Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DS has gone from a 7F to a 7.5E over the past few months, still told to wait until he goes to an 8???

(13 Posts)
mamadiva Tue 06-Jan-09 09:09:16

Wasn't sure where to put this.

Basically I had my sons feet measured in Clarks around August/September he was a 7F down from a G, that was fine I took him back in November to get him easured he had gone up to a 7.5F told not to uy new shoes as there was plenty of growth room until an 8.

But then at the end of December I took him in the usual but this time he had gone to a 7.5E saying he had a narrow foot I said so I should get him another pair she said No as there was plenty of growth room to an 8 and the width shouldnt matter.

Is this right or am I right to be hmm?

fishie Tue 06-Jan-09 09:12:19

go to an independent shoe shop where they will fit some shoes to your ds's feet rather than fitting his feet to their stupid bloody shoes.

mamadiva Tue 06-Jan-09 09:13:00

Clarks is the only shoe shop near us and I don't drive.

mamadiva Tue 06-Jan-09 09:23:14

Would you buy new ones?

fishie Tue 06-Jan-09 10:26:53

we go on train, is fun. well it is romford which is less than jolly but you get the idea. actually the last pair i bought ds were mail order but velcro so adjustable.

sheena1 Tue 06-Jan-09 13:22:01

remember clarks always gives you a thumb space this reason i go in get kids feet measured if they say 7.5 i then go in next day and buy the 7 as i know they will fit properly.

LIZS Tue 06-Jan-09 13:23:11

probably not , they should allow half a size anyway.

Tangle Tue 06-Jan-09 13:23:55

Much better to have shoes too wide than too narrow. As long as he is walking fine, then the shoes being slightly too wide won't do him any harm.

Were the measurements all taken by the same person with the same equipment and the same level of clothing on your DS's feet? Is it possible that his feet haven't got narrower, just been measured differently or with thinner socks on?

Personally, from the info you've given, I wouldn't buy new shoes unless I felt they were causing a problem in some way (either rubbing or causing him to trip). You have to do what you feel is right, though.

MegBusset Tue 06-Jan-09 13:26:17

Our local Clarks seem completely unable to measure -- it's always random what they'll come up with. At the end of the day if he's growing out of his shoes then just ask to try on the next size up.

Also DS's feet always measure bigger in the afternoon than in the morning, I think that's quite common...

mamadiva Wed 07-Jan-09 08:50:22

Hey thanks everyone,

I went into Clarks yesterday and got hi measured again just to be sure and he was a 7G apparetly just about ready for a 7.5. hmm

So I took him upto DE Shoes who sell Clarks shoes oo but the staff are alot nicer and they said he was well into a 7.5F and showed me how to check shoes properly and his tes might as well have been poking out of them blush so had to buy DS a pair of 8's which fit perfect

They said should put a complaint into Clarks as they are obv not training their staff properly.

Lemontart Wed 07-Jan-09 09:00:42

John Lewis staff near us are very good at measuring in the kid’s shoe dept. usually go and get measured there first and then shop around. More reliable than the "other" main shoe shop.

LadyMuck Wed 07-Jan-09 09:06:18

But any measure of children's feet should only ever be a guide. The precise measurement can even vary by time of day depending on how long the child has been standing or walking that day. The fitter should check your child's current shoes and indicate whether they still fit, and then check the fit in any shoe that they try on.

Width does matter. If a shoe is too wide then the leather will fold in, and that may squeeze the foot. Obviously if it is too narrow it will pinch, but generally leather will stretch slightly over time.

Tangle Wed 07-Jan-09 22:37:33

Glad you've got a solution you're happy with .

I'm definitely with LadyMuck in that the measurement should only ever be a guide. However, I'm wary of the logic that leather will stretch when it applies to children's shoes - I know it will (my shoes are testimony to that), but a small child's feet are so maleable my gut feel is that the leather would need to be very soft if it were to mould to the feet before the feet have moulded to the leather and/or before the shoes have been grown out of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now