Talk

Advanced search

Just the one or half a football team?

(36 Posts)
bigbrummiebertha Thu 24-Mar-05 13:45:47

A friend of mine said that in his son's class not only did all the children have siblings but his son was one of only two children with only one sibling (ie from families with 2 children). Most of the class had 3 or 4 siblings with 5 children families also reasonably common. I was quite surprised and curious to know if large families are becoming the norm. This is in a well-heeled school in Surrey, by the way (and no, alas, we're not in it!) so not sure if any North/South or post/not-posh conclusions can or should be drawn.

Anyway, not very clearly explained but what I wanted to ask was,if you don't mind me being nosey, how many children does the average MNer have?

colditzmum Thu 24-Mar-05 14:16:29

Midlands, one child, no plans for any more!

jackeroo Thu 24-Mar-05 15:03:22

central london - one child - might have another but would stop there...

plantpot Thu 24-Mar-05 16:58:08

weve got five 2 boys three girls no more for us as darling darling hubby has had the snip

handlemecarefully Thu 24-Mar-05 17:03:24

Two and that will do me. Too much like bloody hard work!

handlemecarefully Thu 24-Mar-05 17:04:28

Forgot to add - not posh but ahem, well heeled. Live in South (nr Salisbury)

geranium Thu 24-Mar-05 18:33:53

plantpot, can I be really nosy and ask why you had 5 children? I'd love a big family but 5 sounds amazingly hard work. I'm in awe!

blueteddy Thu 24-Mar-05 18:54:46

I just have my 2 ds's & am NOT having any more
2 is more than enough 4 me!!!

RudyDudy Thu 24-Mar-05 18:56:36

SW London, 1DS and 1 D? on the way and planning on stopping there.

roisin Thu 24-Mar-05 18:59:27

We have two boys, which is what I've always wanted; definitely don't want any more.

I was one of 5 and didn't like it as a child.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 24-Mar-05 19:05:21

I have 5. 2 boys, 3 girls. Wonderful! DH has now had the snip

throckenholt Thu 24-Mar-05 19:05:50

we have 3 (supposed to be 2 but we got twins second time around ).

A lot of the posher people I know seem to have 3 or more kids (particularly NCT people strangely).

In my family 2 was the norm when we were kids.

happymerryberries Thu 24-Mar-05 19:09:02

Two was fine for us, and we have stopped now.

I was one of two and dh was one of 4

blossom2 Thu 24-Mar-05 19:29:18

i come from a family of 8 kids and apart from my eldest sister who has 4, we all stopped/will be stopping at 2!!!

Reethi Thu 24-Mar-05 19:41:14

I have one, did want 4 or 5 but will probably settle for 2 or 3 if I am lucky enough to conceive as easily as I did first time. Most people in my area have about 2 which is proabably because most children round this way go to private school and the fees are very expensive (mine will go to state school). Hertfordshire btw

geranium Thu 24-Mar-05 19:42:04

throckenholt,

That was my impression too so curious to know why but, I hasten to add, I'm not necessarily assuming that eveyone who replies with 4 or more 5 kids is posh - unless you want me to

throckenholt Thu 24-Mar-05 19:44:20

maybe they think they can afford to have 3 or more, and tend to have bigger houses so don't feel so limited by number of bedrooms ?

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 24-Mar-05 19:48:39

We had 5 because we wanted 4 regardless of income and house size. Ended up with 5 coz number 4 turned into DTs. Fantastic. Couldn't afford number 1, still can't. We live in North London where any number goes.

toomanypushchairs Thu 24-Mar-05 20:03:05

We've got 4. Only meant to have 3 but got dt's last time. Def. no more as husband has had snip. Come from a family of 4 children, always said my mum was mad! Had to eat my words! Live in south east london, Know loads of people with 4, but most we know only have 2 or 3. Don't think I know anyone with only 1 child.

plantpot Thu 24-Mar-05 21:09:19

number four was a great suprise (nine years after number 3 )i was told it would be difficult for me to concieve again(long story)but they were wrong number five was also a suprise (feel like a first time mum with number 4+5 iyswim and cant remember it being quite as hard first time round

Gobbledigook Thu 24-Mar-05 21:13:38

I've got 3 (boys). Certainly not poor.

A friend of mine said a while ago that she has noticed that families that have 3 or more children are either quite 'well off' or quite poor and she thinks the people in the middle tend to stick to 2. Not sure if there's anything in it! Probably not

handlemecarefully Thu 24-Mar-05 21:16:57

No I don't think there is Gdg. I suspect that people's decision on family size are more governed by the personalities of the parents. I'm an untight anal retentive and frankly couldn't cope with more than 2, whereas my laid back friend is planning on 4. I think you have to be a reasonably chilled sort of person to have >2

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 24-Mar-05 21:18:03

I agree hmc, either that or totally barking!

handlemecarefully Thu 24-Mar-05 21:20:52

- which are you?

QueenEagle Thu 24-Mar-05 21:26:17

Hope you don't mind me adding to this thread?

Live in Bedfordshire and have 5 kids. 1 DD aged 13 and 4 x DS's aged 11, 9, 2 and 3mths.

Have recently given up fostering after doing it for 11 years since dd was 16 months old. Cared for probably 30 kids ranging from 6mths to 15yrs.

Love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now