Talk

Advanced search

None Food Rewards

(8 Posts)
mumski Wed 16-Mar-05 13:44:05

I've fallen in to the trap of rewards my kids with food/sweets for good behavour. As my 9 year old is a bit on the heavy side it's such a stupid thing to do. My eldest is 10. What does everyone else reward their children with?

handlemecarefully Wed 16-Mar-05 13:44:39

Ummm - chocolate. Bad isn't it. I should be a bit more creative too.

jamiesam Wed 16-Mar-05 13:48:08

Friend has a list of activities that child can choose from (so that they don't choose something very expensive or time consuming).

We foolishly agreed to a visit to the National Railway Museum as a reward recently - a lovely day was had by all, but I hope ds doesn't expect all his rewards to be this quality. Will be quite a relief if he agrees to an ice-cream next time!

anorak Wed 16-Mar-05 13:51:13

A comic or kids' mag?

When mine were little I used to use a trip to the library as a treat, and they loved it, but DH thinks they were abnormal

Shopping with mum?
Football in the park with dad?
sit and play their favourite game with them?
Read them a story?
Let them do a craft activity?

bundle Wed 16-Mar-05 13:52:57

stickers, pens, very occasionally limited bits of chocolate (those m&s choc bunnies etc). surprisingly fruit too eg blueberries (v expensive!) and mango

KarenThirl Wed 16-Mar-05 16:40:00

Points on the star-chart that add up at 10p a sticker and determine how much pocket money he gets for the week, then the chance to spend some of it at a car boot sale. It's a double-whammy because I can withdraw the privilege if he misbehaves afterwards, but he still has the pocket money reward.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 16-Mar-05 16:41:43

DS1 likes magazines, and stickers.

When he was tiny, one big reward I remember was a trip to the laundromat! We do have a washing machine at home, but he loved washine machines, so a whole room of them, woohoo!

I'd think magazines, outings, and activities would be good for that age?

mumski Sun 20-Mar-05 21:33:20

Hi Thanks everyone for the suggestions - they are very helpful and I'll be trying them all out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now