Talk

Advanced search

How do you take things from toddlers...

(9 Posts)
alittleteapot Tue 04-Nov-08 15:01:53

...without seeming to show snatching as acceptable?

dd - 16mo - particularly likes to run around with things like toothbrushes in her mouth, ie not great idea. occasionally, i have snatched or prised from things from her hand (only in time emergency or safety concern) but obviously that's not great role modelling, so just after any tips.

CrushWithEyeliner Tue 04-Nov-08 15:05:17

pull out something more way exciting from the toy basket and they will let go, gently take it away

alittleteapot Tue 04-Nov-08 15:08:27

thanks, yeah, that works sometimes but sometimes she knows what i'm up to...

theinsider Tue 04-Nov-08 15:08:28

It's not snatching when it's you. Persumably you've asked her to give it to you first so it's "enforcing your request" grin

spicemonster Tue 04-Nov-08 15:10:35

I say 'not a toy' and take it away. He sometimes squeals but quite often laughs. It is a triumph for him when he has grabbed the phone hmm

LadyPenelope Tue 04-Nov-08 15:14:38

I'm with the insider. If you need to take something away from them, it's either because it's dangerous(toothbrush in mouth, something small they can swallow), something precious or breakable of yours , or a toy they've snatched from another kid. If they don't give it back when asked and if distraction doesn't work then a bit of force is sometimes necessary and it's not called snatching when you do it grin

Flamesparrow Tue 04-Nov-08 15:17:51

aww this is a serious thread.
I was all prepared with "hit em with a big hammer first"

Tickling helps.

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 04-Nov-08 15:23:21

Tell her to say bye bye to the toothbrush. That has worked with my 23 month old for the last few months, anyway.

alittleteapot Tue 04-Nov-08 15:29:50

tickling is a good suggestion, as is bye bye (she likes practicing things like that)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now