Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Why are we so tired all the time?

(27 Posts)
desperatehousewife Thu 17-Mar-05 18:18:38

DH and I are totally knackered - 2.7 yrs on - and our son has always been a pretty good sleeper. We have no excuse.

There are so many mums around (on MN and in RL) who have 2/3/4 kids, jobs, active social lives and extended families to consider who just seem to have boundless energy for life.

Why is it that with one child and me a SAHM am I always so goddamn tired? We barely ever go out in the week. We occasionally go out on a sat night (but very rarely) and we are falling into bed at 10.30 every single night including weekends. Up at 6.15 every day - but that's not unusual is it?

nutcracker Thu 17-Mar-05 18:22:23

Was wondering exactly that today, when i fell asleep at my computer.

I am a sahm too, but with 3 kids, who mostly sleep well, but i am soooooo knackered just lately that i have to really try to stop myself nodding off at several points during the day.

If you find a cure, be sure to let me know won't you

Papillon Thu 17-Mar-05 18:22:43

Lack of exercise?
Type of diet you have?

Perhaps you just need more sleep and rest than some folks. I surely like to sleep lots so understand the knackered bit.

nutcracker Thu 17-Mar-05 18:24:12

Lack of exercise makes you tired ?????

desperatehousewife Thu 17-Mar-05 18:24:34

I'm wondering if it's the SAHM bit - the fact that there isn't much adrenalin pumping round the body looking after kid(s) - not for me anyway ...and maybe without adrenelin, tiredness just takes over...? Or maybe it's the cold winter months taking their toll?

have I just answered my own question?!

desperatehousewife Thu 17-Mar-05 18:25:58

although the only structured exercise I do each week is an hours tennis lesson - I am exercising more now than ever in my entire life - running round after a toddler and cleaning a big house and putting away toys constantly!

Papillon Thu 17-Mar-05 18:40:29

I think you have answered your question desparatehousewife! Hopefully you get some sunshine soon and can find some renewed energy

for nutcracker exercise

vict17 Thu 17-Mar-05 19:02:27

exercise invigorates you and gives you more energy and stamina for life (supposedly) nutty

flamesparrow Thu 17-Mar-05 19:07:51

Oooh, mood food pills (I can't remember the name of the site) - they are various amino acids etc, and they give you that boost. They do cost a small fortune, but I would happily hand over all my hard saved pennies for them. I'll find a link if anyone wants it!

It is best to avoid caffeine if you are taking a full dose though... I went slightly hyper!

jangly Thu 17-Mar-05 19:10:41

I think you might have answered it in your 6.25 post! Especially the cleaning the house bit - that's knackering!

jangly Thu 17-Mar-05 19:12:14

And it can be a bit boring, being a sahm. That can feel like tiredness.

Lonelymum Thu 17-Mar-05 19:38:42

Having outside interests can boost your energy levels, no matter what it is. And don't believe that all the Mners with more than one child are full of boundless energy: I have 4 and dh and I often go to bed at 9 . If you are lucky, it doesn't take much to conceive another child, after all!

HUNKERMUNKER Thu 17-Mar-05 19:40:59

Try going to bed at 10pm for a week and seeing whether that makes a difference - you might need a full 8 hours?

jackeroo Thu 17-Mar-05 20:07:05

feel exactly the same as you desp hw.. i'm a sAHM with one son who usually sleeps ok. but me and DH are also constantly knackered. before DS came along we used to like our lie-ins and now never get them... but i reckon it's the fact that you never really get to switch off completely, whether it's one child or three... it's a full time job around the clock and nothing like a job you can leave 'at the office'... i do agree that it it gives you a boost to get out tho...

desperatehousewife Thu 17-Mar-05 20:14:11

jackeroo - totally agree.
flamesparrow - GIVE ME THE NAME OF THE PILLS!!!

Am feeling like Lynette from DH at the moment - just wish I had some ADHD pills to steal!

flamesparrow Thu 17-Mar-05 20:32:32

Found the link... It is the "mood food" ones.

mood food

WestCountryLass Thu 17-Mar-05 21:23:44

I do not suffer from tiredness and I go to bed late but I eat really well and do exercise twice a week.

I must confess to thinking for some people tiredness is a mindset * running away before lynching begins *

swedishmum Thu 17-Mar-05 21:38:40

I'm exhausted at the moment - I thought living abroad for 6 months would be a break - Ha! Home ed for dd11, dd9 and ds8 as we're here for a short time and dd had 11 plus, also ds dyslexic and not flourishing at school. Reading much improved since at home. Also caring for dd14 months. Mum can't come over to help - hosp for big cancer op (went well). Dh works all hours and I get no ex-pat company support as he is self employed. Don't know if I'm knackered or going round the bend. Failed so far to find babysitter I can trust with 4 kids. Oh, and dh snores.
I know other people have it much worse than me - apologies for being a bit sorry for myself tonight.

Tommy Thu 17-Mar-05 21:41:34

Because it's bloody tiring being at home all day with small children!! It's relentless which is why I think it's so knackering - you never get a break. I find it makes a real difference if I get to sit down for 20mins or so when DS1 is at nursery and DS2 is having a nap (only on Monday mornings!)

flamesparrow Thu 17-Mar-05 21:58:59

I eat well, excerise, and have outside interests and I'm still wiped out (whether I think myself tired or not)... I think some people just need a hell of a lot more rest than others!!!

dot1 Fri 18-Mar-05 08:47:50

dp and I are just permanently tired. I think it doesn't matter how many/few kids you've got and what you do - working at home or outside of home, those first 6 months of hell when you're (possibly) breastfeeding and having broken nights take their toll!

And don't forget the underlying stress of having someone else in the world you're utterly responsible for - it's a huge massive responsibility and such a change from being childless that I think mentally it all adds to feeling knackered...

I think we'll catch up on our sleep and restore energy levels in the end, but I reckon when the kids are about 10?!!!

flamesparrow Fri 18-Mar-05 08:51:33

Ahh, but by then you'll be worrying about secondary schools, and then a few years on it will be where they are and what they're doing... I was planning on sleeping when they move out!!!

dot1 Fri 18-Mar-05 08:56:46

Don't...! When friends with older kids tell me they spend their lives shouting at them to get out of bed and stop being so lazy, I just don't believe them!!!

jackeroo Fri 18-Mar-05 08:58:54

perhaps i'll invest in mood food... we have a stiff drink to relax but that isn't always great in the long run. i think spring weather helps - it's easier to get out and about...

flamesparrow Fri 18-Mar-05 09:03:48

God no - if they want to be lazy and lay in bed, just leave em... don't waste your time and energy shouting at them!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: