Talk

Advanced search

chairs highchairs etc for soon to be 6mth old

(24 Posts)
wahwah1270 Mon 03-Nov-08 12:49:09

my dd will soon be aproaching 6 mths and will have outgrown her bouncing chair, and need a high chair.

can anyone please recomend a follow on for a bouncing chair as i have read that she can no longer use her bouncer.

also my dh loves the bloom fresco highchair but is it worth the price?

We were bought the pine table/high chair combo when my DS was 6 months. He is now 4.5 and still uses it - the high chair (without tray or straps etc just as a higher chair IYKWIM) for eating with us, breaking it down into little chair and table for him to eat his dinner in front of the TV (very special treat and not often - when older kids are having a carpet picnic) and he uses the 2 piece combo for his art & crafts etc. Most versatile chair and I can see us using it for quite a while to come !

cmotdibbler Mon 03-Nov-08 14:04:59

The only high chairs worth getting are the Tripp Trapp or the Ikea Antilop. Both are easy to clean, and the Tripp Trapp lasts till they are adults. The Antilop only costs 15 quid, so that doesn't matter that they'll outgrow it

wahwah1270 Mon 03-Nov-08 14:17:32

thanks

angel1976 Mon 03-Nov-08 14:36:52

Someone wrote a long moan about the bloom highchair in another thread (Products maybe?). I wouldn't get that, it looks like there's too many crevices for food to get into. I got a booster chair but got so sick of cleaning it. In the end we got the Ikea Antilop and it was the best thing ever. So easy to clean and they can't slouch in it like they can in the other highchairs. My DS is a TERRIBLE sloucher! Also, you can get an inflatable cushion for the Ikea Antilop if your LO is not sitting up too confidently yet.

pamelat Mon 03-Nov-08 14:39:56

We paid quite a lot for a high chair and have since preferred the Ikea £12 one, its so easy to clean. Our "proper" high chair is filthy after just 3 months and is a pain to take apart.

DoNotAttempttoblowupparliament Mon 03-Nov-08 14:43:28

IKEA IKEA IKEA

Single piece of moulded plastic so no nooks and crannys for food to get trapped.

Can stick it in the shower or under the hose after a bolognese grin

Can stick it in the boot to take to Grandma;'s or on holiday (along with 2 suitcases, a travel cot, a pushchair and the kitchen sink grin)

If you don't like it you have only paid £15. I bought mine on the proviso that I would get my £100 Chicco Polly when I didn't like it. I never looked back.

overbuurvrouw Mon 03-Nov-08 14:47:35

The Bloom is very attractive but I've heard a lot of negative things about it. Resistgrin

I understand the temptation of design highchairs and scummed to it myself! I originally got a poncy highchair (Inglesina Zuma) and it was hellish. The seating position was awful and it needed constant deep cleaning.

The Ikea Antilop and the Stokke Tripp Trapp are the two acknowledged greats. In an ideal world I'd start with an Antilop at six months and move over to a Tripp Trapp later on.

I have at Tripp Trapp at home now. It's great and I love the way DD can sit up to the table properly in it. Mind you, I really like the Antilop we have at MILs too though.

picklesmama Mon 03-Nov-08 16:12:45

I've loved the tripp trapp but lack of a tray is a downer at times... I also have a fresco bloom but this is for #2 who is very small - much better than a bouncy chair on the floor when #1 eats her meals! I probably wouldn't have gone for it if not for the fact I'll get plenty of 0-6 month use though. I do love it but can't comment on the hard-to-clean yet but I am glad it has a tray!

We had a Chicco Polly for ds and I HATED it, it was a monster in the room, impossible to clean, seat fabric ripped.

Dd has an Ikea Antilop (which now comes in colours too btw) It is now only a tenner and three pounds for the tray, it is FANTASTIC and even comes apart for travel.

mrsgboring Mon 03-Nov-08 16:23:45

As someone who eats out with a (now toddler) regularly, I've used loads of highchairs and completely agree that the Tripp Trapp and the Antilop are the best by far. All the others the baby slouches, droops, lists over to one side and/or tips over and escapes from.

We have a Tripp Trapp at home - DS sits beautifully in it, it's invaluable for doing craft (easier to control at big table where you can catch painty child getting down - on little chairs they are off in the blink of an eye). You can teach a child to climb in and out of the Tripp Trapp more safely and at an earlier age than any other highchair.

I still use DS's Tripp Trapp and will for many years yet - they really do sit more nicely if their feet are comfortable and supported. I can sit on it if necessary (now baby set is off) Tripp Trapp cushions are a bit naff though - its only real downside IME.

mumtomilkmonster Mon 03-Nov-08 16:31:38

IKEA every time !! We have 3 and are going to be buying a 4th blush - grandma's home, holiday home, childminder's and will be replcing our argos one too !

Cheap but really comfy and DD1 sits great in it still (2.3yrs).

GuysballsintheSky Mon 03-Nov-08 16:35:29

Antilop. Sorry if this is getting repetitive!

Started out with a Mothercare on that MIL got us. Pain in the bum, food in all the creases. It has a new home in the cupboard now. Have two Antilops - red for home and white for my mother's. Love it. Only downside is that DD can now climb out so I need some sort of reins for keeping her in as she's going to be in it for a while yet

pushchair Mon 03-Nov-08 16:51:16

have had a babydan [which is very similar to tripp trapp but cheaper] for two years and it is great. Just got a Red Kite Feed me Comfy here Which also seems to be good and is even cheaper.
When my 4 year old was 6 months ish we had a chicco clip on seat. It was similar to the antilop in that she didnt slump in it and I liked her sitting at the table but it was a complete pain to keep clean.

MamaChris Mon 03-Nov-08 16:58:13

another vote for the antilop here - cheap, easy to clean, tray, ds sits happily. I think the tripp trapp looks great, but I struggle to get ds into it with his long unbending legs. but I've got my eye on it for when he's outgrown the antilop and won't need the baby attachment for the tripp trapp.

wobbegong Mon 03-Nov-08 19:20:54

Just to repeat what everyone else is saying...

If you have money get a Tripp Tripp. They look adorable and grow with your LO.

If you can't afford a Tripp Trapp recommend an Antilop. They look a bit hideous but are very user friendly and wipe downable.

If you bow to your DH and get a Bloom then you are completely insane. Just take a look at all of the places for food to get stuck, not to mention all the palaver with the harness. Also, 6 month old babies do not want to "rest" in chairs (the Bloom tilts back so they can "sleep after lunch", ho ho); they want to leap about. Or at least, my one did.

feedthegoat Mon 03-Nov-08 19:26:05

I love my tripp trapp though must admit my mum bought it for ds's 1st birthday (and gave it us early).I have never found lack of tray a problem as he liked to eat at table wth us. We had a chicco highchair 1st which was ok at start but he hated it. Have taken baby set off tripp trapp now and its still fantastic.

LoolaBoys Mon 03-Nov-08 21:12:49

Will repeat antilop, and for a chair to sit in I reccomend the Bumbo seat, both my two liked it

bessmum Mon 03-Nov-08 21:26:13

Phil n Teds do a brilliant portable high chair (called "Me Too"), for about £30. One of the very best baby things we've bought. It attaches to the table, is very light, folds flat and can be taken anywhere but we also use it as our everyday high chair (despite having a Babydan Tripp Trapp copy which is also pretty good).

saskia71 Mon 03-Nov-08 23:22:28

I have a Bloom Fresco Loft highchair, so can actually speak from experience. The chair is supposed to be in the inclined position for younger babies only, as it is designed to be used from birth. At six months the baby sits in the normal position.

What is the problem with the harness? It keeps the baby in the chair and can be removed and put into the washing machine.

I have the leatherette covering which is easy to clean. In fact the whole chair is easy to clean.

The pricing and design of the Fresco chair is for a niche market, it will never have mass market appeal. It is a very well designed product.

mrsgboring Tue 04-Nov-08 12:44:38

RoSPA do not recommend the use of table mounted highchairs

Gemzooks Tue 04-Nov-08 13:03:48

We got a lovely comfy looking chicco chair and really regretted it, because the food got everywhere!

easy to clean is very important because stuff really gets everywhere..

elkiedee Tue 04-Nov-08 13:24:13

We have a Mothercare wooden highchair which converts to a small table and chair and I think that's an advantage. It's attractive to look at, and not too hard to clean but you don't have to spend that sort of money (£50) on one. Those £15 IKEA ones serve the same purpose, and may be useful if your child spends a lot of time somewhere else and you or eg family want to get more than one.

My mum has a reclining highchair acquired through freecycle for ds, and when he fell asleep in the middle of meals last Christmas (several times, aged 7 months) it was possible to just tilt back of chair back while he napped. We were still eating so were sat next to him.

ramonaquimby Tue 04-Nov-08 13:31:50

We have 3 tripptrapps - def worth the money

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now