Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ok, a quick MN poll -- am I the world's most evil mother?

(35 Posts)
frogs Wed 30-Mar-05 13:45:00

Dd1 (9) has a bedroom to herself, containing a chest of drawers, and enormous double-depth built-in cupboard and a desk with nine (9!) drawers. Despite this all the surfaces and most of the floors are constantly strewn with -- how can I put this? -- crap, to the extent that it's impossible to clean properly, all the drawers are overflowing, the cupboard's a jumble, etc. etc. You know the kind of thing.

Dh has taken the kids to his parents for a week, and while changing the sheets on dd1's bed I noticed a strange smell. Tracked it down to (a) a large babymilk tin filled with very green and furry conkers lurking in the cupboard and (b) a plastic bag containing packed lunch leftovers including some mouldy tomatoes stuffed in a desk drawer.

The red mist has now cleared, and I have assembled three carrier bags full of what I consider to be rubbish, consisting mainly of:
old sticker books from three years ago
bits of half-completed homework from last year
little shiny notebooks with half the pages ripped out
bits of felt with evidence of moth infestation
umpteen three-inch lengths of scoobydoo (that plastic weaving stuff that is the current craze)
a hundred or so shiny sweetie wrappers
empty bubble bath bottles from two Christmases ago
a dozen or so dried-up conkers
a large-pile of half-finished drawings
pages cut out of magazines ages ago and never looked at again
little bits of weaving from her Knitting Nancy

You get the picture. Now most of this she would probably agree to throw away eventually, but it would require half a day of negotiations. Shall I just bin it now and face the fall-out when she gets back? She has been repeatedly warned that I'd eventually snap and go through her room like a dose of salts if she didn't do something about it herself.

Your votes, please, ladies!

Gobbledigook Wed 30-Mar-05 13:46:26

Bin it with no further hesitation - I would! And I know JT would - she did it with db's stuff all the time as he was the same! Actually - she used to dump the whole lot on his bed!

WideWebWitch Wed 30-Mar-05 13:46:26

Bin it. Bet she doesn't even notice. When she wails 'muuuummmmm, where's my empty bubble bath bottle from 2 years ago?' you can say you don't know. Definitely.

NomDePlume Wed 30-Mar-05 13:46:57

bin it. she has been warned.

Nome Wed 30-Mar-05 13:55:10

Bin it. Save the negotiations for stuff that she cares about.

lyndap Wed 30-Mar-05 13:55:42

Bin, bin, bin,bin,bin,bin,bin,bin.
I love throwing out stuff that other people have failed to put away. Gives me a sense of righteous orderiness. Worry not about being evil - I must be even more evil than you 'cos I wouldn't even have asked the MNetters for advice before doing the deed!!You are obviously a nice mummy.

lyndap Wed 30-Mar-05 13:56:20

oops, I mean orderliness.....

frogs Wed 30-Mar-05 13:56:28

Gee, thanks guys! You can always rely on MN for a robust, no-nonsense response. She will undoubtedly notice -- the fact that the drawers close will be a dead giveaway -- but frankly she should have seen it coming. [evil chuckle emoticon]

colditzmum Wed 30-Mar-05 13:56:48

Bin it. And then you can come and do that to my house!

WigWamBam Wed 30-Mar-05 13:57:32

Bin it. You're the boss, and she has to know that you mean business.

colditzmum Wed 30-Mar-05 13:58:41

I too am evil for binning things. I have thrown wires that I know to be important in the bin, simply to reinforce the idea that wire does not live in the bed. And that's dp I'm talking about.......

QueenEagle Wed 30-Mar-05 13:59:07

def bin it, she has been warned! done it with mine on plenty of occasions, they hardly noticed!

PiccadillyCircus Wed 30-Mar-05 14:00:22

Throw it all away.

Definitely

Heathcliffscathy Wed 30-Mar-05 14:00:26

bin. definitely

SoupDragon Wed 30-Mar-05 14:03:43

I would shove it in the shed and if she says anything and is upset be "gracious" and let her have, say, 5 items back. 99% of the cr*p still goes but you appear to be a Reasonable, Caring, Mother.

If she says nothing, bin it after a fortnight.

sunnyskies Wed 30-Mar-05 14:04:21

Bin

HappyMumof2 Wed 30-Mar-05 14:05:59

Message withdrawn

LGJ Wed 30-Mar-05 14:07:07

Bin it and then come back and fill us in on the fall out

jabberwocky Wed 30-Mar-05 14:08:44

I like Soupdragon's idea.

starlover Wed 30-Mar-05 18:22:44

I would bin it!

She sounds EXACTLY like me at her age (and now too, except the mouldy food)... every few months my mum would go through my room and tidy it. I didn't care about privacy and stuff like that at that age, and I always loved my room once it was tidy and vowed to keep it like it! I never did though!

aloha Wed 30-Mar-05 18:24:22

bin

Twiglett Wed 30-Mar-05 18:27:30

Bin it

Bin it all

then pack up everything that was on the floor / in the way and put it somewhere out of reach and tell her you've binned that too -

then tell her you are going to bin anything you find on the floor eveyr singly morning - and do it - at the end of the week you cna give them back to her I suppose

call yourself evil? .. mwahahahahahah

Papillon Wed 30-Mar-05 18:30:47

I vote that you are not the worlds most evil mother - You are cleaning up that is GOOD

Bin bin bin

bonym Wed 30-Mar-05 18:34:57

Bin it, bin it, bin it!!!

paolosgirl Wed 30-Mar-05 18:41:51

Bin it and then tell her you've no idea where it is - which will be true, because you'll have no way of knowing which landfill site it will be in
Ach, she'll not even notice...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now