Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Weaning nightmare.

(5 Posts)
Taralk Mon 03-Nov-08 17:52:20

I have two little boys (4 and 2) who took to solids like ducks to water. I weaned both of them around 4 months as they were both big and very hungry babies. I now have a 5 months old daughter who was born three weeks early and 6lb 8oz. Since day one feeding hasn't been easy. She's never really been that interested and I feel like I'm force feeding her. I gave up breastfeeding in the beginning as she was losing a lot of weight and even after moving to formula she took a while to get into a proper routine. She's now sleeping through the night fine and doesn't seem unsettled but I was advised by the Health visitor to start introducing solids so that she would get used to it. It has been an absolute nightmare. I've tried giving her a few teaspoons of rice, carrot & butternut, even apple but so far nothing has gone down very well. I've tried doing it when she hungry and when she's content but everytime it just sends her into a rage and she ends up screaming and coughing up the little bit of food I've managed to get in her mouth. I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

moshie Mon 03-Nov-08 18:00:35

Well she's obviously not ready so I'd leave it. 26 weeks is the recommended age for solids so the HV shouldn't be telling you differently. Have a browse through the weaning board on here and look up baby-led weaning.

lulumama Mon 03-Nov-08 18:02:48

yes, stop giving her food. current and recent advice is to introduce solids around 26 weeks, when your baby is showing signs of readiness.. e.g sitting unaided, loss of tongue thrust reflex, ability to pick up a piece of food and get it to their moouth and chew and swallow

milk is still the primary source of nutrition for the first year. so offer as much milk as she wants and don;t offer solids for a few more weeks, if she is sleeping and settled, then solids are not really necessary

shame on your HV for giving you that advice.. there is no reason to introduce solids, just so babys get used to it hmm

hanaflower Mon 03-Nov-08 18:02:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Taralk Mon 03-Nov-08 18:23:17

I feel like a first time Mum all over again. Although my boys were very different in personality I still felt like I knew what they needed and how to tackle all the various stages. My little girl is a completely different kettle of fish! I am going to giving up with the solid as suggested as it is just stressing both her and I. I have never heard of BLW before. I've just googled it and from what I can gather I just sit her at the table with us and give her finger type foods? She is 22 weeks this week and doesn't have any teeth yet (both boys started getting teeth at 4 months), if she still hasn't got any by the time she's 26 weeks should I still start it then?

Thanks so much for your help so far!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now