorry, I know that will not be a popular viewpoint.

VaginaShmergina Thu 08-Jan-09 13:05:26

Poor DD, that is awful and I can completely sympathise. Mt DD (nearly 9) would react the same way as she is having issues with her size already. She has a very slim (Slim is the word I am using to her, however this girl is skeletal) SHe appears to be the ALpha female and has said some not nicethings to my DD.

Was thinking about getting a wiifit ourselves, may now however give it a swerve.

Agree with the others really, just reassure her that the machine is calibrated for adults and their is a different scale for children.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 08-Jan-09 13:05:36

I'd make sure her height is correct - that's something that tends to change a lot for kids.

EachPeachPearMum Thu 08-Jan-09 13:07:52

DH- as skinny as they come, and low BMI was told at christmas that he was in danger of becoming overweight hmm
Its just the way it 'motivates' you I think.
She needs to realise that the BMI stuff is all for fully grown adults not children- children's weight fluctuates as they go through growth spurts and build-up periods. Even a small bout of D&V from a bug can dramatically change a child's weight.
This is so sad that she is so hurt by it- just keep loving and re-assuring her.

daisydora Thu 08-Jan-09 13:07:56

Anarchy...I agree with your point tbh. We are still encouraging them indoors on a computer rather than out in the fresh air playing in the park or whatever.

Still I do hope op dd doesn't get obsessed by her profile.

LightShinesInTheDarkness Thu 08-Jan-09 13:09:15

AnarchyAunt - thanks for useful link re U-19s, i think that will really help. Sorry did not have the sense to look it up myself.

I also take your point, blondie, that the wii may be helpful.

wannaBe - we bought the WiiFit as a family activity as much as anything else, and its fun with the hula-hooping, ski-jumping etc. Do you think its inappropriate for kids?

AMumInScotland Thu 08-Jan-09 13:09:35

Stress to her that the machine is not set up to give proper values for children and can't take account of the fact that she is still growing. It's saying she is in danger of becoming overweight, not that she is overweight, so she doesn't have to lose weight but needs to keep on eating healthily.

And write to the makers - you also have to enter your birthday, so they should have some setting which works out that they are very young and doesn't give them a complex!

The thing which annoyed me about it was that you always have to have a goal associated with your weight - even if your BMI is pretty good, you still have to have a goal to lose X pounds. If you're "underweight" you have to have a goal to gain weight - my DS is sensible enough to just ignore this, but he is very "slim" (ie the shape of a garden rake) and it keeps telling him to put on weight. Yes, well, when he reaches his twenties he probably will, but till then there's no point in him overeating to try to hmm

LightShinesInTheDarkness Thu 08-Jan-09 13:12:16

anarchy/daisy - i feel obliged to defend myself, but i don't actually think you are getting at me!

We bought the Wii as an 'as well as' the park, football, cycling etc. Not 'instead of'.

notnowbernard Thu 08-Jan-09 13:15:41

I agree with AnarchyAunt

The world is nuts

daisydora Thu 08-Jan-09 13:16:05

Lightshines - apologies I am not having a go at you at all!! I have a Wii, and I think they are great...perhaps I am having more of a go at my own family as my nephews seem to spend every waking minute on it...so they are defo using it as an 'instead of'.

morningpaper Thu 08-Jan-09 13:17:06

it's a glitch in the programme

Experts outraged that Wii Fit calls children "overweight"

morningpaper Thu 08-Jan-09 13:17:49

Daily Mail article

morningpaper Thu 08-Jan-09 13:18:29

"Tam Fry of the National Obesity Forum called for children to be banned from playing the game, claiming the BMI measurement was misleading.

"I'm absolutely aghast that children are being told they are fat," he said.

"BMI is far from perfect but with children it simply should not be used.

"A child's BMI can change every month and it is perfectly possible for a child to be stocky, yet still very fit.

"I would be very concerned if children were using this game and I believe it should carry a warning for parents.""

blondie80 Thu 08-Jan-09 13:18:40

light i agree, the wii is a great way for us to have fun as a family. dd is best at bowling, i'm best at tennis and dh is best at golf. my dd loves the games on wii fit and we try to knock each other off the top spot.

if it wasn't for the wii rainy days would be reading, tv, or board games anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now