Talk

Advanced search

When did you move your dc into a bed?

(22 Posts)
sammysam Mon 03-Nov-08 12:33:56

DD is 2.3 and everyone we know with similar aged children have put them into beds-mosta a while ago.
Left to our own divices I don't think we'd even have talked about it yet, and we are just wandering why and when people do?!

DD is in a cot bed so has plenty of room and we still use grobags so she can't climb out so that isn't an issue.
I'm being made to feel very strange by a few people.....maybe we should convert it?!
I know we should just go with our own thoughts/feelings of there being no rush but she is the only dc we know still in a cot!

mamaspanx Mon 03-Nov-08 12:59:41

if your dd is happy then don't disturb her or change a thing!!! ds1 went into a big bed...no cot bed when he was about 2.3, because he was really to big and would bounce up and down threatening to break the cot. each child is different and he is very biddible so wse told him not to get out of bed and he never did (until he was out of nappies!)

your child is happy = keep you happy!

firststeps Mon 03-Nov-08 13:03:33

hi sammysam - ds1 is 2.11 and still in a cotbed with the siddes on blush he moves all over in the night so we are reluctant to move him into a bed and he has never attempted to climb out. We are going to leave him until he outgrows the cotbed!

belgo Mon 03-Nov-08 13:05:22

DD1 moved into her own bed at aged 19 months having climbed out of her cot and injured herself - she removed her grobag first, she could get out of it even if it was zipped up at the back.

nailpolish Mon 03-Nov-08 13:06:41

18 mths

every child is different
dotn let other people bother you with their opinions, go with how you feel smile

Marne Mon 03-Nov-08 13:08:38

dd1 was 17 months, dd2 is 2.8 and still in a cot as she wont stay in a bed and has asd so does'nt comunicate well or understand 'no'. Dd2 will be going in a bed at christmas as she's getting too long for her cot.

cmotdibbler Mon 03-Nov-08 13:12:22

We took the side off DS's cot (it's the Stokke one, so you can take the middle panel out, but leave a bit round them) when he was 2.3. Did it because he was starting to want to climb out in the morning.

CapricaSpoox Mon 03-Nov-08 13:21:29

dd was 2.4. I wish I'd left it longer cos there was no end of hassle at bedtime for a good while afterwards, once she discovered she could get up when she was supposed to be staying in bed!
However, the reason I did it when I did was because she had managed to climb over the side of the cot & fall out.

My advice for whenever you do it is be absolutely clear about how you will deal with bedtime shenanigans, before you do it - it didn't help that I had no clue what i was doing & completely messed it up in the first few weeks, it caused me no end of trouble.

But really, if she's happy and she's not falling out or anything like that, I'd personally keep the peace for as long as you can!!

Jas Mon 03-Nov-08 13:25:51

DS IS 2.8 and still in a cot (not even a cotbedblush) We tried him in a bed a few months ago and it was a disaster. He likes the cot, so I think I'll keep him in it until he can't fit any more.

Flier Mon 03-Nov-08 13:26:35

dd is 2.5 and still in her cot. We will move her to a bed probably around christmas time, and only because she is starting to want to climb out of the cot, so its no longer safe.

AMumInScotland Mon 03-Nov-08 13:34:47

About 15 months, because he was very close to being able to climb out (quite tall for his age, and seemed to have inherited some rock-climbing genes). There's no rush if she's not looking likely to get out.

silverfrog Mon 03-Nov-08 13:38:57

dd1 was 3.4 blush.

she is ASD, though, and was happy in her cot, so we left her there - no attempts to climb out, no problems at all. an dwhen we moved her into a big bed (proper single, rather than take bars off her cotbed) she was absolutely fine, and loved it - no up/down all night (she still hasn't worked out that she could open her door if she wanted to)

sammysam Mon 03-Nov-08 14:31:10

That is what we were thinking but have been a bit blush about it as i'm sure everyone thinks we are very odd not to move her!
She climbs everywhere at every chance but she has not once tried it when in her grobag-and also has never tried to get out her bag [phew] so I think we have been lucky!!
I think we'll just go with our guts and keep her as she is for a while yet grin

GunpowderTreasonAndLemon Mon 03-Nov-08 14:37:53

DS at about 15 months -- he started objecting to his Grobags and once he wasn't wearing those he could climb out easily. If you are all happy then no need to change anything.

pelvicflawed Mon 03-Nov-08 17:25:55

Glad I've read this thread - I keep feeling I must be the only mother with a 2.5 yr old in a cotbed with the sides still on - at least I know I'm not. DS hasn't managed to climb out (in can climb in but not out) and is quite happy with the sides up. I'm not going to worry about it now until he does or shows signs that we will climb.

notsoteenagemum Mon 03-Nov-08 17:45:34

DD had a spare single bed in her room and at 14 months asked if she could sleep in it and that was it no more cot, DS on the other hand stayed in his cot until we moved house when he was 2.6, however he wouldn't sleep in the bed of the cot bed only on his mattress on the floor this lasted for 6 months until his bedroom was decorated and he got a junior bed.

mummatoone Mon 03-Nov-08 18:15:52

Sammy

My LO is 3.8yrs now. He has ALWAYS slept in gro bags I even got the next size for 4 years old. He has always slept 12 hours.

At 2.6months I decided to convert the cotbed as "everyone" else was doing this. NIGHTMARE BEGAN!!!!!

He hated it full stop, wasnt used to a pillow, quilt etc... had 5 weeks of him waking 3 times every night. I did not give in.

Until I suddenly thought...he is so scared of bedtime, sleeping and was very, very stressed. I was exhausted, plus the cotbed WAS NOT as big as I thought.

I put him back into his cot, in his gro bag, for the next 8 months he slept 12 hours, like a baby and was back to his very, very happy selgf.

One day out of the blue, he asked for a big boys bed when we were at Ikea.....end of story!

Conclusion - if your child is happy, content, sleeps well do not move him. If you need the cot for a newborn - buy another or borrow one. Who says that you HAVE to move to a bed at 2.6? No one.

Hope this has helped

sammysam Tue 04-Nov-08 09:36:10

Thank you!
Mummatoone-very helpful-dd has always been a good sleeper and has always slept in a grobag-you are very right-we will keep her as she is!
She is very interested in duvets and pillows at the mo so we might consider getting her used to those in the cot after christmas and see how that goes first, then sometime next year think again about the bed thing grin
There really is no rush though is there! Must really start not to care what everyone else does-our dd is the best sleeper of the lot so we must be doing something right grin
Great idea to let her tell us I think!!

mumof2andabit Tue 04-Nov-08 10:00:21

Ds was just under 18months when we put him into a bed. Now at 2 1/2 he is perfectly settled but we had MONTHS of getting out because he wasn't tired......I'm not looking forward to doing it earlier with dd this time round but will have to as this baby will need the cot!

ScroogeAllYearRound Tue 04-Nov-08 10:04:48

15 months.

mamainstripes Tue 04-Nov-08 10:08:46

My ds had just turned 2. We did it because he kept taking off his nappy and peeing through the bars so we got a bed and put a potty in his room. As a parent you will be made to feel strange about a lot of things. I have a friend who put her ds is a bed at about 16 months and complained that he kept getting up. She took the bed guard off really early too and he kept falling out. She also called parent and toddler group 'school' and hyped him up into a frenzy about going to 'big school' when he started playgroup at 2.5. Thats really strange. My BIL was in a cot until he was 7 and is a lovely well adjusted man.

mummatoone Tue 04-Nov-08 10:25:43

Now my DS is in a bed (3.8yrs) I still have the guard on - again why take it off, whats the urgency? Its not in the way, its not hurting him so why not keep it on - I may take it off when he's 10!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now