Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Do you have a "Look"?

(31 Posts)
ALMummy Sun 02-Nov-08 19:17:55

I thought about this the other day and then Hecate mentioned her "Look" on the hitting thread. I have a "Look" that could stop Godzilla in his tracks but have been told that it is actually a very negative thing to do to your child - negative disapproving looks etc.

I find my Look extremely effective. Do you all have a "Look"?

NotBigNotClever Sun 02-Nov-08 19:22:30

Yep, I have a "disappointed look". Seems to work well and shames my dcs into better behaviour on occasion. Big fat raspberry to the idea that it is harmful to my dcs...

WhizzzBangWhizzzOOOooAhhhh Sun 02-Nov-08 19:25:05

I have perfected the art of disapprived raised eyebrows across a classroom (I'm a TA in secondary) - usually does the trick.

The same look is wasted on my DS, so I just tell him grinwink

ALMummy Sun 02-Nov-08 19:25:11

Mine is more along the lines of an "I am beyond astounded at your behaviour", combined with "there is a great deal of trouble in the post for you if you continue with this course of action".

Lucycat Sun 02-Nov-08 19:27:06

a slight narrowing of the eyes and a glare over the top of my glasses - that's why i wear them for work

also a teacher

SuperBunny Sun 02-Nov-08 19:27:31

I have 2:

A sometimes smiley, raised-eyebrow, warning, 'I know what you are about to do... you are not going to do it, are you?' look which usually ends up with DS & I giggling and him not doing the thing he was going to.

and an 'I am really upset/ disappointed/ cross that you did that' look which I don't really like but do anyway.

Tortington Sun 02-Nov-08 19:28:42

yes i have a look

i have a 'voice' too.

v. quiet it is

i can be quite menacing

ALMummy Sun 02-Nov-08 19:30:02

Actually I suppose I have two as well. I have a really surprised and sad look after ds has tipped his younger sister off the bed or taken a toy away from her. I don't want to show anger if he is mean to her, rather sadness so he feels sorry rather than resentful.

Troutpout Sun 02-Nov-08 19:35:45

yes.. a raised eyebrow one

Tn0g Sun 02-Nov-08 19:35:46

I do have a 'look'

Inherited it from my mother and it's very effective.

< lowers head slightly, glares and purses lips >

DesperatelySeekingSanity Sun 02-Nov-08 19:36:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Caz10 Sun 02-Nov-08 19:40:53

Oooh I am a teacher and definitely have a few looks I use at work - current fave with year 6 is one that says "there isn't the SLIGHTEST chance that you are even going to THINK of going ahead with that behaviour....it would be such a disappointment to our very high class standards, it would really be letting yourself, and me, down" grin

DD is only 10mths I wonder when I'll first need to use it on her?!!

My mum was a secondary teacher and she definitely used her school look at home - I am not scarred for life by it as far as I can tell!

hecate Sun 02-Nov-08 21:28:14

Nah, you need a Look. Mine can stop an autistic boy in his tracks! Beat THAT fecker then!!! grin grin

They should send me to war zones! wink

asdmumandteacher Sun 02-Nov-08 21:33:43

hecate do you have a child with autism?

blueskyandsunshine Sun 02-Nov-08 21:34:27

I've developed a sort of intimate secret headshake, as if there are other people in the room and we don't want them to know that I'm about to tell you off if you do that -- sort of thing.

I have no idea why it works. I still have a "look" though the children just "look" it back at me now. Thank you God for the mystifyingly successful headshake.

hecate Sun 02-Nov-08 21:36:19

I have 2, asdmum.

Chopchopmissy Sun 02-Nov-08 21:37:38

Oh yes - I have a look!!!! Sometimes it even works shock but only sometimes blush

asdmumandteacher Sun 02-Nov-08 21:38:59

Jees - my autistic boy won't even look at me to give him a look...nice job!smile

hecate Sun 02-Nov-08 21:40:41

grin it's been hard but worth it. grin

LovelyDear Sun 02-Nov-08 21:41:55

I WANT A LOOK. i just have a shout, which is totally ineffective, of course.

ScottishMummy Sun 02-Nov-08 21:42:32

aye!it is a woah there tonto look.works a treat too (on lo and boyfriend)

mamalovesmojitos Sun 02-Nov-08 21:45:05

yes i have a look!

it says 'dont even think about continuing this behaviour'.

totally works. i dread the day that dd is a narky teenager and is no longer scared by the look.

misselizabethbennet Sun 02-Nov-08 21:48:35

Of course I have a 'look'. Doesn't everyone? Mostly I use it when we're out and I don't want to cause a scene.

Used sparingly it's surprisingly effective.

GentleOtter Sun 02-Nov-08 21:57:02

I have a 'gutted' look. It comes from despair and complete disappointment. You know the one - if you have been out and secretly hope that the kitchen has been blitzed when you come back....oh,it has not... gutted.

One day the wind will change and I'll be left with it forever. <sigh>

SoWhat Sun 02-Nov-08 22:39:40

My DD is only 5 months so don't yet have to use a "look". Fully intend to though as my mums was very effective!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: